RUMOR - Cardinals one of several teams interested in Austin Hooper

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we don’t go for a Hooper, I hope we go for TE in the draft. Josiah Deguara in round 5 would be a great pick.

Brycen Hopkins
Hunter Bryant
Cole Kmet
Thaddeus Moss
Harrison Bryant
Adam Trautman
Stephen Sullivan

All work.

Josiah Deguara seems a little redundant to Maxx Williams but I do like him.

Harrison Bryant or Adam Trautman in round 3 would be ideal. Hunter Bryant and Moss are interesting because of their speed but they are definitely under-sized.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
in the spirit of general TE discussion:

a guy I am intrigued with adding. For context -- Williams gives a good solid inline guy who can catch, but wont run away from anyone. Arnold is an interesting red zone guy and also a good blocker

I am looking for someone who can threaten the seam with some speed and athleticism:

Hunter Bryant, Washington. Kinda a H-back type at 6-2, 230 but can run, excellent hands, routes and RAC. Downside: blocking needs serious work. 4th round?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brycen Hopkins
Hunter Bryant
Cole Kmet
Thaddeus Moss
Harrison Bryant
Adam Trautman
Stephen Sullivan

All work.

Harrison Bryant or Adam Trautman in round 3 would be ideal. Hunter Bryant and Moss are interesting because of their speed but they are definitely under-sized.
Nah, Josiah’s athleticism supersedes Maxx’s by a good distance. His agility is sneaky good which makes him able to separate easier than most TEs. He’s honestly more of a younger Clay than anything. Can inline block fairly well & will give most ILBs & even Safeties fits. He was a slot WR in HS.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nah, Josiah’s athleticism supersedes Maxx’s by a good distance. His agility is sneaky good which makes him able to separate easier than most TEs. He’s honestly more of a younger Clay than anything. Can inline block fairly well & will give most ILBs & even Safeties fits. He was a slot WR in HS.
I will take another look.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So that is your basis for discussion, that you will examine every move as the status quo of a past hindrance. That you will admit Kingsbury adapted but let your paranoia run rampant and claim he will be stubborn and do it all over again with a spread full set when he acknowledge that did not work which prompted him to use more TEs and backs. Usually people who are judged as innovative do not go backwards. Would you not say that Kugler has not developed this OL. Would you not say that Kingsbury and Clements have not done some advantageous tutelage with Murray... but then again you cited already this offseason will be abysmal, so I will not yank your chain and let you embrace your theme :)

I'm not saying Kingsbury will move to the status quo, but I am saying that I think he adapted his offense to the available personnel, not adapted his offense because his overall philosophy changed. I'm sure it has evolved, but I don't believe that one year has changed him from "I believe in spread offense concepts and stretching out the line of scrimmage" to "we're running the single wing."

"Would you not say that Kugler has not developed this OL."
Honestly? I'd say it's barely developed. Maybe he made players who stink look okay, but I don't think this OL is anything to celebrate at all. I would replace every single player, in a vacuum.

How is our TE position anywhere close to being "loaded with talent"?
@Jetstream Green mentioned "loading up talent" in the post I was replying to. It certainly isn't loaded right now, but it's also not our biggest problem. It's not even in our top five or ten.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
@Jetstream Green mentioned "loading up talent" in the post I was replying to. It certainly isn't loaded right now, but it's also not our biggest problem. It's not even in our top five or ten.
Adding weapons for our young QB is absolutely one of our biggest problems. Just because people on this board don't view TEs as weapons doesn't mean that they aren't.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Adding weapons for our young QB is absolutely one of our biggest problems. Just because people on this board don't view TEs as weapons doesn't mean that they aren't.
TEs are a weapon. Hooper is not an elite weapon.

Our young QB cannot win games with a last place defense. No QB can.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I confess to a built-in bias of feeling heavy dependance on the TE is boring.

That said - I think the emergence of physical freaks at the position is transforming the role of the TE to kind of Super-Blocker/Receiver who can take over football games. If and when we get one or two of those guys, we can be a TE-heavy offense also. Till then, we should run an offense that gets the most of the guys we've got.
Two TE sets leaves a lot of options. Keep one in to block, keep both in to block, release both into the pattern if there is a mismatch. Of course you need two tight ends to do this . Can Arnold and Maxx that?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very late into this thread and have read almost none of it.

Of course, we should try to upgrade our TE position this offseason. Should do that for every position every year.

That said, by the end of the season, I felt pretty good about our TEs for the first time in a long time. I know it wasn't a lot of plays, but the Arnold kid intrigues me. So, I wouldn't go after a big name.TE in free agency. Defense, defense and more defense. And a RT. Address the offense primarily in the draft. If a good TE falls into our laps in rounds 2 or 3, then I am fine with using a pick on the position.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do people really think 9m on a TE is a good idea when we realistically only have about 25m to spend?

Did we forget Jermaine Gresham already?

You wouldn't rather spend it on OLB? We have none except CJ. Or a DE? We arguably have none. Or an ILB? We have 1 + Jags. Or even a RT?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

·
35s

The #Falcons are planning to allow starters TE Austin Hooper and De’Vondre Campbell to test free agency, GM Thomas Dimitroff said today. The likelihood is that both players receive large deals in free agency, but Atlanta hasn’t ruled out keeping them for the right price.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting Debate.

I find aspects on both sides to have merit. If SK is looking into upgrading the TE position then KK has asked for that. Does that mean SK will spend too much on a TE without a plan to shore up the rest of the roster, I say no.

Can SK create more CAP space by extending PP or restructuring C Jones, yes he can and of course there are other ways to create CAP space as well.

There are a ton of scenarios for SK to improve this roster and looking into Hooper and how he impacts the roster and the CAP and what subsequent moves can be made is just one option to explore.

There is also the thought that the CAP could explode when the new CBA is ratified and it appears that more of a "middle class" will be created so does Arnold get an increase to 3 mil a year under the new CBA and wouldn't it make more sense to sign Hooper for 10 mil and let Arnold go.

At this point I think we all agree that KM needs more weapons and that the D needs help as well. A balance between how much of an impact can be made in FA while trying to set us up so that the draft falls our way is paramount. With 32 teams scheming that's a tough moving target to hit.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
TEs are a weapon. Hooper is not an elite weapon.

Our young QB cannot win games with a last place defense. No QB can.
Then why are the picky Murray people still judging his talent by how many games he might have won with our current roster... sounds like tunnel vision as the stat people look at numbers and not the actual game and all the deciding factors :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Brycen Hopkins
Hunter Bryant
Cole Kmet
Thaddeus Moss
Harrison Bryant
Adam Trautman
Stephen Sullivan

All work.

I'm in the camp that if the right player is at the right pick, pull the trigger, but I'm comfortable with the current crop of TEs on the roster.

Cole Kmet round 2?!?! Absolutely, he could be a monster.

Hopkins round 3?!?! Yes, please.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
11m/year - so happy we didn't sign this guy.

You must be registered for see images attach

Really, with only 6 targets no player is going to have outstanding numbers and he caught 4 of the 6 targets. 9.25 YPC. With your reasoning then cut Fitz because he's has 4 catches for 34 yds at a 8.5 YPC. I think you're passing judgement way to early. :confused:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose