RUMOR - Cardinals one of several teams interested in Austin Hooper

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The stats show me he's started 3, 8, 7, and 10 games by season in his career.

He has played alongside a probable HOF player in Julio Jones his entire career, Pro Bowl RB in Freeman (yes, overlapping seasons), and a former MVP QB. That's not to mention that Sanu and Ridley aren't schlubs by any means.

In what world is that not insane talent around him?
Who cares? He played in those games. He could not play in the first snap of the game & it would be marked down as not a start even if he played the rest of the game.

Freeman hasn’t been good in about 3 years. Xavier Rhodes got named to the Pro Bowl despite being a liability at CB the past 2 seasons. Less about Pro-Bowls & more about All-Pros.

Sanu has been an alright WR3 at best his career & legit atrocious this season. Nothing to speak highly of.

I really don’t know what’s with you & overrating the hell out of Atlanta’s talent.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who cares? He played in those games. He could not play in the first snap of the game & it would be marked down as not a start even if he played the rest of the game.

Freeman hasn’t been good in about 3 years. Xavier Rhodes got named to the Pro Bowl despite being a liability at CB the past 2 seasons. Less about Pro-Bowls & more about All-Pros.

Sanu has been an alright WR3 at best his career & legit atrocious this season. Nothing to speak highly of.

I really don’t know what’s with you & overrating the hell out of Atlanta’s talent.

The Falcons rank in passing yards per game by year

2019 - 3rd
2018 - 4th
2017 - 10th
2016 - 2nd

They are a heavy passing team so Hoopers stats aren't ground breaking. He's not a lock to be great on another team with a different scheme.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I would be happy is we sign 0 offensive FA. This defense needs a ton of help and I don’t trust this teams draft process. If we overpay for anyone it’s should be a pass rusher or ILB. Is hooper really gonna get more than 5 targets a game? I doubt it so no almost $10m for a guy who will be a 4th option is not ideal roster building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Falcons rank in passing yards per game by year

2019 - 3rd
2018 - 4th
2017 - 10th
2016 - 2nd

They are a heavy passing team so Hoopers stats aren't ground breaking. He's not a lock to be great on another team with a different scheme.
He’s also not a lock to be a bum on another team beginning to enter his prime just like Lamb isn’t a lock to be a bust either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s also not a lock to be a bum on another team beginning to enter his prime just like Lamb isn’t a lock to be a bust either.

Nobody said he's a bum.

But it's not smart to spend $8-$9m of limited resources on a position that literally nobody has mentioned as a need. Certainly not over all our long list of other needs.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TE Max Willams was extended and be back so will Dan Arnold who did well as a late season addition. Williams is an excellent blocker. I think Cards should pick up another low salary TE vet and maybe draft a TE on Day 3. IMO don't feel Cards should spend lot of money on a free agent TE as we have so many other needs.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Would rather draft another TE (SF got Kittle in the 5th round) to be paired with Maxx and Arnold.

I want to spend that 10m/year on an impact defensive player.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Would rather draft another TE (SF got Kittle in the 5th round) to be paired with Maxx and Arnold.

I want to spend that 10m/year on an impact defensive player.

If only we had an awesome GM that could find a TE in the 5th round.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I do think Hooper would be an upgrade, but I think Max Williams and Dan Arnold could make for an ok TE group next year, assuming we continue to run the ball well and keep the offense 3D.

To me, the big money this year needs to go to D-Lineman...that area of our team is completely bare of young, proven talent, and would make a big difference in the overall performance of the Defense.

Wait and see who is available. If Chris Jones hits the market, throw every dime at him. If Calais gets cut, or another proven vet with some gas left in the tank, bring them in.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Took him a year?

He was incorporating TEs in his offense since the Cincinnati game.
Yes, it took him a year.

Unless I missed all the draft capital and money we put towards tight ends before the season.

Did the Cardinals go into last season with the plan of using tight ends a lot? Nope.

The wanted to play 4 and 5 wide recievers.

Midseason Kingsbury figured out that he is going to need to use tight ends in his offense.

If the rumor is true that the Cardinals are looking at Hooper then they are going to invest in the position this offseason.

That would be different then a year ago.

Savvy?

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I do think Hooper would be an upgrade, but I think Max Williams and Dan Arnold could make for an ok TE group next year, assuming we continue to run the ball well and keep the offense 3D.

To me, the big money this year needs to go to D-Lineman...that area of our team is completely bare of young, proven talent, and would make a big difference in the overall performance of the Defense.

Wait and see who is available. If Chris Jones hits the market, throw every dime at him. If Calais gets cut, or another proven vet with some gas left in the tank, bring them in.
I do not think Kingsbury wants an "OK" group anymore

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If only we had an awesome GM that could find a TE in the 5th round.

If only we had a GM that didn't say "I know how to fix this team. Spending $9m on a TE will do it".

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score

What’s more... The two SB reps this year have prolific TEs that help open up the outside and create mismatches in the run game. Previous SB champs had Gronk and before that Ertz with the Eagles.

A stud TE would actually do wonders for this offense.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I get it, but do we want the only "elite" group on our team to be the TE group? To me its way below having elite lines, LB's, secondary, WR's, Rb's, etc.

Williams is a good all around TE. Good blocker, adequate in the pass game. Seems like he could become more featured, and Arnold might be a hidden gem as a reciever if the end of the season was any sign of things to come.

I just look at the holes on this team and the amount of money available and Hooper clearly falls into luxory category. If Keim had nailed his 1st round picks over the last 5 years, we could afford a luxury player, but we can't right now.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jace Amaro TE was a huge component in Kliff's offense at Texas Tech.

" in 2013, his first year as head coach at Texas Tech, his tight end, Jace Amaro, was tied for seventh in the nation with 106 receptions and 11th in receiving yards with 1,352."

Hooper would be a great fit in Green Bay. I suspect he would opt for them if the feeling was mutual. Graham is toast and Lewis is cheap and basically a blocker. They have Rookie Jace Sternberger and 2nd year TE Robert Tonyan, both cheap.

"Marcedes Lewis signed a $2.1 million contract with the Packers on March 14, 2019. Lewis received a $500,000 signing bonus. $500,000 is tied to games active."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So, Hooper over the past two seasons would have been 1st or 2nd on our team in catches, yards, and TDs. He is 25. And even if we made him the highest paid TE in the NFL, he would cost us less than Larry Fitz.

We talk about needing weapons to get open for Murray. We talk about needing to run the ball to help Murray. We talk about needing to be better in the red zone. And yet we balk at paying a player who does all of those things 9 mil per season and describe it as not a need.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jace Amaro TE was a huge component in Kliff's offense at Texas Tech.

" in 2013, his first year as head coach at Texas Tech, his tight end, Jace Amaro, was tied for seventh in the nation with 106 receptions and 11th in receiving yards with 1,352."

Jace Amaro is probably available!

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
So, Hooper over the past two seasons would have been 1st or 2nd on our team in catches, yards, and TDs. He is 25. And even if we made him the highest paid TE in the NFL, he would cost us less than Larry Fitz.

We talk about needing weapons to get open for Murray. We talk about needing to run the ball to help Murray. We talk about needing to be better in the red zone. And yet we balk at paying a player who does all of those things 9 mil per season and describe it as not a need.

You have to prep the lube first before you go in on them Chopper, Jesus H..