2020 All Star Watch

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd get a thread going since All-Star talk has started already and will pick up in the new year. We're basically a PED suspension from the All-Star break right now, 47 days to be exact. Voting opened for the starters on Christmas day and will continue through January 21st. The game is on February 16th.

We can try to keep all All-Star talk here up until the game, including discussion of who will be invited to take part in the 3pt contest, slam dunk competition, and skills challenge.

There are a few ways to vote, the easiest ways to do so are going to the NBA All-Star website and selecting 5 players from the West and 5 from the East. You can also search NBA All-Star Vote on Google and it pulls up the ballot right there for you as well.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to start this now but I was going to do it a week ago after listening to a podcast that made the case for Booker being an All-Star this year, I can't recall which podcast it was though.

I know the Suns had been in a slump but based on play and numbers Booker should not be snubbed this year. The Suns are better than in the past so record shouldn't be an excuse any longer and if you look around the West, it's hard to find 4 or 5 guards that are playing considerably better than Booker. There will be 2 starters and 3-4 guards as reserves and Booker definitely is a top 6 guard in the West this season. I don't see Booker being voted into the starting lineup but that's all a popularity contest anyways and if you don't play in a major market it's hard to get the nod as a starter.

Last year the guards selected for the team were James Harden and Steph Curry as starters. Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard, and Klay Thompson were the reserves in the West. Take Curry and Klay out this year since neither are healthy, and Klay hasn't played at all. Westbrook's numbers have fallen off since being traded to Houston and he's not a lock by any means. Lillard has been good but the Blazers haven't been. Lillard is likely to get a spot still. Looking at the ballot they have Luka listed as a guard and he's likely to be a starter with Harden so reserves there will be Lillard and who else? Donovan Mitchell is averaging 25.2 ppg with 4.2 apg and 4.6 rpg on a Utah team that is 21-12 right now. Booker is averaging 24.9 ppg with 6.4 apg and 4.0 rpg. There are no other guards putting up numbers like that on a team ahead of the Suns in the standings.

The only other guards on a team that are ahead of the Suns in the standings that might get a look are in OKC. Chris Paul, Shai, and Schroeder are all posting similar stat-lines to each other on a team that was supposed to be awful but they're 17-15 right now. Shai is averaging 19.8 ppg, 5.0 rpg, and 2.8 apg. Schroeder is averaging 18.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, and 3.6 apg. Paul is averaging 16.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, and 6.5 apg. If any of those 3 get in, I think it will be Paul but Shai is probably more deserving. Schroeder is playing as a 6th man, which makes him the least likely to get All-Star recognition. I'd still say Booker is more deserving than those 3 and not just because I'm a Suns fan. Those numbers don't scream All-Star. Since they're all producing similarly it shows how it's more of a team effort than an individual leading them to where they are.

Here's an article from Yahoo that predicts who will be All-Stars and Booker is listed as their first reserve so it seems like Booker is getting recognition for the Suns hot start and also is being excused some for it's poor play in their recent losing streak.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inarguable...0-nba-all-star-game-selections-223716800.html

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ja Morant has been invited to take part in the dunk contest. That should be good, if he goes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-ja-morant-invited-to-compete-in-slam-dunk-contest-161324462.html

Dwight Howard has confirmed he'll take part also, having last participated in 2009. He only has 1 slam dunk championship from his 3 previous appearances but he should have at least 2, probably 3 but definitely 2. He got robbed in 09 against Nate Robinson. He had higher scores but the final was determined by text messaging in votes.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dwight-how...-to-the-nbas-slam-dunk-contest-175854800.html

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
None of our players are getting elected by fan ballot. But I do think that Booker will make the team as a reserve. I'd honestly be rather surprised if he didn't.

Heck, the West is thin up front this year, Ayton's averages would probably land him a spot is not for his self inflicted lack of playing time.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker deserves to be in despite being on a bad team

He brings it nearly every night

See how he does tonight

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
East starters.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
West starters.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Voting results. Devin Booker is 6th among Western Conference guards.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I guess this is good. I do not understand why anyone is voting for Chris Paul though. His performance is not all star level. This bull crap that playoff teams deserve a player needs to end.
Wha? Seriously? The guy is almost single-handedly keeping his team at the top of the Western Conference. In fact, I heard a stat the other day that OKC has the best record in the leagues since Christmas.

Chris Paul 100% deserves to be an all-star.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to comment on that also. I'm no fan of Chris Paul but he's been really good in OKC and if anyone from the Thunder deserves an All-Star nod. He's been a real positive there and has helped Shai and Denis Schroeder take big steps forward in their development. Shai will probably be an All-Star before his rookie deal is up and Schroeder will be a 6th Man of the Year contender this season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP3 is proving that while he's the #1 guy, he can lead the team to wins, love or hate him, he's an all-star.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA