Interesting Comment

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
EASILY REPLACEABLE.

Absolutely incorrect. You say you consume alot of football media, and then you make an absolutely laughably ridiculous claim.

LT is easily the hardest OL position to fill. While I know you have a low opinion of Humphries, he is easily a top 3 LT in ARIZONA Cardinals history.

LT is not an easy position to fill. As a fan base, we have seen how many clowns the Cardinals have brought in to play LT that have been significantly worse than DJ Humphries.

De'Anthony Batiste. I remember him going against Patriots young defensive end, Chandler Jones, and he nearly got beaten on every single pass rush snap.

Easily replaceable.

All this tells me is that Hump is the best of a bad bunch and we all as fans have become so used to bad O lines it's easy to mistake mediocre for reasonable.

I truly believe a rookie like Thomas can be instantly as good as Hump and be much better down the road.

I appreciate your opinion but I'll never be convinced Hump is even average.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EASILY REPLACEABLE.

Absolutely incorrect. You say you consume alot of football media, and then you make an absolutely laughably ridiculous claim.

LT is easily the hardest OL position to fill. While I know you have a low opinion of Humphries, he is easily a top 3 LT in ARIZONA Cardinals history.

LT is not an easy position to fill. As a fan base, we have seen how many clowns the Cardinals have brought in to play LT that have been significantly worse than DJ Humphries.

De'Anthony Batiste. I remember him going against Patriots young defensive end, Chandler Jones, and he nearly got beaten on every single pass rush snap.

Easily replaceable.

Yeah the difference between Hump and some guy off the street can be huge. We all remember Batiste, as they say in baseball it was married men off the infield with him in there he simply could not block anybody. Didn't he give up like 5 sacks in a game to someone on the Rams or was that another lousy OT we had?

That's my thing, we have a QB, we may not know yet how good Kyler is going to be but we have a QB, we need to make sure we don't do something that increases the odds of him getting hurt, or getting beat down to the point he doesn't progress as much as he should. If that means overpaying Hump, I'm ok with it.

It also again points out what a lousy cap job Keim did in recent years so that we have so much dead cap space to worry about. I hope we keep the OL intact, I hope we draft an OL, I hope we keep Drake etc. But if we're going to gamble on saving some money I think you do that at other positions like RB or TE where it can be much easier to find a pretty good player cheap. Not at OL and for me not at WR either. I want to give Kyler the tools to excel

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All this tells me is that Hump is the best of a bad bunch and we all as fans have become so used to bad O lines it's easy to mistake mediocre for reasonable.

I truly believe a rookie like Thomas can be instantly as good as Hump and be much better down the road.

I appreciate your opinion but I'll never be convinced Hump is even average.
No you don't get the point, probably nobody is telling you that hump is great and is a top 10 LT, but everyone with a sane mind should shout "Stop!" before you let your LT walk without anyone that can replace him in the wings.

We don't have Thomas right now and probably even don't get Thomas, and since he is the only real LT this year in the top 15, what is your argument to kick your LT out of the team without any real plan?

That is how you build a losing team, that is how you get Levi 'turnstile - I got Warner and Kolb killed' Brown instead of Adrian 'all day - would have won you a SB' Peterson.

That is how you destroy a young QB and so on.

The right thing to do would be franchise Hump, and see if you get Thomas drafted. Than start Thomas @RT for a year and than let Hump walk and swith Thomas to LT while you draft an LT/RT in the 2nd or 3rd round and hope he develops behind Thomas.

But since Thomas in 99% of the outcomes is already done, you have to think otherwise, so you probably have to make a multi year contract with Hump that is structured like you have a high amount on guarantee in the first two years and you can easily cut/trade him in year 3, or something like that. Than you have 2 seasons or 3 to find his replacement or if he develops you have a cheap top 15 LT.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we will always differ on Hump being better than Williams or Beechum. For me he's the same type of guy.

I agree he had a better year in pass pro but 1 year from 4 doesn't do it for me. I feel a scheme with a lot of quick short passes is skewing his stats and his 3 previous years are a more accurate representation.

Your attempt to further discredit Hump in your last paragraph simply makes a case for him fitting in to the KK offence.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The only reason I say franchise Humphries opposed to a new contract is simply to prove his health and if he did I would pay him. I could care less about all these assorted stats now, because all I know is that every big run we had seemed to always be to Humphries' side of the ball. I will venture to say Humphries had a better year than Peters on the DL... ding, ding, ding, that is what we need to be concerned about

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I keep saying this but why not transition tag Humphries instead of franchising him? Let the league set his value. You keep him on back burner until draft and if Thomas is there you let him walk if my some miracle someone offers him $14M+ a year. Use that money on a worthy FA like Amari Cooper, Bud Dupree, Robert Quinn or Cory Littleton.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Despite me not being high on him at #8, not gonna lie, he looks good in this Uni
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep saying this but why not transition tag Humphries instead of franchising him? Let the league set his value. You keep him on back burner until draft and if Thomas is there you let him walk if my some miracle someone offers him $14M+ a year. Use that money on a worthy FA like Amari Cooper, Bud Dupree, Robert Quinn or Cory Littleton.
Be honest with me, by some miracle that Thomas is still on the board, do you honestly believe the FO still wouldn’t go Wirfs/Willis?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your attempt to further discredit Hump in your last paragraph simply makes a case for him fitting in to the KK offence.

We've covered this. They had to change the scheme to accommodate a crappy O line. It's not the scheme Kliff wanted to use. Yes there was some adjustment via NFL experience but largely he had to do some things he didn't want to do because he couldn't trust the O line to consistently protect Kyler for the time required to throw anything further than 5 yards.

There's a reason the QB with the 4th best deep ball accuracy last year threw so few deep balls and averaged 5.1 air yards per pass.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No you don't get the point, probably nobody is telling you that hump is great and is a top 10 LT, but everyone with a sane mind should shout "Stop!" before you let your LT walk without anyone that can replace him in the wings.

We don't have Thomas right now and probably even don't get Thomas, and since he is the only real LT this year in the top 15, what is your argument to kick your LT out of the team without any real plan?

That is how you build a losing team, that is how you get Levi 'turnstile - I got Warner and Kolb killed' Brown instead of Adrian 'all day - would have won you a SB' Peterson.

That is how you destroy a young QB and so on.

The right thing to do would be franchise Hump, and see if you get Thomas drafted. Than start Thomas @RT for a year and than let Hump walk and swith Thomas to LT while you draft an LT/RT in the 2nd or 3rd round and hope he develops behind Thomas.

But since Thomas in 99% of the outcomes is already done, you have to think otherwise, so you probably have to make a multi year contract with Hump that is structured like you have a high amount on guarantee in the first two years and you can easily cut/trade him in year 3, or something like that. Than you have 2 seasons or 3 to find his replacement or if he develops you have a cheap top 15 LT.

I've put numerous options out there. Draft a rookie and start him right away. I guarantee one of Thomas, Wills or Wirfs is there at 8. I don't think a rookie could be much worse than Hump.

But if not send a 7th for Glenn and $9.5m for a years rental and play the rookie at RT for a year. Or a 6th for Reiff and $10.9m this year and and out of his last year in 2021 if needs be. Or you can role the dice on them getting cut and getting them cheaper in FA.

There are options other than give a $50m+ contract to the bottom 10 injury prone guy. Is all I'm saying.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've covered this. They had to change the scheme to accommodate a crappy O line. It's not the scheme Kliff wanted to use. Yes there was some adjustment via NFL experience but largely he had to do some things he didn't want to do because he couldn't trust the O line to consistently protect Kyler for the time required to throw anything further than 5 yards.

There's a reason the QB with the 4th best deep ball accuracy last year threw so few deep balls and averaged 5.1 air yards per pass.

Reasons?

Yes and they include 4 w/o sets without TE help and guys who couldn't get open.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Maybe you're confusing causes and effects. Perhaps the reason he had such great deep ball accuracy was because he threw so few deep balls, and the ones he made were only in perfect situations.

It's very strange to say the OL sucked and point the finger at the person who allowed the fewest sacks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe you're confusing causes and effects. Perhaps the reason he had such great deep ball accuracy was because he threw so few deep balls, and the ones he made were only in perfect situations.

It's very strange to say the OL sucked and point the finger at the person who allowed the fewest sacks.

Only if you consider sacks as an accurate measure of O line performance. The same way completion percentage doesn't tell you how accurate a QB is. Like most stats, they very rarely tell the whole story.

David Bakhtiari allowed 2 sacks this year too but it doesn't mean Hump is in the same league.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Only if you consider sacks as an accurate measure of O line performance. The same way completion percentage doesn't tell you how accurate a QB is. Like most stats, they very rarely tell the whole story.

David Bakhtiari allowed 2 sacks this year too but it doesn't mean Hump is in the same league.
True, but it might also indicate that there isn't a vast difference between the two either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, but it might also indicate that there isn't a vast difference between the two either.

There is a vast difference between the two. Like the difference between Donald Trump and Greta Thunberg. Barely the same species :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Not altogether, but it's a leading indicator.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sacks allowed is certainly a personal performance data point of relevance.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Wirfs has been playing RT for Iowa, right? So if we keep DJ Humphries and insert Wirfs at his natural RT position, we might have a decent OL. DJ will never be elite, but I'll give you that he can do a job at the toughest position in the NFL. Wirfs is potentially a game changing RT. Left or right doesn't even matter these days as it used to. Many elite edge rushers, among the best athletes in the NFL, line up over RT these days. As for pure pocket passers protecting the blind side is still way more important. But with a mobile QB like KM, left or right doesn't matter quite as much imo.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sacks allowed is certainly a personal performance data point of relevance.

Its a part of the equation. Less so when you have a QB that's good at evading pressure.

In this article where Kyler comes #1 in pressure evaded it shows 2 example. Both are Humps guy. Including the well known one vs the Falcons.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2156492/kyler-murray-is-the-toughest-quarterback-to-sack-in-the-nfl/

If that's Carson Palmer they are both easy sacks. That's why his sacks are lower this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Its a part of the equation. Less so when you have a QB that's good at evading pressure.

In this article where Kyler comes #1 in pressure evaded it shows 2 example. Both are Humps guy. Including the well known one vs the Falcons.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2156492/kyler-murray-is-the-toughest-quarterback-to-sack-in-the-nfl/

If that's Carson Palmer they are both easy sacks. That's why his sacks are lower this year.

Carson Palmer probably doesn't hold the ball as long as Murray does in the first sack, and probably doesn't take as deep a drop as Murray did in clip #2.

Murray ran himself into pressure many, many times this season. It's one of the habits he hopefully will be working on breaking this year. Both of those plays had fine pockets that Murray ran out the back of and created his own pressure.

Of course, that article was only through Week 10.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

That's largely the K-raid offense. Quick hot passes. D's started to overplay that, with pressure and jumping routes on the rookie. Implementing extra TE sets and such was also to make up for the no show that was DJ. Yes the OL still needs to be upgraded. Jettisoning Hump outright doesn't get the improvement done. I'm as concerned as the FO likely is about his one year of duability. So there's a way forward for that, if they so desire.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carson Palmer probably doesn't hold the ball as long as Murray does in the first sack, and probably doesn't take as deep a drop as Murray did in clip #2.

Murray ran himself into pressure many, many times this season. It's one of the habits he hopefully will be working on breaking this year. Both of those plays had fine pockets that Murray ran out the back of and created his own pressure.

Of course, that article was only through Week 10.

Hump got whooped twice in two random clips. I'm sure we could find more.

Palmer doesn't hold the ball as long? Did you watch BAs offense? In both cases Hump was beat instantly and Kyler is pressured in under 2.5 seconds.