OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well thought out. But your key and THE key is the DJ deal happening. Otherwise....?

It's a complicated question to be sure. I personally believe if you can't sign him now you have to franchise him and draft a tackle round 1

I understand why people are advocating not basically overpaying for an average at best OT. It by most measures make sense except for KM. I am not willing to gamble with his health or development.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had to pick between paying another edge or a great ILB and gambling with Reddick. Since I specifically wanted to address our weaknesses I am relying on the DL upgrades to make Reddick more effective.

It's a gamble but I think it's better than the alternatives.

Would you rather let Hump walk, save $10m and draft a rookie to start or role with what you have?

You could have Thomas at LT and Golden at OLB or Hump at LT and Reddick at OLB.

I know which Id rather have.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank you sir. I know this isn't perfect or ideal but mentally it was both fun and a fair amount of effort so I am glad some of you enjoyed it. It also really let me understand I need to temper my off season expectations

I knew that my take on DJ would be a tough pill to swallow but at it's core I believe my order is correct. We must address DJ nearly immediately. Certainly before March 20th. I am going to be really pissed off if Keim just cuts him and we eat the accelerated cap space. That means we are basically punting next year

After that Peterson must be either extended or traded.

This is spot on because we don't have anywhere near the resources to do everything we need to do, not even half the things we need to do really.

It's why I'm so against signing Hump. I get the "not taking any risks with Kyler" aspect but signing an "average at best if even on the field" tackle to a fat deal hamstrings our FA options massively. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

I would argue that Kyler can survive a season of a rookie left tackle. There wasn't a huge drop off between rookies that played this year and Hump. I don't think Kyler can survive another losing year. He looked depressed by seasons end. The guy isn't used to losing. We need to put more wins on the board and for me a stud at OLB or DE does that more than keeping Hump over a 1st round rookie.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its a solid plan. I would rather send DJ to Tampa with a later round pick, or possibly agreeing to take on part of his salary than drop fro #8 to #14 just to dump him.

I would then target Simmons in the 1st, and spend the money you had allotted for Littleton on another position.

Also, back to DJ....Tampa is going to be looking to get out of Cameron Brate's deal. We have need of a TE upgrade, they need a RB. Do you think there is a chance we could work out a deal of DJ and a 5th for Brate and it actually is a pretty good trade for both teams?

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't Leatherwood (possible 2nd round) staying at Alabama?

Hah I was wondering that but he was still on the 3 sources I used for this article. Well definitely not perfect but it means it is even more important to keep the current line intact

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a solid plan. I would rather send DJ to Tampa with a later round pick, or possibly agreeing to take on part of his salary than drop fro #8 to #14 just to dump him.

I would then target Simmons in the 1st, and spend the money you had allotted for Littleton on another position.

Also, back to DJ....Tampa is going to be looking to get out of Cameron Brate's deal. We have need of a TE upgrade, they need a RB. Do you think there is a chance we could work out a deal of DJ and a 5th for Brate and it actually is a pretty good trade for both teams?

Funny you mention that because originally I had us getting Brate or Howard back but I would be floored if that happened.

I mean if Keim can dump DJ and get one of two super talented TEs back while only giving up 6 spots in the draft...I might owe him an apology

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other problem is that I really doubt Simmons makes it to us. It's part of the reason I am willing to trade back. I don't want to risk my defense on an unlikely draft fall

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hah I was wondering that but he was still on the 3 sources I used for this article. Well definitely not perfect but it means it is even more important to keep the current line intact

Why? This isn't a good O line. I think some people are looking back through rose tinted glasses.

Go watch a highlight reel of any game we played a good D line. Rams, Steelers, Saints, Ravens, first Seahawks game when they were healthy and just focus on the O line. Kyler saved them so many sacks. They were not good against anyone with talent, even the Niners games where people seem to think they did well Kyler was running for his life. Plus they rode Drake hard.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
It's a complicated question to be sure. I personally believe if you can't sign him now you have to franchise him and draft a tackle round 1

I understand why people are advocating not basically overpaying for an average at best OT. It by most measures make sense except for KM. I am not willing to gamble with his health or development.
I should have been specific. DJ ~ David Johnson, not Humphries.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? This isn't a good O line. I think some people are looking back through rose tinted glasses.

Go watch a highlight reel of any game we played a good D line. Rams, Steelers, Saints, Ravens, first Seahawks game when they were healthy and just focus on the O line. Kyler saved them so many sacks. They were not good against anyone with talent, even the Niners games where people seem to think they did well Kyler was running for his life. Plus they rode Drake hard.

When we had the best Oline we have ever really had, we had a veteran LT in Veldheer and then we drafted a future replacement who started at RT until he proved himself

This is really the same path I am advocating here.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harris was kicked out of Wisconsin for violating team rules and later was expelled from Illinois State for conduct detrimental to the team. So in four years of college football, Harris was kicked off of two teams and didn’t play in the 2013 season leading up to the 2014 draft.

After the Nkemdiche fiasco I doubt the Cardinals invest big money in a player with major character issues.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harris was kicked out of Wisconsin for violating team rules and later was expelled from Illinois State for conduct detrimental to the team. So in four years of college football, Harris was kicked off of two teams and didn’t play in the 2013 season leading up to the 2014 draft.

After the Nkemdiche fiasco I doubt the Cardinals invest big money in a player with major character issues.

He hasn't had any issues in Denver

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True and he was with VJ in Denver. So I'm sure VJ would vouch for him if he truly believes in Harris.

This is why I think he is our most likely add. Addresses a big weakness and has a history of success with VJ.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Would you rather let Hump walk, save $10m and draft a rookie to start or role with what you have?

You could have Thomas at LT and Golden at OLB or Hump at LT and Reddick at OLB.

I know which Id rather have.

It is a very debatable situation. Both are a risk in one way or another.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
My favorite part of this, is someone out there agrees that you pay Rodney Gunter. He is good depth and versatile. Not to mention AZ is his biggest fan apparently.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose