Trade down food for thought

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Lets assume the following:

Detroit at #3 gets an offer from the Chargers and trades down. LAC takes Tua.

Miami at #4 knows the remaining QBs dont deserve #4, so they take BPA

Cards show up at #8 with Herbert still on the board.

Miami figures that Jax takes him, or if not, Indy or Tampa will.

they offer #18 and #26 to the Cards

Do you make that trade?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Add DJ and his contract, give back the Drake pick, and it's a deal.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Lets assume the following:

Detroit at #3 gets an offer from the Chargers and trades down. LAC takes Tua.

Miami at #4 knows the remaining QBs dont deserve #4, so they take BPA

Cards show up at #8 with Herbert still on the board.

Miami figures that Jax takes him, or if not, Indy or Tampa will.

they offer #18 and #26 to the Cards

Do you make that trade?
I’m definitely tempted... but it sounds a lot like the trade that netted us Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace, which were actually better picks from a lower spot, so I’m going to say no. Toss me a 2nd too and I’m interested.

I’m probably calling up those other teams though and seeing what they’ll give me.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm the dolphins and the talent needy situation they are in why do I trade away draft capital. IMO you look at a team in the teens that think one move can get them over the top there are plenty of teams that think they are just one move away, hopefully it's a team looking for a QB so you can get big return on a move down but I could see dolphins trading down early for more draft capital they can start fixing alot in one draft and not over draft a QB

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the Dolphins would make a deal with Cincinnati for #1 and Cincy ends up with Herbert.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
#8 for #18 and #26 straight up I don't think I would take. I just feel like the dropoff in impact talent at the positions I want the most is too big.

At #18, I think we would miss out on Brown and Kinlaw, Simmons, Thomas and Wirfs, both elite WR talents, etc. I'm not saying we couldn't get two solid players, but none that are true difference makers for us next year.

I think the only thing that would change my mind is if I knew we would target a RT and a OC. If you told me we could walk away with Wills and Creed Humphrey...I might take that deal. Those are two positions of need and would realy upgrade our o-line.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don’t see the right fit in a trade down scenario. I can see a team moving up for a Qb but the teams that are behind us I guess the Raiders are possibility.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Could depend what's offered. TB could offer a trade down for DJ. TB could also offer other mid round picks in a DJ deal for us trading down. Don't know how else you can move on from him.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
It seems Miami has already acquired a lot of draft picks for their rebuild. The way they finished the season, they might not pick this high again for awhile. I see them going all in with picks to get Burrow or Tua. Next season probably has Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields. Maybe the Bengals will bide their time and fill some other holes this season. But if Miami thinks Herbert can do it, I can't see them fooling around and they just take him at #4.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No. HELL no. Didn't we freaking learn this lesson the year we traded back with New Orleans? Granted, this offer doesn't have us ADDING a later pick AND trading back in the 2nd round, but still. No freaking way.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No. HELL no. Didn't we freaking learn this lesson the year we traded back with New Orleans? Granted, this offer doesn't have us ADDING a later pick AND trading back in the 2nd round, but still. No freaking way.

That trade wasnt bad at all, it was the player we picked (and the ones we passed on) that made it look bad. When we traded back with New Orleans, we were still staring both Carr and Bridgewater in the face...and we desperatley needed a young QB with talent. Instead we picked Buc, who was pretty good, but certainly not as important as an eventual Palmer replacement.

Going back, if Keim had simply picked Carr and given BA a chance to groom him behind Palmer, a lot of things would have been drastically different. I think BA would still be here, and we would have been in the playoffs pretty much every year.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That trade wasnt bad at all, it was the player we picked (and the ones we passed on) that made it look bad. When we traded back with New Orleans, we were still staring both Carr and Bridgewater in the face...and we desperatley needed a young QB with talent. Instead we picked Buc, who was pretty good, but certainly not as important as an eventual Palmer replacement.

Going back, if Keim had simply picked Carr and given BA a chance to groom him behind Palmer, a lot of things would have been drastically different. I think BA would still be here, and we would have been in the playoffs pretty much every year.

I am thinking Stout is talking about when we traded back with New Orleans and took Pace and Johnson over Suggs, that was a fiasco.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am thinking Stout is talking about when we traded back with New Orleans and took Pace and Johnson over Suggs, that was a fiasco.

oh geez...I forgot that was with NO too. That was a disaster...but again, mostly because of who we picked. In that case Suggs was the prize...but if we had picked Jason Witten and Larry Johnson, that trade might be looked at a little differently. Or Nnamdi Asamwa.

Holy crap what a bad trade though. #6 and our 2nd rounder for #17 and #18 when there was a clear drop off in talent.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bluto is making the picks. More picks equals more potential damage.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
oh geez...I forgot that was with NO too. That was a disaster...but again, mostly because of who we picked. In that case Suggs was the prize...but if we had picked Jason Witten and Larry Johnson, that trade might be looked at a little differently. Or Nnamdi Asamwa.

Holy crap what a bad trade though. #6 and our 2nd rounder for #17 and #18 when there was a clear drop off in talent.

We swapped 2nd rounders....and used that 2nd on Anquan Boldin.

Gerald Hayes round 3 was a good pick too in that draft. Calvin Pace was a good player; he just wasnt a 4-3 defensive end, he was a good 3-4 OLB.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Gerald Hayes round 3 was a good pick too in that draft. Calvin Pace was a good player; he just wasnt a 4-3 defensive end, he was a good 3-4 OLB.

The trade was : we gave up #6, #37 and #102 for #17, #18, and #54. ....which is exactly equal on the point chart...but practically was a pretty bad trade looking at the drop off in talent.

We could have kept #37, and picked Boldin...coming out of that draft with Suggs, Boldin, Hayes, and a 4th rounder like Asante Samuel.

It does a good job in illustrating the dangers in trading down out of a spot to land a blue chip prospect, and ending up with a couple of so-so guys as a result.

This year at #8, I think I would rather take a shot at a star than trade down and end up with rotational players.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The trade was : we gave up #6, #37 and #102 for #17, #18, and #54. ....which is exactly equal on the point chart...but practically was a pretty bad trade looking at the drop off in talent.

We could have kept #37, and picked Boldin...coming out of that draft with Suggs, Boldin, Hayes, and a 4th rounder like Asante Samuel.

It does a good job in illustrating the dangers in trading down out of a spot to land a blue chip prospect, and ending up with a couple of so-so guys as a result.

This year at #8, I think I would rather take a shot at a star than trade down and end up with rotational players.

When you trade down, the one that wants to get in, needs to give you more, because of the drop-off.

So I wouldn't trade 8 for #1 that equal around what we have. If they give us a 3rd rounder as well, then we might be in talk. But else, no.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I remember being stoked at getting Hayes, as I'd followed him at Pitt. He was incredible value for us. I remember screaming "Nooooooo!" when we drafted skillet hands, because I follow Penn State too.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Only scenario I can fancy is if the Jets are desperate enough to move up 3 spots for Juedy/Lamb. We would still be guaranteed one of Brown, Kinlaw, Wirfs or Wills. I would do it for two 3rd rd picks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave