Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was plenty of negativity here even in the Sun's best years. I do not even post in game threads much any more. And if they get blown out, I stay away from the board for a day or so until people cool down. All that negativity is just not good for my own psyche.

I know what you are saying but I have always felt failure makes success all the sweeter. However, all the years of losing has worn on everyone.

Personally I enjoy sharing the game with someone. The game and the players is what it is all about for me. IMO, not a lot to talk about if it doesn't relate to the game.

Need more posters like you to balance out the negativity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t blame him. Suns fans have been toxic towards him recently.

he seems to be pretty well liked in our community. have idiots been slagging him on Twitter? If so that's a real head-scratcher.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you are saying but I have always felt failure makes success all the sweeter. However, all the years of losing has worn on everyone.

Personally I enjoy sharing the game with someone. The game and the players is what it is all about for me. IMO, not a lot to talk about if it doesn't relate to the game.

Need more posters like you to balance out the negativity.

I feel like we need more Ws and competent management to balance out the negativity. This board was practically singing Kumbaya every night when we were 7-4.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I still don't think Monty gets it. Start both Oubre and Bridges at the forward position. It would help cure the slow starts.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I listened live as he made that statement this morning on Doug and Wolf. It was clear that this wasn't Monty's call. He was spouting the company line, but you could tell that he wasn't 100% behind this thinking.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I listened live as he made that statement this morning on Doug and Wolf. It was clear that this wasn't Monty's call. He was spouting the company line, but you could tell that he wasn't 100% behind this thinking.
Once again... spouting opinions as facts to further your own narrative. Nothing Monty said pointed towards it not being his call. It was actually the exact opposite.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Once again... spouting opinions as facts to further your own narrative. Nothing Monty said pointed towards it not being his call. It was actually the exact opposite.

He was searching for words, when he is normally direct and to the point.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm all for starting Bridges over Oubre, Oubre doesn't suck btw.

1. to get Ayton going on offense since Oubre tends to not pass the ball

2. to get Bridges to establish some defensive toughness

3. Oubre comes in 4-5 minutes into the game to provide a spark to keep the 1st qtr from plateauing

I like Oubre and think, just do the makeup of our roster right now, he'd provide even more impact coming off the bench.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

3. Oubre comes in 4-5 minutes into the game to provide a spark to keep the 1st qtr from plateauing

I like Oubre and think, just do the makeup of our roster right now, he'd provide even more impact coming off the bench.

And Bridges would clearly be more effective in a starting role. It's a no-brainer move.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel like we need more Ws and competent management to balance out the negativity. This board was practically singing Kumbaya every night when we were 7-4.

The Ws would come, if only we had competent management...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

I think if Oubre is demoted to 6th man he will not be a happy Sun.
He doesn't pass the ball? He is a scoring Wing, not a Point Guard.
Was Walter Davis ever evaluated on his passing?

Saric can pump a few 3's, but not much else. Should either Bridges
or Oubre be out of the starting lineup? Send Saric to the bench.

Playing without a legitimate starting Power Forward is not ideal.
But the Suns have a long way to go to be an ideal team.

Oubre has not only been our #2 scorer. He is our spark plug!
Psychologically, it is a bad move to demote him. And a bad
move to not develop Bridges as a starter. Because of Saric?

Oubre and Bridges should be part of our rebuilding.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oubre should visit a school. He’s my nephew’s favorite player, and I bet he and Booker are the favorite if anyone under 20.

I’m a middle-aged man looking for a third act, so Rubio for me.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I’m for sending Oubre to the bench. When Book, Ayton and Oubre are out, there isn’t anyone that the opposition fears. Oubre guarantees that one of our best three players is there.

Also, Oubre rarely passes the ball, especially down low, which explains why Ayton isn’t getting as many shots close to the rim.

Furthermore , we need to see if we can get something out of our former Top-10 pick besides situational defense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I’m for sending Oubre to the bench. When Book, Ayton and Oubre are out, there isn’t anyone that the opposition fears. Oubre guarantees that one of our best three players is there.

Also, Oubre rarely passes the ball, especially down low, which explains why Ayton isn’t getting as many shots close to the rim.

Furthermore , we need to see if we can get something out of our former Top-10 pick besides situational defense.
It sounds like you're describing Oubre as a Point Guard. He is not a distributor. He is a scorer.

This concept of position-less basketball is going too far.

We need an NBA calibre backup Point Guard, which is not what Oubre is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you're describing Oubre as a Point Guard. He is not a distributor. He is a scorer.

This concept of position-less basketball is going too far.

We need an NBA calibre backup Point Guard, which is not what Oubre is.

Where do you get the idea that TJ is describing Oubre as a PG? Seems like he's saying that Oubre might be better suited for a role off the bench as a scorer now that Ayton is back because he does get a bit of tunnel vision when he has the ball and looks to score more than he should.

Bringing him off the bench as an instant offense scorer would allow him to play his style more freely because he wouldn't be on the court with Booker and Ayton as often as he currently is. It would spread the scoring around.

I don't know what that has to do with Kelly being a PG or positionless basketball.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Where do you get the idea that TJ is describing Oubre as a PG? Seems like he's saying that Oubre might be better suited for a role off the bench as a scorer now that Ayton is back because he does get a bit of tunnel vision when he has the ball and looks to score more than he should.

Bringing him off the bench as an instant offense scorer would allow him to play his style more freely because he wouldn't be on the court with Booker and Ayton as often as he currently is. It would spread the scoring around.

I don't know what that has to do with Kelly being a PG or positionless basketball.
I responded to TJ's post, "Oubre rarely passes the ball, especially down low, which explains why Ayton isn’t getting as many shots close to the rim."

As a Wing/Scorer, it is not Oubre's job (or skill) to pass the ball into the post to Ayton. Any more than it was Walter Davis' job or Larry Nance's job
to pass the ball into the post. The Wing's job is to score and, ideally, be the #2 scorer on the team, as is Oubre.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I responded to TJ's post, "Oubre rarely passes the ball, especially down low, which explains why Ayton isn’t getting as many shots close to the rim."

As a Wing/Scorer, it is not Oubre's job (or skill) to pass the ball into the post to Ayton. Any more than it was Walter Davis' job or Larry Nance's job to pass the ball into the post. The Wing's job is to score and, ideally, be the #2 scorer on the team, as is Oubre.

Everyone should be feeding Ayton inside, Oubre included. That you give him a pass because he's not a PG makes no sense. No one said it was his primary responsibility but it is one of his responsibilities as his teammate and fellow starter.

It's not just feeding Ayton though, it's passing in general and Oubre is not someone who passes the ball a lot. He can get in his own head and play selfishly on offense more than others on the team. Moving him to the bench would allow him to be the #1 option on offense when he's out there with the 2nd unit, which would help him play more how he's comfortable and provide a scoring punch off the bench, which is desperately needed.

This has virtually nothing to do with what position he plays or position-less basketball, it's about playing team basketball and putting players in a role where their skillset can be most effective and help the team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everyone should be feeding Ayton inside, Oubre included. That you give him a pass because he's not a PG makes no sense. No one said it was his primary responsibility but it is one of his responsibilities as his teammate and fellow starter.

It's not just feeding Ayton though, it's passing in general and Oubre is not someone who passes the ball a lot. He can get in his own head and play selfishly on offense more than others on the team. Moving him to the bench would allow him to be the #1 option on offense when he's out there with the 2nd unit, which would help him play more how he's comfortable and provide a scoring punch off the bench, which is desperately needed.

This has virtually nothing to do with what position he plays or position-less basketball, it's about playing team basketball and putting players in a role where their skillset can be most effective and help the team.

Precisely.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As a Wing/Scorer, it is not Oubre's job (or skill) to pass the ball into the post to Ayton. Any more than it was Walter Davis' job or Larry Nance's job
to pass the ball into the post. The Wing's job is to score and, ideally, be the #2 scorer on the team, as is Oubre.
Everyone passes the ball in a basketball offense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Everyone passes the ball in a basketball offense.
Of course they do. But judging Oubre on feeding the ball to Ayton down low is a specific distributor skill.

Which obviously Oubre does not have. We should still capitalize on his ability to be our #2 scorer and #1 spark plug.

Moving him to instant offense off the bench would diminish both of those roles. Especially replacing him with Bridges,
who is not a scorer. While leaving Saric, who is also not a scorer on a consistent basis, in the starting lineup.

Which is why I have been advocating moving Saric to the bench, not Oubre. At lease until we obtain a starting Power
Forward to complement Ayton's game.

The Suns have so many roster problems that all they can do now is put out fires.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course they do. But judging Oubre on feeding the ball to Ayton down low is a specific distributor skill.

Which obviously Oubre does not have. We should still capitalize on his ability to be our #2 scorer and #1 spark plug.

Moving him to instant offense off the bench would diminish both of those roles. Especially replacing him with Bridges,
who is not a scorer. While leaving Saric, who is also not a scorer on a consistent basis, in the starting lineup.

Which is why I have been advocating moving Saric to the bench, not Oubre. At lease until we obtain a starting Power
Forward to complement Ayton's game.

The Suns have so many roster problems that all they can do now is put out fires.
They are judging him on passing period. Oubre tends to be a ball stopper. That hinders Ayton’s game because the ball does not get in to him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to Oubre, someone needs to score besides Booker.

One of Oubre's best qualities is he is not afraid to take the ball to the basket. It's not like Ayton is standing there for an easy layup if he passes out. Someone has to give the Suns an inside game until Ayton develops.

It seems Oubre is the new Warren for some.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose