Could Sammy Watkins be the answer at WR?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Firstly, there are huge numbers of fans that don't see the need to draft a WR this year. It's all over every ROTB article or Twitter post on the subject.

Second, I never said we don't need to draft a WR at all. I said THIS year. I want to see how the 4 young receivers develop before I say **** you guys. The 2021 class will be just as stacked.

Finally, save the personal insults. I could say exactly the same about anyone who looks at this O line, D line and defense as a whole and says a WR at #8 is the answer.
I visit ROTB frequently. It seems to be that your opinion is outnumbered there, too.

What? Are they going to cry or something if we draft another WR? Last I checked, this is a business. If you see another guy coming in & try to take your job, step your damn game up.

That’s not an insult. Stop it. I clearly said we shouldn’t go WR at 8 with Wirfs/Willis most likely being on the board. I’d much rather go for a WR on day two like a Jalen Reagor, Brandon Aiyuk, Quartney Davis, etc. To be comfortable with our current WR core & not go for a WR on Day Two at all is just.....hell no.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I visit ROTB frequently. It seems to be that your opinion is outnumbered there, too.

What? Are they going to cry or something if we draft another WR? Last I checked, this is a business. If you see another guy coming in & try to take your job, step your damn game up.

That’s not an insult. Stop it. I clearly said we shouldn’t go WR at 8 with Wirfs/Willis most likely being on the board. I’d much rather go for a WR on day two like a Jalen Reagor, Brandon Aiyuk, Quartney Davis, etc. To be comfortable with our current WR core & not go for a WR on Day Two at all is just.....hell no.

I'm the most rec'd person on ROTB so my opinions seem to be pretty widely shared.

If we need a wide receiver it's a sure fire WR1 outside. Rolling the dice on a day 2 guy that's more likely to just be another guy won't cut it.

I don't want Watkins. I was just putting the question out there to see what the perception was. The funny thing is, Sammy Watkins is considered a much better receiver than Hump is a LT, has missed less games and the money I proposed is much lower on the WR pay scale than Hump would be on the tackle scale. Yet one is a bust we shouldn't touch and the other some think we should sign to a multi year extension.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm the most rec'd person on ROTB so my opinions seem to be pretty widely shared.

If we need a wide receiver it's a sure fire WR1 outside. Rolling the dice on a day 2 guy that's more likely to just be another guy won't cut it.

I don't want Watkins. I was just putting the question out there to see what the perception was. The funny thing is, Sammy Watkins is considered a much better receiver than Hump is a LT, has missed less games and the money I proposed is much lower on the WR pay scale than Hump would be on the tackle scale. Yet one is a bust we shouldn't touch and the other some think we should sign to a multi year extension.
I would argue that more than a "WR1," we just really need a guy with size, consistency, and a decent deep presence to play the outside. The past few years of the NFL have shown that you can get it in the 2nd. It's supposedly a deep draft at the position. Our failure has been drafting a ton of small slot guys, with the exception of Butler, who is an unknown.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I will say this. Sammy Watkins had two of the greatest offensive minds in football pick him up for their offense. The Rams and McVay traded a 2nd and EJ Gaines and the Chiefs and Reid gave him a fat deal.

I absolutely agree he has under performed but thats generally been down to injuries. His career average is 56 yards per game. Thats more than Manny Sanders, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, Fitz and Theilen and only a fraction off Godwin and Davante Adams.

Like I say I'm not making the case for Watkins, although I don't think he's the bust people are making him out to be.
Actually Fitz's yards per games is 68.3, 17083/250, and his average yards per game in his first six years was 76.8. In the last six season its 61.46 (5716/93)

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually Fitz's yards per games is 68.3, 17083/250, and his average yards per game in his first six years was 76.8. In the last six season its 61.46 (5716/93)

Sorry you are correct, the others are right though.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I will say this. Sammy Watkins had two of the greatest offensive minds in football pick him up for their offense. The Rams and McVay traded a 2nd and EJ Gaines and the Chiefs and Reid gave him a fat deal.

It's a fair point and nobody could argue that he is talented but the flip side of that is both of those coaches failed at getting him going. He will get cut from the Chiefs this off season. I can't explain why but the dude flat out disappears.

It would be an interesting gamble to give Watkins a low ball prove it deal and see if KK can do something with him but its a complete lottery ticket at this point. I would rather gamble on Breshard Perriman, who at least showed signs of life/consistency in TB.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say because of his recent history is top end market value is $13m per. That could be money well spent for a 26 year old outside receiver of his ability...if we can get him back on form and give him the targets he needs.

Would you take the risk?
Well, not that they're the definitive authoritative source, but OverTheCap has him valued at $5.397M/year. I don't see anything in his history that warrants paying him anywhere near $13M.

Don't say you would rather have Lamb at #8. Lamb has never caught a pass in the league. He has as much chance of busting as Corey Coleman.
Doesn't this argument fly 100% in the face of your desire to let DJ Humphries go and draft an OT at #8 - and likely an RT in the likely event that Thomas doesn't fall that far?

...dave

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't someone recently post stats showing that 2nd round WRs are much more likley to succeed in the NFL than WRs picked in the 1st round?

Supply and demand at the WR position is in a completely different universe than at the LT position.

...dbs

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn't this argument fly 100% in the face of your desire to let DJ Humphries go and draft an OT at #8 - and likely an RT in the likely event that Thomas doesn't fall that far?

...dave

I have no problem keeping Hump at a value that represents his performance and injury history. Not 14m per.

I'd have no problem with Watkins at a fair price either. I don't know if that's 13m. I put that number out there based on Funchess getting 11m last year.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a fair point and nobody could argue that he is talented but the flip side of that is both of those coaches failed at getting him going. He will get cut from the Chiefs this off season. I can't explain why but the dude flat out disappears.

It would be an interesting gamble to give Watkins a low ball prove it deal and see if KK can do something with him but its a complete lottery ticket at this point. I would rather gamble on Breshard Perriman, who at least showed signs of life/consistency in TB.
I could live with doing something like this, similar to what we did with Kevin White this past training camp.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
One does not go into a draft backed into a corner grasping for need. You freaking sign or franchise Humphries unless you are confident and carry through finding a replacement in free agency, though personally I do not see one better than him for the full bug of age and talent and one should not expect such an opportunity at a position where the demand is higher than the supply. WR currently surely needs to be upgraded at the number one but there is no WR worth shelling out money for such a premier position that your young QB can grow with. If you think Fitz's contract was exuberant, well the Watkins and Coopers of the league are going to take your salary cap farther out into the ocean of no return with little to show for

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because of his injury history & where he was drafted, I already consider Watkins somewhat of a bust. So yes, I would rather have Lamb/Jeudy at 8 than pay Watkins.
I can literally name ten receivers I’d rather have at 8 than paying Watkins 13 mil per in FA on a multiyear deal.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
Sammy Watkins...they said such great things about him before the draft. But it's hard to believe than any NFL team takes his potential seriously anymore, He's not a total bust, but he's working on it.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone feel differently now he had 98 yards in the super bowl?

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Toasted the Sherminator in crunch time. Still don't want him on our team. He is no upgrade to what we have.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Toasted the Sherminator in crunch time. Still don't want him on our team. He is no upgrade to what we have.

He was so open that it had to be a blown coverage. I'm not a Watkins guy. Something tells me he'd pull a Suggs on us.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No. He is who he is. Watkins isn't great, but someone will overpay him if let go.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
[QUOTE="PACardsFan, post: 4144817, member: 100" I'm not a Watkins guy. Something tells me he'd pull a Suggs on us.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t like Watkins when he came out and don’t want him now.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not a Watkins fan, but I like how the Chiefs WRs come back to the ball.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It opens things up when the defense has to focus on Hill and Kelce . He will never be a primary #1 guy.