Simple Solutions

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You simply cannot throw the baby out with the bath water. This team is better today than it was at this time last year. We are not going to the Super Bowl in 2020 but we want to take another step forward. Many of our “ problem salaries” and question marks should and will be answered by the end of this season. Every season pieces are replaced. But to simply tear it apart and go backwards is not the answers. At this point it may be for the Bengals however I believe we are past that phase.

This is why we are where we are though. Keim every year thinking he has a team that can win goes out and blows his wad on X, Y and Z on short term deals, or coming off a bad injury with no thought to the long term future. Guys like Gilbert ($6m burned), Crabtree ($3m burned), Alford ($6m burned), Rosen, Gresham, Suggs, Swears, Bradford, Iupati, Glennon, Philon, Bethea etc

In total $72m of cap space didn't see the field this year.

While other teams have 3-4 year plans Keim is operating year to year. Saddling us with more bad deals for bad players, more dead money and more backloading that restricts what we can do the next year. Rince and repeat.

It's what he has been doing since 2015.

Extending poor to average guys like Hump and AQ is the ultimate symptom of that behavior. We can't go on doing the same old crap. I guarantee we are here in a year to 18 months bemoaning the awful deal we gave Hump and how we get out of it just like we are the other DJ.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
People need to go watch more Hump. He dreams of being middle 3rd and literally nobody in the football analyst world sees him that way.

Ok, its pretty clear what your OPINION is, you repeat ad nauseum all over the board. We will just see what the teams opinion is coming up this offseason, that is really all that matters.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, its pretty clear what your OPINION is, you repeat ad nauseum all over the board. We will just see what the teams opinion is coming up this offseason, that is really all that matters.

It seems to be a popular topic of discussion. If people say they think he is good I'm going to disagree, that's how opinions work. But I will always put the effort it to show why, as I did today when I posted the Ravens clip and all his whiffs or the Kyler is #1 in avoiding pressure video I posted yesterday we he evades 2 sure fire sacks that were on Hump.

If the shoe was on the other foot I'd hope you and others would do the same.

I've never understood why people get pissy with dissenting opinions on discussion boards. It's the whole point of them. Would be boring as hell without them.

OP
OP
tnmike

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good grief Dude It's just a game

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
It seems to be a popular topic of discussion. If people say they think he is good I'm going to disagree, that's how opinions work. But I will always put the effort it to show why, as I did today when I posted the Ravens clip and all his whiffs or the Kyler is #1 in avoiding pressure video I posted yesterday we he evades 2 sure fire sacks that were on Hump.

If the shoe was on the other foot I'd hope you and others would do the same.

I've never understood why people get pissy with dissenting opinions on discussion boards. It's the whole point of them. Would be boring as hell without them.

Well it gets hard to take when its the same thing repeated OVER and OVER almost like its personal, like Humphries kicked your dog. That isn't adding to the board discussions it is annoying.

I think every single person who has read this board over the past couple of weeks is pretty clear what your opinion is and just because someone disagrees with it doesn't make them wrong.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
People need to go watch more Hump. He dreams of being middle 3rd and literally nobody in the football analyst world sees him that way.

We have watched Hump. And we have watched Batiste, Levi Brown, LJ Shelton, Lomas Brown, Jared Veldheer, Mike Gandy....and all the other LTs the Cardinals have had over the years.

Humphries is easily among the best Cardinals offensive lineman since I started watching the team circa 1994. That is slightly an indictment, but it is what is.

What collectively this board knows, is that Humphries is not a bad player. You may disagree, but most of this board believes Humphries is at least an average starting LT in the NFL. You may not see this but in probably what is the majority opinion is that Humphries is an improving YOUNG offensive lineman.

The biggest gripe a lot this board has had with Keim is his inability to retain quality veterans.

You dont let solid starting OL go for maybes. Probably 70% of the time, that will blow up in your face. Let him go and draft Thomas, Wirfs (who some scouts dont even think can play RT), or Wills. What if we do that and the one we draft is Greg Robinsom reincarnate? How will this play out if Humphries becomes the next Bobby Massie? Kyler Murray wont be happy if it plays out this way.

Then you say sign Cordy Glenn, a guy over 30 who has had significant injury issues. Yes so has Humphries, but Humphries just played 16 games and is only 26. That historically looks like a move that will blow up in the Cardinals face.

The smart move is the cautious move, but even that move has some risks: franchise DJ Humphries. That way if he has injury issues you can walk away. The risk is that he takes another step forward and now you have to pay him even more.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well it gets hard to take when its the same thing repeated OVER and OVER almost like its personal, like Humphries kicked your dog. That isn't adding to the board discussions it is annoying.

I think every single person who has read this board over the past couple of weeks is pretty clear what your opinion is and just because someone disagrees with it doesn't make them wrong.

As I've said it's been an active subject. What am I supposed to do when someone replies with a counterpoint? Just ignore it? Everyone has the option to skip reading.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We have watched Hump. And we have watched Batiste, Levi Brown, LJ Shelton, Lomas Brown, Jared Veldheer, Mike Gandy....and all the other LTs the Cardinals have had over the years.

Humphries is easily among the best Cardinals offensive lineman since I started watching the team circa 1994. That is slightly an indictment, but it is what is.

What collectively this board knows, is that Humphries is not a bad player. You may disagree, but most of this board believes Humphries is at least an average starting LT in the NFL. You may not see this but in probably what is the majority opinion is that Humphries is an improving YOUNG offensive lineman.

The biggest gripe a lot this board has had with Keim is his inability to retain quality veterans.

You dont let solid starting OL go for maybes. Probably 70% of the time, that will blow up in your face. Let him go and draft Thomas, Wirfs (who some scouts dont even think can play RT), or Wills. What if we do that and the one we draft is Greg Robinsom reincarnate? How will this play out if Humphries becomes the next Bobby Massie? Kyler Murray wont be happy if it plays out this way.

Then you say sign Cordy Glenn, a guy over 30 who has had significant injury issues. Yes so has Humphries, but Humphries just played 16 games and is only 26. That historically looks like a move that will blow up in the Cardinals face.

The smart move is the cautious move, but even that move has some risks: franchise DJ Humphries. That way if he has injury issues you can walk away. The risk is that he takes another step forward and now you have to pay him even more.

Wait -- Bobby Massie is good! I'd kill to have kept Bobby Massie.

Humphries in 2019 was as good as Veldheer and L.J. Shelton. He was better than Levi Brown and Mike Gandy. When he was on the field in 2018, he was probably about as good as those guys, also. My opinion is that he came into a contract year and decided to play through some injuries that he wasn't willing to do earlier in his career. If that's the case, you're probably not going to learn anything more about him now than you would by tagging him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why we are where we are though. Keim every year thinking he has a team that can win goes out and blows his wad on X, Y and Z on short term deals, or coming off a bad injury with no thought to the long term future. Guys like Gilbert ($6m burned), Crabtree ($3m burned), Alford ($6m burned), Rosen, Gresham, Suggs, Swears, Bradford, Iupati, Glennon, Philon, Bethea etc

In total $72m of cap space didn't see the field this year.

While other teams have 3-4 year plans Keim is operating year to year. Saddling us with more bad deals for bad players, more dead money and more backloading that restricts what we can do the next year. Rince and repeat.

It's what he has been doing since 2015.

Extending poor to average guys like Hump and AQ is the ultimate symptom of that behavior. We can't go on doing the same old crap. I guarantee we are here in a year to 18 months bemoaning the awful deal we gave Hump and how we get out of it just like we are the other DJ.
First, we cannot assume Hump will get a long term 50m deal. I can live with tagging him, agree to a way more friendly contract ( 10 m) or finding his replacement. I just fear if we cut him loose and HOPE his replacement is there at #8 that we might be settling for a guy that will not fill the spot adequately.
I know you have constantly brought up grades from various sites but expecting a rookie to step in and grasp the terminology, offense and continuity with his linemen isn’t a given. How will we feel if the rookie missed a blitz pick up and Kyler gets blindsided and suffers a dislocated shoulder. Yes, yes I know it could happen with whoever is our starting LT. But can you imagine this board exploding as Humphries is starting and performing for somebody else.
The posters here have a VERY short memory and would be blasting Keim for letting him walk.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First, we cannot assume Hump will get a long term 50m deal. I can live with tagging him, agree to a way more friendly contract ( 10 m) or finding his replacement. I just fear if we cut him loose and HOPE his replacement is there at #8 that we might be settling for a guy that will not fill the spot adequately.
I know you have constantly brought up grades from various sites but expecting a rookie to step in and grasp the terminology, offense and continuity with his linemen isn’t a given. How will we feel if the rookie missed a blitz pick up and Kyler gets blindsided and suffers a dislocated shoulder. Yes, yes I know it could happen with whoever is our starting LT. But can you imagine this board exploding as Humphries is starting and performing for somebody else.
The posters here have a VERY short memory and would be blasting Keim for letting him walk.

I don't disagree with anything you say in principle. I understand the risks and pitfalls involved and it's not an ideal situation.

If we had a bunch of cap space or didn't have to resign a load of starters or this team didn't have so many holes to fill I wouldn't be so bothered about extending Hump.

But with the situation Keim has put us in there has to be a major compromise somewhere and it's just my opinion that Hump walking is the best compromise.

I was thinking. Can you think of a similar situation happening before? Where a team has been in a position where they have to give a top 5 extension or tag a LT who was a bottom half performer because their GM didn't have a backup plan?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Not keeping our drafted talent is a problem..... has been a problem...... and must be fixed immediately. Massie was good!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you say in principle. I understand the risks and pitfalls involved and it's not an ideal situation.

If we had a bunch of cap space or didn't have to resign a load of starters or this team didn't have so many holes to fill I wouldn't be so bothered about extending Hump.

But with the situation Keim has put us in there has to be a major compromise somewhere and it's just my opinion that Hump walking is the best compromise.

I was thinking. Can you think of a similar situation happening before? Where a team has been in a position where they have to give a top 5 extension or tag a LT who was a bottom half performer because their GM didn't have a backup plan?
Keims biggest mistake was believe at the end of the2017 season that all he needed to do is what he had been doing all the while in addition to adding a QB to replace Palmer.

Keim had to come to grips after the 2018 season that we had to start over and he did that starting with Kyler and Kliff. I doubt at this moment he believes we are on the brink of blossoming into a formidable winning team.

We are in year two of the rebuild. We are not going to sign aging injury prone free agents to big contracts. That’s why I believe we will try to keep the offense status quo in free agency and spend remaining dollars on defense.

Come draft day I would not be shocked if we draft Lamb and the rest of the draft on defense. Save one pick for a RB maybe fourth round.

I think many of the debates here stem from a plan where we fix everything. It can’t be done barring a miracle. We need to accept the fact that we are going to fall somewhat short of whst we’d all like to see happen. Thus the ongoing saga of fix this, fix that and the disagreement of fix that and fix this.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

2 sacks in over 1000 snaps = mediocre.

I'll buy two.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Keims biggest mistake was believe at the end of the2017 season that all he needed to do is what he had been doing all the while in addition to adding a QB to replace Palmer.

Keim had to come to grips after the 2018 season that we had to start over and he did that starting with Kyler and Kliff. I doubt at this moment he believes we are on the brink of blossoming into a formidable winning team.

We are in year two of the rebuild. We are not going to sign aging injury prone free agents to big contracts. That’s why I believe we will try to keep the offense status quo in free agency and spend remaining dollars on defense.

Come draft day I would not be shocked if we draft Lamb and the rest of the draft on defense. Save one pick for a RB maybe fourth round.

I think many of the debates here stem from a plan where we fix everything. It can’t be done barring a miracle. We need to accept the fact that we are going to fall somewhat short of whst we’d all like to see happen. Thus the ongoing saga of fix this, fix that and the disagreement of fix that and fix this.
I really enjoy this take. Good stuff.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2 sacks in over 1000 snaps = mediocre.

I'll buy two.

As I keep saying. Using sacks of a barometer of performance when you have an ultra evasive QB isn't accurate. I could show you several whiffs by Hump that would have been sacks with 90% of QBs.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I keep saying. Using sacks of a barometer of performance when you have an ultra evasive QB isn't accurate. I could show you several whiffs by Hump that would have been sacks with 90% of QBs.

As 'we' keep saying; 2 sacks is TWO sacks!

While your at it, you can give us the over 1000 snaps where he didn't whiff.

Our ultra evasive QB was credited as the cause of 22 sacks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As 'we' keep saying; 2 sacks is TWO sacks!

While your at it, you can give us the over 1000 snaps where he didn't whiff.

Our ultra evasive QB was credited as the cause of 22 sacks.

2 sacks is 2 sacks you're right. The problem is you trying to use them as a barometer for talent when I've showed you several sacks avoided that would have been on Hump if not for Kyler.

We disagree. That's fine. I'm not going to change my mind about him. Neither are you. That's fine too.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hump didn't play well last year. So I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about rolling with a rookie.
Oversimplification - assumes that a prototypical rookie (of unproven ability) will automatically be better than Hump.

More prudent strategy - keep Hump. Sign or draft one or more LT's. If Hump can't prove he deserves to start, consider moving him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose