The Steve Keim decision-o-tron

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just trying to think of a recent example (any example?) of Steve Keim making the right decision given 2 options.

For example, he had the option of keeping Honey Badger around because he was still under contract. He's had 3 years of over 1000 snaps and has been superb the 2 years since we cut him. He had a binary option, keep him or don't and picked wrong.

Same with DJs contract. He should have seen him play before extending him.

Same with Calais. While money was an issue he put us in the position because he didn't plan to have the money to keep him.

Suggs or Golden? Chose Suggs.

Resign Tony Jefferson? No thanks.

Resign Massey? Nuh-uh

Pretty much all his draft picks are fails. Isabella or DK? Diche or Chris Jones?

He's picked up some good outside FA's over the years but they weren't necessarily binary choices, we needed some interior pass rush and Dwight Freeney was available for example.

But given a choice such as extend or don't extend? Draft A or draft B? He seems to make the wrong choice.

Any other bad one I missed or good ones I'm forgetting?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyrann was horrible in Houston, mainly down the stretch. Been legit great in KC though.

Not signing Tony really bugged me initially, but his tenure in Baltimore has been really underwhelming, nearing awful.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I will give him credit for having the stones to hire KK & draft Kyler. Those had alternate choices as well so they deserve to be mentioned.

With that being said,

You have to draft good to great players - Fail
You then have to retain that talent - Fail
You then have draft more good talent to build depth - Fail
You then have to manipulate the cap in a way to make it all work in the short and long term - Fail
Good talent + tenure = Culture - Fail

This dude is a long-standing jackhole in the community..... And since the first two years in his role, has been an abject failure in almost every aspect of his job.

I have no faith that he will turn it around after 5 years of this ish.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said in a previous post our posters have a VERY short memory.
A majority ( my opinion ) of posters were not devastated when HB was cut loose. He was a shadow of what he was. Has he recovered from those setbacks? It looks like it. But again most posters were sad to see him go but only because he was a fan favorite.
Campbell got free agency at just the right time and there was no way we could pay him what the Jags did. Honestly it turns out he had a lot more gas in the tank that many of us thought he had.
When he signed DJ I was not upset about it. In fact I was happy. Keim was wrong and so was I.
Never was thrilled with Suggs.
Golden at that point might have been described as injury prone. In fact I really don’t want him back.
Don’t understand Jefferson or Tre Boston especially when they weren’t commanding a kings ransom.
Keims biggest asinine move? Signing Bradford for not one but TWO years AND Glennon to boot. Keim either thought we were a QB away from competing or he didn’t want to give fans the perception of a rebuild.
We will never really know what it cost us by signing Bradford. But the thirty million spent on that bum could not have only filled some holes Back then its more than likely we wouldn’t have as many holes today.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thing that is bugging me the most about Keim right now is that we have been hearing for 2-3 years ...."we don't have money to spend this year...but we will in 2020".

Now it's 2020, and by the time we resign any desirable talent on our own team, we will have like 25 million....which is hardly anything.

How is it that a team like the Colts...who have lost 2 franchise QB's in the last decade...have over 100 million to spend and have every key contributor under contract except Costanzo...who they can easily afford (and he actually deserves the money)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Talk about only seeing one side of the ledger.

Too funny!
He didn't want DJ - He wanted Abdullah

I disagree with the Calais take @slanidrac16 . We didn't want to give him 3 years IIRC and he knew he could get it. Then he went out and won DPOY for another team.

I'm iffy on the Badger thing....... We drafted him, and offered him more money but he left anyways and shot potshots over the bow of the organization leading me to believe he didn't feel the love of the front office.

Suggs was just bad. Not sure why.... but we again overlooked a current asset and chose the aging, more expensive one.

Jefferson & Boston confuse me as well. Especially Boston at his price point and our level of Youth. He chose DJ instead.

I give him a big pass on Steve Wilkes, and all of 2018 because that was an insane cluster. What he doesn't get a pass on is the Bradford deal and all of the dead money decisions this team has made.

He should be fired for Dead money, the 16, 17, & 18 drafts, & the DUI by themselves. For every Budda and Badger, there is a higher profile, more glaring Cooper, Reddick and Nkemdiche IMO.

Think about how we handled Marqui Christian.
Dorian Johnson in the 4th round of 2017.
How drafting Chad Williams and not retaining JJ Nelson & John Brown affected our 2019 NFL Draft strategy.
Bobby Massie, Alex Okafor, Earl Watford, Kareem Martin, Markus Golden, the ST's version of Justin Bethel, & the Badger all went on to contribute elsewhere.

Not all of that is perfectly causal...... But it underlines the ineptitude of his management since the turn of 2014 into 2015.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A majority ( my opinion ) of posters were not devastated when HB was cut loose. He was a shadow of what he was. Has he recovered from those setbacks? It looks like it. But again most posters were sad to see him go but only because he was a fan favorite.
Campbell got free agency at just the right time and there was no way we could pay him what the Jags did. Honestly it turns out he had a lot more gas in the tank that many of us thought he had.
When he signed DJ I was not upset about it. In fact I was happy. Keim was wrong and so was I.
Golden at that point might have been described as injury prone. In fact I really don’t want him back.
Don’t understand Jefferson or Tre Boston especially when they weren’t commanding a kings ransom.
Keims biggest asinine move? Signing Bradford for not one but TWO years AND Glennon to boot. Keim either thought we were a QB away from competing or he didn’t want to give fans the perception of a rebuild.
We will never really know what it cost us by signing Bradford. But the thirty million spent on that bum could not have only filled some holes Back then its more than likely we wouldn’t have as many holes today.

The thing is, fans aren't paid to make good decisions. We've all had some stinkers. I thought Golden was cooked after his ACL and didn't mind signing Suggs.

Keim (and his staff) are supposed to get more right than wrong and whatever we thought at the time they all turned out to be bad decisions. I honestly couldn't think of any recent good ones.

I wasn't attending to start a Keim hate thread. I am honestly trying to see if the ledger is more balanced than I can recall.

FWIW I think the Calais one was the worst. He was the keystone of this defense.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I can help with the good.

The Chandler trade
The Palmer trade
Kyler
Kliff - Jury has a lot of stuff to consider still
Bruce - He was the last choice though. Sort of like David Johnson.
Budda, Badger, Brown in the draft.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Chandler trade
The Palmer trade
Kyler

Dwight Freeney Signing
John Abraham Signing

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Chandler trade
The Palmer trade
Kyler
Sorry to be a Deb Downer but I just hate all the SK hate talk. (more my problem than of the folks who post here).

I get that you want to fire Keim, but being a pro football diehard is all about looking forward.

I'm still nursing my wounds over the mysterious departures of BA, the Badger, Calais and other linchpins of the franchise. In the afore-stated objective of "learning from our mistakes", I'd like to know how some of these decisions were made, who made those decisions and why. (i.e. who made the pass at the wrong guy's girlfriend, why so & so ended up in whose dog-house etc.)

Winning chemistry doesn't happen by accident, but neither does the dismantling of a good core culture.

Net-net: I'd rather learn and improve than constantly attack. What happened to us? Why did everything fall apart so fast?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Sorry to be a Deb Downer but I just hate all the SK hate talk. (more my problem than of the folks who post here).

I get that you want to fire Keim, but being a pro football diehard is all about looking forward.

I'm still nursing my wounds over the mysterious departures of BA, the Badger, Calais and other linchpins of the franchise. In the afore-stated objective of "learning from our mistakes", I'd like to know how some of these decisions were made, who made those decisions and why. (i.e. who made the pass at the wrong guy's girlfriend, why so & so ended up in whose dog-house etc.)

Winning chemistry doesn't happen by accident, but neither does the dismantling of a good core culture.

Net-net: I'd rather learn and improve than constantly attack. What happened to us? Why did everything fall apart so fast?
"What's past is prologue"-- William Shakespeare

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mysterious departure of Badger? He played like absolute DOGSHIT 2 season in a row and played like hell in Houston too. Not to mention he was bad mouthing the organization. I dont care what hes done this year. Him leaving was the right move. A cancer is still a cancer regardless of your name.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mysterious departure of Badger? He played like absolute DOGSHIT 2 season in a row and played like hell in Houston too. Not to mention he was bad mouthing the organization. I dont care what hes done this year. Him leaving was the right move. A cancer is still a cancer regardless of your name.

yeah... i can fault Keim for a ton, but going separate ways with Badger at that point wasn't the wrong move. The wrong move was made TWO YEARS EARLIER when we gave him a huge contract after his SECOND torn ACL before we saw what he looked like on the field. that was idiotic.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He had a 79 PFF grade his year in Houston.

Say what you like about PFF but they don't mistake dog poo for a 79 grade.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dwight Freeney Signing
John Abraham Signing

I don't know if we can always call these decisions. We don't know if Freeney was the only option for example, or a clearly obvious one that late in the season.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Say what you like about PFF but they don't mistake dog **** for a 79 grade.

He was a non factor in Houston and they would have been foolish to keep him for that money, sincerely a Texan who saw and read what the guys in Houston thought about keeping him while PFF plays with numbers

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jefferson got 4-$34 w/ $19 guaranteed which was the biggest safety contract in 2017. Bradford was signed for two years to spread out the $10 million signing bonus, 2019 was a club option year, not a good signing but the contract structure made sense, spread the $10 million signing bonus over 2yrs and if by some freak of nature Bradford was good and you wanted him back you got him for $20 million in 2019. Cap hit was $10.6 in 2018 instead of $15.6

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Say what you like about PFF but they don't mistake dog **** for a 79 grade.
Okay so the many of Houston fans that complained about his play on reddit, other forums, & fans I spoke to in person doesn’t mean anything. PFF rules above all.

George Kittle was PFF’s highest grade at this season so that means he’s the best player in the league over Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Aaron Donald, Chandler Jones, & Stephon Gilmore.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jefferson got 4-$34 w/ $19 guaranteed which was the biggest safety contract in 2017. Bradford was signed for two years to spread out the $10 million signing bonus, 2019 was a club option year, not a good signing but the contract structure made sense, spread the $10 million signing bonus over 2yrs and if by some freak of nature Bradford was good and you wanted him back you got him for $20 million in 2019. Cap hit was $10.6 in 2018 instead of $15.6
Did not remember Jefferson getting that much. Not sure you are totally correct about Bradford. We ate cap space for him for 2019.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An aging roster with no cap space and a belief we were just a broken down Qb away from competing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose