Pacers @ Suns Wednesday game thread 1-22-20

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Worse yet, the gave up the 32nd pick to trade him.

I understood the reasoning for getting rid of him, but we didn’t need to dump him somewhere Like Josh Jackson. Simply as a scorer, he could’ve at least netted us some picks, or even just more depth on this team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understood the reasoning for getting rid of him, but we didn’t need to dump him somewhere Like Josh Jackson. Simply as a scorer, he could’ve at least netted us some picks, or even just more depth on this team.

I think this is where Jones showed his inexperience as a GM.

Trying to pieces things together, I don't think Warren wanted to play for the Suns as he never came back from injury. The Suns held out hope he might return to play until season's end.

Instead of waiting to get fair value for Warren, Jones moved him in haste to clear money to make other moves.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Simply as a scorer, he could’ve at least netted us some picks, or even just more depth on this team.

I'm not sure. I've always been a Warren apologist, but the fact that he found it so difficult to suit up for the Suns really put them over a barrel. Any team acquiring him had to guess whether his inability to play most of a season was a question of health or of will. In five seasons with the Suns, he managed 50 games only twice; he'll pass that total with the Pacers later this month. Warren has been revealed as someone who can be a potent scorer when he feels like taking the floor -- half of a player, half the time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this is where Jones showed his inexperience as a GM.

Trying to pieces things together, I don't think Warren wanted to play for the Suns as he never came back from injury. The Suns held out hope he might return to play until season's end.

Instead of waiting to get fair value for Warren, Jones moved him in haste to clear money to make other moves.

The problem is that he clearly is not learning from his mistakes. I doubt he is capable of doing so.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I've always been a Warren apologist, but the fact that he found it so difficult to suit up for the Suns really put them over a barrel. Any team acquiring him had to guess whether his inability to play most of a season was a question of health or of will. In five seasons with the Suns, he managed 50 games only twice; he'll pass that total with the Pacers later this month. Warren has been revealed as someone who can be a potent scorer when he feels like taking the floor -- half of a player, half the time.

Not a fair asessment. Suns were tanking 2-3 of those years. Theres nothing to indicate warren didnt want to play. Suns shut down basically everybody at times those years.

that trade was an absolute joke, it truly blew my mind. There was a story out there somewhere where the Pacers fromt office was laughing in the background and wanted to get the deal done ASAP without letting the suns iff the phone to think about it

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Not a fair asessment. Suns were tanking 2-3 of those years. Theres nothing to indicate warren didnt want to play. Suns shut down basically everybody at times those years.

Was there any other player who missed about half of each season's games over several years?

There was a story out there somewhere

That sounds credible.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that trade was an absolute joke, it truly blew my mind. There was a story out there somewhere where the Pacers fromt office was laughing in the background and wanted to get the deal done ASAP without letting the suns iff the phone to think about it

Warren sat last season before the All-Star break. He sat before the Suns traded for Tyler Johnson as well. There were reports he was capable of playing but wasn't happy here so he didn't rush himself back. If that came out though it would have killed any trade value he may have had. The Suns were said to be shopping him in late January also, when he did sit, because his last Suns game was January 22. That could have played a role in the trade sending him out also.

His games missed happened for more reasons than the team tanking. Just 2 years prior he missed a month in November to mid December for a mysterious head injury. No one is tanking in November either so that month wasn't because the team held him out.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not sad Warren is gone. The dude has issues, he doesn't seem to know passing is legal and he is hardly interested in anything besides his own isolation scoring game. If he gets mildly upset in Indy, no doubt he will miss 60 games with a hangnail

But, and I said it along with a multitude of others, the trade Jones made to move on from Warren was awful. It was a flash back to the Kurt Thomas trade, something entirely about salary and nothing about value.

It also makes me think that it was a Sarver inspired move.

Any move that seems wildly off balance from a finance verses value perspective... there is a great chance our meddling owner had his giant foam fingers in it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You dont know what was going on behind the scenes. We all read grumblings and suppositions. Otherwise, it does look like we were on the wrong side of the equation in the trade. Also, we could never depend on him suiting up each night with his injury history. I titally agree elindholm.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sad Warren is gone. The dude has issues, he doesn't seem to know passing is legal and he is hardly interested in anything besides his own isolation scoring game. If he gets mildly upset in Indy, no doubt he will miss 60 games with a hangnail

But, and I said it along with a multitude of others, the trade Jones made to move on from Warren was awful. It was a flash back to the Kurt Thomas trade, something entirely about salary and nothing about value.

It also makes me think that it was a Sarver inspired move.

Any move that seems wildly off balance from a finance verses value perspective... there is a great chance our meddling owner had his giant foam fingers in it.

Perhaps a flashback to the handling of the Morris twins as well.

Also it appears the Pacers were the only team who showed much interest in Warren and then the Suns had to attach the 32nd pick to get it done. So it's not like there was a market for him. Other teams must have had similar concerns as the Suns.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He doesn't have the intelligence to bluff, nor does have any incentive to do so. He really is this clueless.

I hate to agree with you, but I do.

Everything he has said publicly in the last 2 years is exactly what he has done.

He does not like rookies, and he does not like to make trades.

The free agents available in this years offseason are terrible - yet I have a feeling we are going to use Tyler Johnson's money to overspend for one or two of them.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still agree with the decision to get rid of Warren - however there is no way we should of had to use a 2nd round pick to get rid of him. His salary for performance level is a positive - not something you should have to pay to dump.

But the much worse deal was the Josh Jackson deal. Giving up two 2nd rounders and Melton is a ridiculous amount to dump his contract.

Draft night was not really that hard - but Jones screwed it up. To be honest I might have grabbed Culver at 6 which may not have turned out great - but he is at least enough of an athlete he could still turn out good. Trading down to 11 was fine, it was just the selection there that was not good. I was on draft night sure Herro would be a good pick - but was unsure about fit with us already having Booker - now it is clear he would have been a godsend to this team with our total lack of bench scoring.

We should not have made the trade for Baynes - that is what made it necessary to dump Jackson quickly. Keeping Holmes would have been the far better move - and Jerome was a total waste of a pick.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hate to agree with you, but I do.

Everything he has said publicly in the last 2 years is exactly what he has done.

He does not like rookies, and he does not like to make trades.

The free agents available in this years offseason are terrible - yet I have a feeling we are going to use Tyler Johnson's money to overspend for one or two of them.

2020 free agents that fit the James Jones profile (soft, relatively unathletic scorers in the image of James Jones who can't do much of anything else):

Gordon Hayward
Enes Kanter
Joe Harris
Wilson Chandler
Timothe Luwalu-Cabarrot
Marvin Williams
Willy Hernangomez
Nicolas Batum
Ante Zizic
Mason Plumlee
Solomon Hill
Bruno Caboclo
Kelly Olynyk
Danilo Gallinari
Davis Bertans

Expect at least 2 or 3 of these players to be on the Suns roster next season, and don't be surprised if Jones throws more than $20 million a season at Gallinari, Kanter or Bertans.

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh feel asleep before gm busy work day

Very disappointing outcome look like ayton had a bad gm

Is it me or do the suns play worse at home like wtf.....

Was ayton poor on fg percentage last night

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ugh feel asleep before gm busy work day

Very disappointing outcome look like ayton had a bad gm

Is it me or do the suns play worse at home like wtf.....

Was ayton poor on fg percentage last night

Relatively speaking (5-12, same as Booker).

The real disasters were Okobo (2-9), Saric (2-7) and Oubre (5-16).

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Relatively speaking (5-12, same as Booker).

The real disasters were Okobo (2-9), Saric (2-7) and Oubre (5-16).
Esssh wow that is ugly oubre hasn't been himself since concussion and saric is well meh

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I know we clear a ton of cap space if we stay the course with the team as it is comprised now. I am wondering if that is the goal. If so, I doubt we make the playoffs this year.
Or for still another decade. As long as the MO is the same, we can expect the results to be the same.

As the saying goes, results talk.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should not have made the trade for Baynes - that is what made it necessary to dump Jackson quickly. Keeping Holmes would have been the far better move - and Jerome was a total waste of a pick.

Did everyone forget Holmes offseason arrest right after Jacksons? I know getting popped for possession isn't as bad as escaping in handcuffs but with all of the talk of bringing Monty in and changing the culture, Holmes cost himself a job on the Suns. Driving around with pot is dumb anyways but doing so while being a free agent on a team looking to clean up it's image made Holmes' expendable.

Holmes is also young and might not have been excited about being Ayton's backup for the next 3-4 years. He became a starter in Sacramento and that wasn't going to happen here. We don't know how much that played a role in his decision on what to do in free agency.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Did everyone forget Holmes offseason arrest right after Jacksons? I know getting popped for possession isn't as bad as escaping in handcuffs but with all of the talk of bringing Monty in and changing the culture, Holmes cost himself a job on the Suns. Driving around with pot is dumb anyways but doing so while being a free agent on a team looking to clean up it's image made Holmes' expendable.

Holmes is also young and might not have been excited about being Ayton's backup for the next 3-4 years. He became a starter in Sacramento and that wasn't going to happen here. We don't know how much that played a role in his decision on what to do in free agency.

Considering the Kings signed Holmes to be Dwayne Dedmon's back up...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hoop Head

Does twitter periodically go through a mode where it is inactive? The sites I usually follow seem to be in it at the moment.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hoop Head

Does twitter periodically go through a mode where it is inactive? The sites I usually follow seem to be in it at the moment.

Not that I'm aware of. I'd try clearing your cache and checking it again.

Twitter has been really busy all week because of the political stuff going on and it seems like everyone is tweeting about it. I could see their servers being bogged down by all of the extra traffic but that shouldn't be an issue later in the day.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. I'd try clearing your cache and checking it again.

Twitter has been really busy all week because of the political stuff going on and it seems like everyone is tweeting about it. I could see their servers being bogged down by all of the extra traffic but that shouldn't be an issue later in the day.

I dump cookies with regularity but I may have to do it more often. Thanks for the tip.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose