RUMOR - Cardinals one of several teams interested in Austin Hooper

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I knew that the Cardinals were not taking offense round 1 I would be fine with this.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is per playerprofiler.com.

Hooper is #7 in target separation. Which measures distance between him and closest defender when the ball arrives.

13th in QB rating when targeted. 112.3 QB rating when targeting Hooper.

#2 among TEs in contested catch rate.

#6 in yards after catch.

#3 in red zone receptions.

#9 in target share.

Some of these may be of help to Kyler Murray and our ability to outscore the opposing team.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think Hooper is quality. I don't think Drake is quality. Both of those guys stand out to me as guys who will be overpaid to underperform.

Hardly surprising that you don't like Hooper if you can't even see the value in Drake.

Hooper is a stud who won't break the bank - go get him. Yet another in a long line of quality Stanford TE products over the last decade or so.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
bbbooooo!!!! hard pass on Hooper.

FA is not drafting where BPA is a good option. Apples to oranges.

Drafting can get you a stud on the cheap for 5 years. FA is inherently the opposite - **** with that BPA in FA nonsense

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, Hooper over the past two seasons would have been 1st or 2nd on our team in catches, yards, and TDs. He is 25. And even if we made him the highest paid TE in the NFL, he would cost us less than Larry Fitz.

We talk about needing weapons to get open for Murray. We talk about needing to run the ball to help Murray. We talk about needing to be better in the red zone. And yet we balk at paying a player who does all of those things 9 mil per season and describe it as not a need.

I'd be all for it. If we didn't have the worst D in the league and enough resources to fix all our problems.

Got to prioritize what Bills to pay. You can't go out for a 3 course meal and drinks when you can't afford shoes for the kids.

I'd love to have Hooper, but Keim has put us in a position where it would be frivolous and leave us weak elsewhere.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd be all for it. If we didn't have the worst D in the league and enough resources to fix all our problems.

Got to prioritize what Bills to pay. You can't go out for a 3 course meal and drinks when you can't afford shoes for the kids.

I'd love to have Hooper, but Keim has put us in a position where it would be frivolous and leave us weak elsewhere.
Our sensible mate across the pond

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I get it, but do we want the only "elite" group on our team to be the TE group? To me its way below having elite lines, LB's, secondary, WR's, Rb's, etc.

Williams is a good all around TE. Good blocker, adequate in the pass game. Seems like he could become more featured, and Arnold might be a hidden gem as a reciever if the end of the season was any sign of things to come.

I just look at the holes on this team and the amount of money available and Hooper clearly falls into luxory category. If Keim had nailed his 1st round picks over the last 5 years, we could afford a luxury player, but we can't right now.
We as the fans? Who cares.

We as in the Cardinals front office? I do not know, if the rumor is true, then yes, we, as in the Cardinals, are interested

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Prioritizing resources for your 2nd year QB is shoes for the kids. Adding a defense is the three course meal.

If Kyler Murray fails to produce, everyone gets fired.

If the defense fails to produce, the defensive coordinator gets fired.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
bbbooooo!!!! hard pass on Hooper.

FA is not drafting where BPA is a good option. Apples to oranges.

Drafting can get you a stud on the cheap for 5 years. FA is inherently the opposite - **** with that BPA in FA nonsense
When is the last time we drafted a stud TE?

And how is BPA at a position of need not a good idea?

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
This is per playerprofiler.com.

Hooper is #7 in target separation. Which measures distance between him and closest defender when the ball arrives.

13th in QB rating when targeted. 112.3 QB rating when targeting Hooper.

#2 among TEs in contested catch rate.

#6 in yards after catch.

#3 in red zone receptions.

#9 in target share.

Some of these may be of help to Kyler Murray and our ability to outscore the opposing team.
All fine. Hooper is a really good receiving TE. Smooth glider with solid hands. But too often you see him running wide open for huge chunks in terms of TE yardage. Guess that's a nice side effect when you have arguably the most dangerous WR in the NFL and one of the better WR2, lead by one of the better pure passers in the NFL.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Prioritizing resources for your 2nd year QB is shoes for the kids. Adding a defense is the three course meal.

Kyler produced to an adequate level to win games if his defense wasn't pure crap. Could he use more weapons? Sure. I'd get him some better blocking first. Hooper is going to be useless on Kyler's 40th broken snap of the play because we trotted Justin Murray out there.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Kyler was 15th in passing yards on the 13th ranked offense by DVOA. As a rookie with a rookie HC.

You could not touch the offense and it should be above average.

In the mean time our D cost us at least 5 games. I'm pretty sure Kyler would be begging for a better D over a TE.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler produced to an adequate level to win games if his defense wasn't pure crap. Could he use more weapons? Sure. I'd get him some better blocking first. Hooper is going to be useless on Kyler's 40th broken snap of the play because we trotted Justin Murray out there.
I would argue that a TE who lines up outside of the RT and can require the DE to chip him to slow down his release actually helps Kyler's time to throw. Also the impact that TE's have on the play action passing game also creates space to throw for QBs...thus helping Kyler.

Is Matthew Judon going to matter a lick if Kyler Murray gets knocked out of a game? Is Chris Jones going to matter if we can't move the ball on offense?

Procedure for helping a young QB survive

Step 1 - Protect Him

Step 2 - Give him some weapons

Step 3 - Build a defense to keep games close

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler was 15th in passing yards on the 13th ranked offense by DVOA. As a rookie with a rookie HC.

You could not touch the offense and it should be above average.

In the mean time our D cost us at least 5 games. I'm pretty sure Kyler would be begging for a better D over a TE.
21st in passing DVOA...

and I am pretty sure Kyler wants players who can get open, catch the ball, and make plays. You don't have to spend 13 mil on Matthew Judon to improve on defense. We were ranked 27th in DVOA vs the pass and 12th in DVOA vs the run. Improve at S, CB, defense vs TE, and put a better edge rush group opposite of Chandler Jones and you should be more competitive.

You don't need to spend 40mil to improve on Jalen Thompson, Robert Alford, Joe Walker, and the combination of Suggs/Brooks Reed/Cassius Marsh.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would argue that a TE who lines up outside of the RT and can require the DE to chip him to slow down his release actually helps Kyler's time to throw. Also the impact that TE's have on the play action passing game also creates space to throw for QBs...thus helping Kyler.

Is Matthew Judon going to matter a lick if Kyler Murray gets knocked out of a game? Is Chris Jones going to matter if we can't move the ball on offense?

Procedure for helping a young QB survive

Step 1 - Protect Him

Step 2 - Give him some weapons

Step 3 - Build a defense to keep games close

We have no problem moving the ball. Our scoring drive rate was high, our issue was RZ conversions. Especially early on. Arnold and Butler will help with that.

We will have even less problem if we didn't have to play from behind and change the game plan all the time.

If this team spends all its capital on offense it deserves to lose. I did the maths last week. We have about 25m to spend, even with back loading.

Spending 9m of that on a TE seems silly to me but each to there own.

This report could be total BS anyway.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have no problem moving the ball. Our scoring drive rate was high, our issue was RZ conversions. Especially early on. Arnold and Butler will help with that.

We will have even less problem if we didn't have to play from behind and change the game plan all the time.

If this team spends all its capital on offense it deserves to lose. I did the maths last week. We have about 25m to spend, even with back loading.

Spending 9m of that on a TE seems silly to me but each to there own.

This report could be total BS anyway.
How do we know Butler might actually not suck?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’d like him better if he ranked higher than 39th in YAC, which I see as critical in a short pass offense. I have him as a good but not a premier TE. With the Cards having so many spots to fill I’m okay with the Cards hoping Daniels is the real deal. This offense is such that guys like Drake and Daniels seem to look far more effective in it. I’m sure Hooper would be productive but you have to spend limited money very carefully.