Mahomes played Baseball too

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I played with and against Troy Polamalu growing up and he played multiple sports as well. Every top athlete I played with or coached has played multiple sports. This is not new, and people who demand specialization should be avoided if possible.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
people who demand specialization

in most cases, "people" = parent

having been through the youth sports cycle now and looking back -- the returns on specializing in a single sport are vanishingly small

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Multisport athletes are all well and good if you're the most talented guy athletically. I think for most student athletes, it's sometimes too much to handle. Hell, one sport is too much to handle for most kids. Lots of my buddies and I didn't even end up playing varsity because it was just impossible to get your ass handed to you in 110 degree weather after school and come back to focus on homework for AP classes and such to get into better colleges.

But if you're a kid with genes for pro sports, that's a different thing.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The article really talks about Mahomes ability to throw from multiple angles, on the move, ect and how it relates to baseball.

Wilson was really the first person to demonstrate this talent. Mahomes is taking it to a new level but I believe that was because he was a pitcher.

It seemed to translate well with Kyler (not at their level but similar skill). You have to wonder if GMs will start seeing a baseball background as a huge plus for the modern day QB.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mahomes dad was a serious MLB pitcher throughout the 90's. Genetics + training = freak.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Brady was drafted by the Expos straight out of high school. Other notable QB's that were also baseball/football stars and were drafted by (sometimes multiple) MLB teams, but chose football: Rodney Peete, Rob Johnson, Steve McNair, Mark Brunell, Jay Schroeder, Kerry Collins, Ken Stabler, John Elway, and Dan Marino.

I'm sure there were also some college star QB's that chose MLB over the NFL (only two that come to mind are Todd Helton and Joe Mauer). Then there are others like Charlie Ward who starred in football/basketball and chose the NBA over the NFL.

Plenty of multi-sport athletes at other positions, but this thread is focused on QB's...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Every kid should play multiple sports, through high school. The Club Industrial Complex that asks parents to invest thousands of dollars into full-time training adds little value — and arugably hurts the truly 0.5% who are likely to earn a scholarship in any sport.

The research on this is extremely clear. I'm a father of three kids under 10 now; I grew up playing rec league baseball, flag football, soccer, and basketball. My daughter has 5-hour per-week gymnastics commitment. My youngest son (8) plays soccer 2 seasons per year and 80% of his team each season has never played soccer before. He can't get better because every season they have to start with the basics; I'm looking for a level between rec and club for him that isn't going to demand another 5 hours per week.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mahomes dad was a serious MLB pitcher throughout the 90's. Genetics + training = freak.

Something to be said about the "gym rat" persona. Someone who has not been multi sport talented mentioned... Doug Flutie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every kid should play multiple sports, through high school. The Club Industrial Complex that asks parents to invest thousands of dollars into full-time training adds little value — and arugably hurts the truly 0.5% who are likely to earn a scholarship in any sport.

The research on this is extremely clear. I'm a father of three kids under 10 now; I grew up playing rec league baseball, flag football, soccer, and basketball. My daughter has 5-hour per-week gymnastics commitment. My youngest son (8) plays soccer 2 seasons per year and 80% of his team each season has never played soccer before. He can't get better because every season they have to start with the basics; I'm looking for a level between rec and club for him that isn't going to demand another 5 hours per week.

I posted something on teh basketball board last year, doctors believe one of the leading causes of major injuries like ACL tears in younger and younger kids now is specialization. Kids that focus on one sport wind up overtraining in that sport and then get hurt.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The Club Industrial Complex that asks parents to invest thousands of dollars into full-time training adds little value

yes

best quote I heard from fellow parent during my club basketball experience: "you know, this isn't really for the kids, its for the parents"

some advice for sports playing kids that are pre-high school:

1. To put the quote above in real terms: every person running a club for whatever will tell you your kid has potential/ talent / ability. Its the hook for personal training, etc. and your money.

2. At least for the local 6A high school my kids went to: to play a varsity sport, you need to be top 95% percentile of that sport. Club stuff might make a top 90% kid into a 95%-er -- but wont make a top 70% into a 95%-er. My opinion is that its mostly genes rather than training.

3. College scholarship? top 99+% or more. My son played on a club team with Marcus Howard, now at Marquette (who played up an age group in club). The difference in ability between Marcus and everyone else was jaw dropping to witness. Point here is people running clubs aren't above feeding parents' fantasies of college scholarship potential. Buyer beware.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Totally agree that kids should play multiple sports when younger and continue through high school. I did, basketball, baseball, soccer, cross country, and track. My boys are doing it now to. I just feel they get better at each sport by playing other sports. Keeping them focused and can learn moves/abilities from one sport that can help them in another.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA