New Rotation

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
Monty is doing a great job with this suns team. with that said I think the rotation of some players can help the team.

Carter should be the backup PG and should log the most mins there behind Rickey.

Fact is Suns have a huge hole at the spot but Carter plays great D and disrupts the opponent's offense often causing steals and or turnovers.

He can hit the open shot at times and is not afraid to take big shots. He is competitive, energetic
and willing to play his role and not buck the system.

None of the suns PG are perfect none have a great shot so play Carter at least they will have his attributes to help log mins at that spot.

C. Dillio

He will not provide spacing something suns need with the starters. He will bring scoring in the paint.
If the suns hit him for lobs or dump passes when he runs the floor. He can rebound at a decent clip he is young and fits the sun's future timeline. He can alter and block shots. I think within a year he could be a middle-tier player at PF. If he gets more range on his shot no reason he can't become a 12 to 16 pts 8 to 12 rebs per game type of player. He is also a decent FT shooter.

PG Rubio/Carter/Booker
SG Booker/Bridges 6th Man/E.Okobo/Cam
SF Kelly/Bridges/Cam/C.D
PF Dario/C.D splitting mins/Cam/Bridges/A.B
C Ayton/A.B/C.D/Frank

Carter
Bridges
Cam
C.D
A.B

I think they could get 35 to 40 per night as a bench unit. With Bridges and Carter playing great D.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I've been hearing that it's possible that Kelly goes to 6th man for his offense. It makes some sense as that's what the 2nd unit is mostly lacking.
It also will get Ayton more involved earlier, consistently.

All could change if the Suns acquire another scorer before TDL.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've said it before, but Oubre might be better off the bench and Bridges starting. Saric can still start but bring in Oubre 4-6 minutes into the game. Once Ayton or Booker go out with about 8 minutes into the 1st Oubre can go to work.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said it before, but Oubre might be better off the bench and Bridges starting. Saric can still start but bring in Oubre 4-6 minutes into the game. Once Ayton or Booker go out with about 8 minutes into the 1st Oubre can go to work.

I'm not against that happening but the Suns come out so flat already that if Oubre isn't there to provide some spark, I fear it could get worse. Of course it might also help energize everyone else if he comes in at the 4 minute mark to try and get a run going.

I don't envy Monty's responsibilities when it comes to finding a rotation that works. It's been a while since the Suns had enough legit NBA players to make up even a D'Antoni sized rotation but we're at that point right now with 7-8 guys who should play every game.

Even with the inconsistent rotations from game to game and some bad losing streaks, we haven't heard anyone complain to the media about their minutes or role, which speaks to how well Monty is handling things, even if we question it as spectators.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not against that happening but the Suns come out so flat already that if Oubre isn't there to provide some spark, I fear it could get worse. Of course it might also help energize everyone else if he comes in at the 4 minute mark to try and get a run going.

I don't envy Monty's responsibilities when it comes to finding a rotation that works. It's been a while since the Suns had enough legit NBA players to make up even a D'Antoni sized rotation but we're at that point right now with 7-8 guys who should play every game.

Even with the inconsistent rotations from game to game and some bad losing streaks, we haven't heard anyone complain to the media about their minutes or role, which speaks to how well Monty is handling things, even if we question it as spectators.

Im sure Saric has some thoughts but he's a true professional.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im sure Saric has some thoughts but he's a true professional.

He spoke out and voiced his displeasure with his inconsistent role and playing time in Minnesota last year. Of course he wasn't happy about being dealt there in the first place. He's familiar with Monty since Monty was an assistant in Philly with him so I can't see him speaking out before giving Monty time to figure things out.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He spoke out and voiced his displeasure with his inconsistent role and playing time in Minnesota last year. Of course he wasn't happy about being dealt there in the first place. He's familiar with Monty since Monty was an assistant in Philly with him so I can't see him speaking out before giving Monty time to figure things out.

I do have to wonder, though, if that is why Saric continues to get gifted playing time and starts he simply does not deserve...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hopefully one of his thoughts is, "Maybe I should figure out a way to suck less."

That would require a full body transplant. I really do think he tries. He just has the athleticism of an 80-year-old man (and yes, I am speaking in hyperbole here, but his athleticism is nowhere near NBA worthy)...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I just hope the players are speaking up behind the scenes. It has reached a
point of desperation.

Especially after our last game, when Booker played the entire second half.

And Monty had him chuck up a hopeless '3' at the end, because a '2'
would have sent it to overtime and, at least, he knew better than to
risk his stars' health.

Including Ayton almost throwing up from exhaustion after the game.

If it is darkest before the dawn, that time is right now! And, sadly,
it all falls on Jones, who had no credentials for the GM job.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just hope the players are speaking up behind the scenes. It has reached a
point of desperation.

Especially after our last game, when Booker played the entire second half.

And Monty had him chuck up a hopeless '3' at the end, because a '2'
would have sent it to overtime and, at least, he knew better than to
risk his stars' health.

Including Ayton almost throwing up from exhaustion after the game.

If it is darkest before the dawn, that time is right now! And, sadly,
it all falls on Jones, who had no credentials for the GM job.

i get it, you don't like James Jones. What did Jones have to start with and what do we have now?

Yes or no, is that an improvement?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
i get it, you don't like James Jones. What did Jones have to start with and what do we have now?

What we have now are a sub-par and inconsistent starting Power Forward and no
dependable backups at Center, Power Forward, Shooting Guard and Point Guard.

It doesn't matter what we started with. The current Suns are not NBA worthy.

And no, I don't dislike James Jones. There is nothing personal.

His only qualification (if you can call it that) is is that he was one of Sarver's
obedient stooges with no qualifications to step in as General Manager.

I sympathize with the position that Jones is in. He clearly runs Sarver's errands
and does not call the shots.

And, yes, I do not like what Robert Sarver has done to the Suns. Do you?

Or that Jerry hand picked him. Jerry worked his way up to Managing General
Partner. Sarver walked right into it and thought that made him an instant
celebrity and knowledgeable General Manager.

Whereas, Jerry began in the Marketing Department with the Bulls and stepped
up to Assistant General Manager before joining the Suns. Sarver did not of that.
He was a small time banker.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

To start, he had Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Ariza, Warren, Jackson, a future first round pick from Milwaukee, the Suns' lottery pick in 2019, and a whole pile of hot garbage.

Right now we have Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Oubre, Rubio, and a whole pile of hot garbage.

Not an improvement, and it would actually be a significant step down from last year's roster (rather than just neutral relative to last year) if Jones got his way and obtained Dillon Brooks instead of Oubre (giving up at least one additional second round pick in the process) while obtaining Terry Rozier instead of Rubio.

I don't know how anyone in their right mind could call that an improvement as far as the roster goes.

The one and only thing for which James Jones deserves positive credit is convincing Monty Williams to come coach this team. Having a competent coach and an actual NBA point guard (albeit an average one at best) are the only reasons this team isn't even worse than last year's team.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The one and only thing for which James Jones deserves positive credit is convincing Monty Williams to come coach this team. Having a competent coach and an actual NBA point guard (albeit an average one at best) are the only reasons this team isn't even worse than last year's team.

I've been more disappointed than not by Rubio's season and availability overall. While the Spanish World BB tourney title was a nice accomplishment, his leading this team on the point has been sporadic for turnovers, and shooting. It has to pick up if they hope for anything this year or next. His defense is above average for the position and he sees the floor well. We need much more of the Boston game from him on a nightly basis. Having him and Baynes playing better again would be huge. Baynes is another one who played in the World tourney, and he already looks spent compared to the beginning of the year. Both have to play their best for us going forward. And be available.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What we have now are a sub-par and inconsistent starting Power Forward and no
dependable backups at Center, Power Forward, Shooting Guard and Point Guard.

It doesn't matter what we started with. The current Suns are not NBA worthy.

And no, I don't dislike James Jones. There is nothing personal.

His only qualification (if you can call it that) is is that he was one of Sarver's
obedient stooges with no qualifications to step in as General Manager.

I sympathize with the position that Jones is in. He clearly runs Sarver's errands
and does not call the shots.

And, yes, I do not like what Robert Sarver has done to the Suns. Do you?

Or that Jerry hand picked him. Jerry worked his way up to Managing General
Partner. Sarver walked right into it and thought that made him an instant
celebrity and knowledgeable General Manager.

Whereas, Jerry began in the Marketing Department with the Bulls and stepped
up to Assistant General Manager before joining the Suns. Sarver did not of that.
He was a small time banker.

So about James Jones, did he make the team better...yes or no?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty was asked specifically this morning about putting Bridges in the starting line up for Oubre. He said they have and are considering it. But also said that they are both going to get similar minutes regardless of whether who is starting. He did not think who started matters that much overall because the minutes are similar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty was asked specifically this morning about putting Bridges in the starting line up for Oubre. He said they have and are considering it. But also said that they are both going to get similar minutes regardless of whether who is starting. He did not think who started matters that much overall because the minutes are similar.

He should try starting both players. It works in crunch time. When the game is lost by slow starts not much to lose.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Heard the interview live. This is not Monty's call.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So about James Jones, did he make the team better...yes or no?
You're asking the question, then dictating the scope of the answer.

Better, yes. Better enough? Nowhere near good enough.

Not when we have only five quality (or potential quality)
players in a 9-man rotation battling NBA opponents.

Running them into the ground all season long.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stats suggest Suns are better without Saric on the floor.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Over the last 30 games, Dario Saric is only shooting 28.9% on 3s. The Suns are also 4.9 points better when Saric is off the floor during that span.

Have to wonder if the Suns try to deal Saric before the deadline in two weeks. Seems apparent he’s not a long-term fit in Phoenix.

3:09 PM - 24 Jan 2020

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Over the last 30 games, Dario Saric is only shooting 28.9% on 3s. The Suns are also 4.9 points better when Saric is off the floor during that span.

Have to wonder if the Suns try to deal Saric before the deadline in two weeks. Seems apparent he’s not a long-term fit in Phoenix.

I could have told you that the moment the Suns traded for him...Oh wait, I did...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Not tonight.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric had a solid game with 20 points.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BTW, in case you haven't noticed, Bridges has gone completely into the tank since he was benched after his career night in Boston, culminating with the worst game of his career tonight.

In the three games starting with the benching, Bridges is a poor 8-24 from the field (2-12 tonight), a ghastly 2-12 from three point range (1-7 tonight), and a minus-18 total (minus-12 tonight). Yuck.

Last edited: