The Steve Keim decision-o-tron

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not franchising CC. The window was closing but would’ve liked to have seen that DL together for one more year. I don’t think BA was his biggest fan though.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I was just trying to think of a recent example (any example?) of Steve Keim making the right decision given 2 options.

For example, he had the option of keeping Honey Badger around because he was still under contract. He's had 3 years of over 1000 snaps and has been superb the 2 years since we cut him. He had a binary option, keep him or don't and picked wrong.

Same with DJs contract. He should have seen him play before extending him.

Same with Calais. While money was an issue he put us in the position because he didn't plan to have the money to keep him.

Suggs or Golden? Chose Suggs.

Resign Tony Jefferson? No thanks.

Resign Massey? Nuh-uh

Pretty much all his draft picks are fails. Isabella or DK? Diche or Chris Jones?

He's picked up some good outside FA's over the years but they weren't necessarily binary choices, we needed some interior pass rush and Dwight Freeney was available for example.

But given a choice such as extend or don't extend? Draft A or draft B? He seems to make the wrong choice.

Any other bad one I missed or good ones I'm forgetting?
The correct answer to Keim is always Miller Lite.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The correct answer to Keim is always Miller Lite.

This constant alcoholic reference to Steve Keim is just as bad as someone making blatant racist remarks on a forum. Yes, he had a problem and might still have one but it shows a total lack of respect for the human condition and I am really surprised that this is still allowed on the forum... I like your posts LIAC but this approach is no longer funny and really quite the opposite

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This constant alcoholic reference to Steve Keim is just as bad as someone making blatant racist remarks on a forum. Yes, he had a problem and might still have one but it shows a total lack of respect for the human condition and I am really surprised that this is still allowed on the forum... I like your posts LIAC but this approach is no longer funny and really quite the opposite

I get what you are saying and you are correct.

Does it apply to Keim though? As far as we know it was just a one off dumb decision.

Like a police captain breaking the law or a priest sleeping with a parishioner it diminishes his authority on everything going forward. Especially when you look back at Floyd and Massey.

Probably going to follow him forever. Or at least until he starts doing a good job.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get what you are saying and you are correct.

Does it apply to Keim though? As far as we know it was just a one off dumb decision.

Like a police captain breaking the law or a priest sleeping with a parishioner it diminishes his authority on everything going forward. Especially when you look back at Floyd and Massey.

Probably going to follow him forever. Or at least until he starts doing a good job.

SK is a former NFL Executive of the Year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not franchising CC. The window was closing but would’ve liked to have seen that DL together for one more year. I don’t think BA was his biggest fan though.

we had to pay Chandler Jones. People really forget that when they complain CC walked. We also offered CC more money than Micheal Bennet who at the time was his biggest comp.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No one has control over their race. A multimillionaire has control over not getting an extreme DUI on the most heightened day of concern for alcohol consumption in the United States.

Especially no excuse for someone who was caught once and should have learned exactly how impactful such a poor decision can be. I'm not one to constantly put down someone struggling with addiction, but I'm all for people who dislike a guy who put others' lives on the line.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
talk about a false equivalence... and I’m not defending Keim.

The equivalence is saying "he was executive of the year" means nothing. That was in 2014.

What someone was doesn't equal what they are now. We average 5.75 wins over the last 4 years and haven't had a winning season in any of them. That's on him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one has control over their race. A multimillionaire has control over not getting an extreme DUI on the most heightened day of concern for alcohol consumption in the United States.

Especially no excuse for someone who was caught once and should have learned exactly how impactful such a poor decision can be. I'm not one to constantly put down someone struggling with addiction, but I'm all for people who dislike a guy who put others' lives on the line.
Have you ever been close to somebody battling alcohol addiction?
If you haven’t then you or anybody else have no idea the battle it is.
Either that or you are an alcoholic in denial. It literally changes your brain to a degree where you lose the ability to make reasonable decisions.

It’s cruel to belittle Keims problems to this board. I say problems because he is battling the demons of alcohol today and will, ( pay attention) for the rest of his life. If your not an alcoholic or have never been saddled with helping someone through this then perhaps you have an excuse to bash him. Hopefully you or anybody else will never have to face that battle.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Either that or you are an alcoholic in denial. It literally changes your brain to a degree where you lose the ability to make reasonable decisions.

It’s cruel to belittle Keims problems to this board. I say problems because he is battling the demons of alcohol today and will, ( pay attention) for the rest of his life. If your not an alcoholic or have never been saddled with helping someone through this then perhaps you have an excuse to bash him. Hopefully you or anybody else will never have to face that battle.

Is Keim an alcoholic though? I've never seen anything out there regarding that. In fact I have seen posts from several people in various places saying they have seen Keim out drinking with various people, including Vance when we hired him.

That would suggest he's not alcoholic or he would be dry right? Bidwill would insist on it.

I always thought it was a really dumb one off mistake.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Keim an alcoholic though? I've never seen anything out there regarding that. In fact I have seen posts from several people in various places saying they have seen Keim out drinking with various people, including Vance when we hired him.

That would suggest he's not alcoholic or he would be dry right? Bidwill would insist on it.

I always thought it was a really dumb one off mistake.
Perhaps. But we don’t know what his situation is. It’s okay to talk about his mistake that night. But any further than that is unfair and judge-mental. And those people that have seen him how do we know he isn’t drinking coke, ginger ale or seltzer water.
We have a lot of football stuff to talk about. Making snide riemarks about Keim shouldn’t be part of it.

JMHO.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Look, no one knows about whether Keim has a problem or not.

My issue lies in all of the stories around town about his attitude towards the service industry, and his partying ways even after this story broke.

Don't make me look for it, many people have said it on this board via a friend of a friend.

But even with all of that...... His work performance over the past 5 years has been remarkably poor IMO. Standing on its own...... its worth a firing.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't care for Keim because of his on the job performance. His bungling of the draft has hurt this team, his dead cap could even be excused if the reason we had the dead cap is because we had a bunch of young guys making old guys expendable...but that isn't the case at all.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I have addressed my own battles with alcohol on this forum before, and I'm pretty candid about it. My grandfather died of complications from cirrhosis, many people around me have DUIs (it's a major thing in Vegas), multiple friends of mine have been hospitalized due to either alcohol or opioid addiction... I could go on with how badly these things affect people's lives.

I do have some measure of sympathy, and it's why I generally don't go out of my way to heckle him for it. However, most of the people in my life who have had these problems haven't made the same mistake twice of drinking and driving. To my knowledge, their work performance hasn't been abysmal for multiple years running.

And for those with addiction in my life, I rarely hear about them out in public seemingly making the same mistakes, whereas it sounds from the rumor mill like he might still be out partying and carrying on. I understand some of the outrage.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have addressed my own battles with alcohol on this forum before, and I'm pretty candid about it. My grandfather died of complications from cirrhosis, many people around me have DUIs (it's a major thing in Vegas), multiple friends of mine have been hospitalized due to either alcohol or opioid addiction... I could go on with how badly these things affect people's lives.

I do have some measure of sympathy, and it's why I generally don't go out of my way to heckle him for it. However, most of the people in my life who have had these problems haven't made the same mistake twice of drinking and driving. To my knowledge, their work performance hasn't been abysmal for multiple years running.

And for those with addiction in my life, I rarely hear about them out in public seemingly making the same mistakes, whereas it sounds from the rumor mill like he might still be out partying and carrying on. I understand some of the outrage.
Then you should totally understand. But I’m not going to tie “ mistakes” at his job to his DUI. Maybe it is. Maybe the guy was plastered everyday. But we don’t know that.

Every GM has made dumb decisions and it wasn’t because they were drunk or an alcoholic. The point is this. Let’s call Keim a ********. We can call him stupid and totally inept. But it’s simply wrong by us to bring up his dui in this forum.

Peace brother.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Then you should totally understand. But I’m not going to tie “ mistakes” at his job to his DUI. Maybe it is. Maybe the guy was plastered everyday. But we don’t know that.

Every GM has made dumb decisions and it wasn’t because they were drunk or an alcoholic. The point is this. Let’s call Keim a ********. We can call him stupid and totally inept. But it’s simply wrong by us to bring up in this forum.

Peace brother.
I get and totally respect your approach. I think I just have a thick skin over the whole thing, because I’ve personally had a lot worse said to me by people who are a lot closer to me, and I’ve never gotten into legal trouble, any fights, or had my job affected.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get and totally respect your approach. I think I just have a thick skin over the whole thing, because I’ve personally had a lot worse said to me by people who are a lot closer to me, and I’ve never gotten into legal trouble, any fights, or had my job affected.
Count your blessings.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I’ll freely admit it’s a bit of a low blow. He should’ve been let go then. It’s my way of voicing my frustration with him. I have immediate family members who are addicted to drugs and alcohol. Perhaps in my bitterness I feel it gives me license to state such darkly comedic things.

My intention is not to offend others here.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I have a family member who's battling it and the effects it has around their immediate family and the struggle is heartbreaking. The person has not harmed anyone as say in a car crash etc. but this is not just about the afflicted but those such a person can harm who have nothing to do with having the addiction, which makes the cause of alcoholism irrelevant. To mock someone constantly is not productive, while also makes a mockery of those injured in a DUI who are innocent bystanders... and I dig Loyaltie's posts/person frankly and probably would not have even felt irritated if not from my personal experience with the subject which is recent

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll freely admit it’s a bit of a low blow. He should’ve been let go then. It’s my way of voicing my frustration with him. I have immediate family members who are addicted to drugs and alcohol. Perhaps in my bitterness I feel it gives me license to state such darkly comedic things.

My intention is not to offend others here.

I think we also need to separate alcohol / alcoholism and the act of driving while drunk. I don't think anyone has an issue with drinking and everyone appreciates the problems of alcoholism.

But driving while twice the legal limit is something different. I have no sympathy for those who drink and drive (twice). He could have killed somebody and it could have been one of your local somebodies.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we also need to separate alcohol / alcoholism and the act of driving while drunk. I don't think anyone has an issue with drinking and everyone appreciates the problems of alcoholism.

But driving while twice the legal limit is something different. I have no sympathy for those who drink and drive (twice). He could have killed somebody and it could have been one of your local somebodies.
I get it but you have to fully understand what alcoholism does to the brain. It physically and chemically changes the brain and gets worse over time.
It changes it to the point that the brain is incapable of making decisions. I’ve been guilty myself of saying what an ass****. Call an Uber. Not for one minute am I saying it should be excused. Bottom line most people don’t understand the deep effects on an individual and it’s worse the longer and the more the alcoholic drinks.
im going to close my responses about this by saying simply it should not be a topic in this forum.

Let’s talk football.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose