American Perimeter Trail Project

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So this guy from Bend, Oregon, having already completed the PCT, CDT, and AT in his 20's, is in the middle of a crazy yet amazing hike around the perimeter of the US, in many spots, mapping it out as he goes. 12,000ish miles!! Many areas where no actual trail exists...

At times when Rue McKenrick was walking alone along a road through Arizona, motorists would stop to offer him a ride. He would politely decline, and they would ask him his destination.

“You know that’s 30 miles from here, right?” McKenrick recalled them asking, incredulously.

Not everyone understands McKenrick’s motivations to hike 12,000 miles, loosely tracing the perimeter of the United States to establish a route that would allow others to do the same. He calls it the American Perimeter Trail (APT) Project. He started from Bend last July and hopes to finish in Bend in October, and he is currently just east of the Continental Divide somewhere in New Mexico.

A Bend resident since 2012, the 39-year-old McKenrick completed the Triple Crown of hiking in his 20s — thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail (more than 2,100 miles from Georgia to Maine), the Continental Divide Trail (more than 3,000 miles from Mexico to Canada through the Rocky Mountains), and the Pacific Crest Trail (more than 2,600 miles from Mexico to Canada through the Sierra Nevada and Cascade ranges).

McKenrick, who was raised in Pennsylvania, has spent most of his adult life traveling and working for outdoor education nonprofits, including Outward Bound as an AmeriCorps volunteer. Before leaving on his trek around the United States, he worked as an assistant superintendent at River’s Edge Golf Course in Bend.

But he said he felt like he was missing something in his life and he wanted to return to the trail. And more than that, he wanted to create something new.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/outdoo...cle_4fe92626-3347-11ea-aac3-57e9983ad061.html

You must be registered for see images attach

https://backtothepack.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ruegoesbacktothepack/?ref=py_c

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn't say what his time frame was for his hike. I checked out his facebook page and he started in late July. Imagine being free like that. This speaks to my soul.

But at the same time it seems the difference between being a hiker and being homeless is a social media presence.
lol

pretty much

but there is voluntary homelessness which is an "adventurer" and then we have the non voluntary homelessness.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It didn't say what his time frame was for his hike. I checked out his facebook page and he started in late July. Imagine being free like that. This speaks to my soul.

Exactly, I am turning 55 in a couple months, have spent 27 years behind a desk in an office, plus 3 years before that during a very demanding post grad education. Now I am watching all these hiking videos and this guy and thinking, I gotta get out of here! These guys have it figured out.

My "Hiker Trash" thread didn't get much action. But it was not intended as a derogatory thing, the term is complimentary in my book. These folks intentionally lower their standard of living, work seasonal or odd jobs, cut costs on the trail, etc. so they can do something they love. Pretty awesome.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly, I am turning 55 in a couple months, have spent 27 years behind a desk in an office, plus 3 years before that during a very demanding post grad education. Now I am watching all these hiking videos and this guy and thinking, I gotta get out of here! These guys have it figured out.

My "Hiker Trash" thread didn't get much action. But it was not intended as a derogatory thing, the term is complimentary in my book. These folks intentionally lower their standard of living, work seasonal or odd jobs, cut costs on the trail, etc. so they can do something they love. Pretty awesome.
The thread was entertaining, I just didnt have much to add

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

A few years ago I did the same thing, realizing that the great outdoors is an amazing place and I was living in a place where it was readily accessible and flat out missing out on that wonder. I suddenly had, not a desire, but a need to spend time outdoors.

If I was 18 again my life would turn out very different.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few years ago I did the same thing, realizing that the great outdoors is an amazing place and I was living in a place where it was readily accessible and flat out missing out on that wonder. I suddenly had, not a desire, but a need to spend time outdoors.

If I was 18 again my life would turn out very different.

Isn't it crazy how long it takes to gather a lot of the critical knowledge and wisdom needed to navigate through life?

Reminds me of this song...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Isn't it crazy how long it takes to gather a lot of the critical knowledge and wisdom needed to navigate through life?

Reminds me of this song...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yes it is. I often wonder if I have all, or even most of that knowledge at 45. I haven't ever really listened to the words for that song but its spot on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So growing up in Yuma, I did notice, he does not go around the Perimeter of CA or AZ. So it's not a true perimeter hike. I had a friend do the width of AZ on a similar hike he did solo. Just growing up in Yuma, I would have been more interested to see him go through Imperial County, Yuma County, etc! From experience I know it takes a special kind of person to make that trek!

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
He should re-name the project Trail of Selected Perimeter Contiguous American States. According to the janky map on the website, he's avoided whole perimeter states: FL, SC, NC, VA, DE, MD, CT, RI, NJ, NY, MA, NH, ME, and VT.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I DROVE through Texas and wanted to kill myself half way through. No chance in hell id hike it.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I DROVE through Texas and wanted to kill myself half way through. No chance in hell id hike it.

And how do you hike through swampy places like Louisiana? Definitely a tough go. I think the guy had already done the PCT and the CDT and must have been looking to try something new.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose