With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I hope we trade down for more picks, we have many needs! 2 Oline, 2 Dline, Linebackers that can cover tight ends, a CB and a ball hawk free safety.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
From DJs mock draft.

@Dr. Jones might lose it if we take him over Simmons, Jeudy and Lamb :grabs:

PICK

Tristan Wirfs - OG
School: Iowa | Year: Junior

The Cardinals need to protect their investment in Kyler Murray. Some believe Wirfs will stay at tackle in the NFL, but I see him as an All-Pro-caliber guard at the next level.

Hahaha..... I would be so sad.

But I have been warming to Wirfs. He is definitely my 2nd OT behind Thomas. I just like Simmons, and Jeudy more. And probably Lamb. But definitely Simmons & Jeudy.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hahaha..... I would be so sad.

But I have been warming to Wirfs. He is definitely my 2nd OT behind Thomas. I just like Simmons, and Jeudy more. And probably Lamb. But definitely Simmons & Jeudy.
How would you feel if the plan was to start him out at OG?

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How would you feel if the plan was to start him out at OG?
Wirfs at OG? I would be worried personally.

Drafting him that high, when he has played a ton of RT already, would make me worry that the coaching staff has no faith in him. I view Murray as the weakest spot on our line. Murray, Shipley, Pugh, Hump, Sweezy (worst to best) in that order actually.

With that in mind..... the two single greatest talent upgrades we can make at the 8th pick would be LBer (Simmons) or OT (Wirfs/Thomas/Wills). All three have played RT and can play it well.

Wirfs fits our schemes much better than Wills and just a bit better than Thomas IMO.
Thomas is the most NFL ready right now but may have a lower ceiling than Wirfs.
Wills is a great prospect and I think he's our guy if we want a Guard. He can be a top 5 guard in the league IMO.

A hypothetical I like is this: If we did a Wirfs / Biadascz first and second round...... It could be a major game changer for us.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

"I think Wirfs has All-Pro potential at guard."

that last Daniel Jeremiah line at the end made the sad trombone sound in my head

he also loves Mecki Becton, ranking him at #10

Ringer has Becton at #16

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Drafting him that high, when he has played a ton of RT already, would make me worry that the coaching staff has no faith in him. I view Murray as the weakest spot on our line. Murray, Shipley, Pugh, Hump, Sweezy (worst to best) in that order actually.

With that in mind..... the two single greatest talent upgrades we can make at the 8th pick would be LBer (Simmons) or OT (Wirfs/Thomas/Wills). All three have played RT and can play it well.

Wirfs fits our schemes much better than Wills and just a bit better than Thomas IMO.
Wills is a great prospect and I think he's our guy if we want a Guard. He can be a top 5 guard in the league IMO.

A hypothetical I like is this: If we did a Wirfs / Biadascz first and second round...... It could be a major game changer for us
I basically said this another thread. Fix the C/RT spots for the next 10 years (hopefully)

Hopefully find a sleeper WR on day 2 or day 3.

I think if we build up the line, improve the run game (thats not just Kyler/more like how Drake ended the season) we'll start finishing more drives with TDs.

I think Kyler could survive another year with mediocre/inexperienced weapons. I think Arnold at TE could be real gem as well.

Kyler with time and teams fearing the run game could be a winning formula.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here are the guys I hope we come out of draft with no matter what order after Round 1:

OT Andrew Thomas
OC Cesar Ruiz / Tyler Badiaz
CB Lamar Jackson
EDGE Bradlee Anae
WR Gabriel Davis
OT Jon Runyun

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

A hypothetical I like is this: If we did a Wirfs / Biadascz first and second round...... It could be a major game changer for us.
It would be a similar route as Brandon Scherff. Any All Pro on our line would be a great get especially on a rookie contract. I think they would definitely try him out at RT first knowing they could drop him into the RG spot after Sweezy vacated it next off-season. (for the record, I think Wirfs will be fine at RT)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-pff-top-100-big-board-update

fwiw --PFF just updated its top 100

setting QB aside, i go from 1 all the way to #21 before i see a player i say "meh" to.

i dont know who would trade up, or why, but if the Cards can deal down in this draft into the teens and get another 2nd rounder.......
PFFs draft rankings are always interesting as it is soley based on their grading system and is a safe space for them to do so because so many draft picks fail.

An example is their love for Josh Jones out of Houston. Red shirt Sr in a bad conference with questionable length and athleticism but they go off of their grades and have him as the 18th best player in the draft. Mekhi Becton on the other hand is ranked 67 despite being 2 years younger with better athleticism and elite physical traits.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Maybe it's just my tastes but...... Daniel Jeremiah doesn't get much love from me. And putting Mekhi Becton as his top OT seems laughable to me. None of those three are Thomas either. And to also have three OT's go in the top 8 is also laughable to me. In his latest Mock he has Jordan Love going before Herbert also. Not as crazy as Becton but definitely strange.

I miss Mayock's analysis.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe it's just my tastes but...... Daniel Jeremiah doesn't get much love from me. And putting Mekhi Becton as his top OT seems laughable to me. None of those three are Thomas either. And to also have three OT's go in the top 8 is also laughable to me. In his latest Mock he has Jordan Love going before Herbert also. Not as crazy as Becton but definitely strange.

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in DJs mocks. It's not his strong suit.

He's the only guy I've seen mention Guard in connection to Wirfs.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Yeah, let’s draft a guy (Wirfs) at 8 who struggles in space to play OT and needs to kick inside to OG. Sounds like a Bluto move for sure. Beyond dumb!

You draft guys at 8 who are immediate starters and difference makers; not maybes.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think Becton is the best OT prospect in this class. Maybe 3rd behind Thomas and Wirfs. However, Becton has a crazy ceiling. Moving like he does in the 360-380 lbs range is crazy. With his pure size and wingspan, there is no pass rusher in the world that can get around him quickly. And good luck once he gets a hand on you. If there's a run on OT before our pick and Kugler is on board, I'm Not against Becton. Although I'd rather get the stud CB or one of the stud DTs in case of an early OT run.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Mocks are what DJ is hearing, and his top 50 are how he ranks players. I'm not sure if that changes anything for you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in DJs mocks. It's not his strong suit.

He's the only guy I've seen mention Guard in connection to Wirfs.
DJ has a lot of contacts in the league and is consistently close on his mock drafts. Guys who run other websites like Establish the Run and Rotoworld give DJ's mocks a ton of praise as being informed and ahead of trends.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think Becton is the best OT prospect in this class. Maybe 3rd behind Thomas and Wirfs. However, Becton has a crazy ceiling. Moving like he does in the 360-380 lbs range is crazy. With his pure size and wingspan, there is no pass rusher in the world that can get around him quickly. And good luck once he gets a hand on you. If there's a run on OT before our pick and Kugler is on board, I'm Not against Becton. Although I'd rather get the stud CB or one of the stud DTs in case of an early OT run.
His size, age and tools are why teams may like him as the best OT in the draft. The question is do you want a guy with a higher floor or a higher ceiling when drafting in the top 10?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
@Dr. Jones As impressive as Jeudy is in this GIF....I think Ruggs missed out on a TD. I'm not sure the gap between the 2 is that huge.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Oh man..... I love Jeudy. Can't deny it.

Both are so damn good at what they do. Jeudy uses his intense short area quickness to elude press while the threat of Ruggs deep is an ever present nightmare.

I think what you are actually witnessing in that .gif though is the true gift of Jeudy. By that I mean, the CB covering Ruggs has cheating eyes. Noticing the route, and possibly the arm action of the throw to Jeudy allows Ruggs to slip past him.

Of course the inside shoulder fake of Ruggs is perfect as well.

I think the thing you need to keep in mind is this: Does Ruggs play with such intense speed (like Tyreek) that he will make all CB's who are "fast" look foolish by comparison? Is his elite speed so glaring..... that he will be dominant against any and all CB's that cover him. I'm just not that sure personally. There are a ton of fast dudes in the league. And his routes almost always are blow the top off of the coverage routes.

Jeudy has an Elite..... Not seen often in the world trait. I will let the combine be the final judge, but that short area "juke"..... Cheat code level "shiftiness" is off the charts elite.

He will be automatic on "hot routes". Automatic on any man to man level coverage once he and Kyler form a bond. He will almost have to be zone covered at all times because no CB I have ever seen can use technique, power, or veteran moxie on his level of short area quickness.

In short: Jeudy's route tree is not only unlimited..... It's so sudden, violent and varied that in-game adjustments (by K1, K2, and JJ) could overcome any defensive game plan to guard him.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
And I say all of that but still recognize that I love Ruggs. And think he and Lamb are both in tier 2 of the WR's in this draft.

1. Jeudy

2. Lamb & Ruggs

3. Higgins

4. Leviska & Reagor

That's my first 4 tiers.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would love JJ in first round. We do not have that one BIG speed guy that will make the DBs take notice. This will make the WRs even better. Go heavy on defense with Free agency, and draft to fill as many holes as possible with combination BPA/Need balance.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Would love JJ in first round. We do not have that one BIG speed guy that will make the DBs take notice. This will make the WRs even better. Go heavy on defense with Free agency, and draft to fill as many holes as possible with combination BPA/Need balance.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I wouldn't want Herbert as my guy. He just never really put it together and he has kind of that Rosen effect....talented guy, but people doubt whether he really loves football. Some guys are just really good at football in high school and go on to have successful college careers, but fail in the NFL because they dont really love football, they just play because they are good at it.

Jordan Love has big time tools. I know Josh Allen got destroyed on this board, but scouts loved him because hes special at the things you cant teach, but sucked at things that are completely coachable. Love is in the same camp. Athletic and a great arm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson