Spurs @ Suns Monday game thread 1-20-20

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
not the worst. Could have picked cam reddish.

I still think cam Johnson will be a decent player, but yeah we could have and should have done better.

In my opinion, Cam is a less athletic, more one dimensional scoring, poor man's version of Reddish.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second round picks aren't worth s*** this isn't entirely directed at you but tired of hearing people on this board complain about second round picks

In trade second round picks are worth more than their actual value. They are NBA currency.

A couple of second rounders essentially got the Jazz Jordan Clarkson. If the Suns still had their next two second round picks they could probably pick up a role playing point guard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyler Herro, too. That kid is going to be a problem next year. In reviewing the last draft, it’s hard for me to fathom what Jones saw in Cam that he didn’t see in Clarke, Hayes, Herro and others who were available

It's not just James Jones calling the shots, Jeff Bower was brought in as well and he had ties to Cam going back to before Cam started playing NCAA ball. Cam started off at Pitt and transferred to UNC. Bower was the coach at Marist but had ties to Cam's family and recruited him at some point. I don't recall all of the details but they're highlighted in this article from Bright Side.

So all of this talk about James Jones selecting Cam because Jones see Cam as himself ignores a huge detail, that being the Suns VP of Basketball Ops has a long history with Cam Johnson and his family. Of course that doesn't fit the narrative that some push, so it's easy to ignore. Not accusing you of that TJ, to be clear. I just happen to be replying to your post right now.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That isn't a high performer

So if someone was so emotionally fragile that they can't handle adversity for AT LEAST A YEAR

They won't perform in any high pressure situation
With rare exceptions, a young player doesn't enter the league as a "high performer".
Of course Bridges is not a high performer.

It is up to management to develop him, help him build confidence and run plays for him.

Last game, Bridges showed us what he is capable of when given the chance. He did perform
in a high pressure situation. There is a big gap between one who is emotionally fragile and
not being given a chance to develop.

I hope that with his huge scoring game, followed by being benched in lieu of Saric's huge
minus the next game, Bridges is given a chance. He clearly has more potential than Saric.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With rare exceptions, a young player doesn't enter the league as a "high performer".
Of course Bridges is not a high performer.

It is up to management to develop him, help him build confidence and run plays for him.

Last game, Bridges showed us what he is capable of when given the chance. He did perform
in a high pressure situation. There is a big gap between one who is emotionally fragile and
not being given a chance to develop.

I hope that with his huge scoring game, followed by being benched in lieu of Saric's huge
minus the next game, Bridges is given a chance. He clearly has more potential than Saric.

And yet I would bet the house that Saric remains in the starting line-up, anyway...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's not just James Jones calling the shots, Jeff Bower was brought in as well and he had ties to Cam going back to before Cam started playing NCAA ball. Cam started off at Pitt and transferred to UNC. Bower was the coach at Marist but had ties to Cam's family and recruited at some point. I don't recall all of the details but they're highlighted in this article from Bright Side.

So all of this talk about James Jones selecting Cam because Jones see Cam as himself ignores a huge detail, that being the Suns VP of Basketball Ops has a long history with Cam Johnson and his family. Of course that doesn't fit the narrative that some push, so it's easy to ignore. Not accusing you of that TJ, to be clear. I just happen to be replying to your post right now.

Well, considering what Bower did to ruin the Pistons franchise, perhaps he should be shown the door as well...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Tyler Herro, too. That kid is going to be a problem next year. In reviewing the last draft, it’s hard for me to fathom what Jones saw in Cam that he didn’t see in Clarke, Hayes, Herro and others who were available

The scouting department consisting of Ronnie Price and a few guys left over from McD’s staff really gives you hope doesn’t it. At least we didn’t take Coby White.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Saric played the fewest minutes of any starter and was basically foul fodder in his lackluster 20 minutes.
Who would you have started? You don't seem to like anybody on the roster and I would agree that this roster is definitely lacking.
Our backup roster is, as we've posted, pathetic.

The answer to your question is . . . Bridges. Especially after his breakout game.

I don't like small-ball, never have, but you do what you can.

Saric is not what I'd call a power Power Forward.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Mexico City part II?

The way teams make us switch at the top seems to have this team baffled. Whenever Ayton is forced out top we're exploited. When teams are using their Center to set picks on top I think Ayton should just drop down and someone else pick up the center. Then he can switch back if he crashes down or pick up the dribbler attacking the rim.

The other thing is just lackadaisical defense for long stretches until they really amp up pressure. They were sleep walking at times on the D end.

And they obviously can't go down 20+ and expect any kind of regular positive results.

Nice effort to come back though. They had it and let it slip away. On the D end yet again.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Missed the game but looks like another strong outing from Ayton. Good to see stringing some good performances together, though can't really tell how he did on the defensive end.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dumb turnovers and fouls continue to be a problem. On the flip side, Oubre was charged for some BS fouls, especially the one where he was pressuring Derozan full court.

Ricky changed everything right there, he makes both free throws, we play for OT.

I'm not liking the play for Booker, even if it was for the win, plenty of time for something more elaborate.
Ayton didn't roll quick enough, but moreso Booker could have given it another second to allow Ayton to get closer to the rim.
It seems Ayton knew the plan was for Booker to shoot it, he didn't remain active once Booker had the ball in his hands. He could have potentially blocked out LA for a tip-back.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Why does every team that plays the Suns set some kind of new team record for 3s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why does every team that plays the Suns set some kind of new team record for 3s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outside of Booker, Oubre and Bridges our perimeter defense is bad. That why that unit is effective and should be starting to prevent teams from going off.

Saric is a good player he's not the problem but isn't the solution to start games. One of Oubre or Bridges needs to be out there all the time. Out backup pg and sg situation doesn't help both ends of the court, especially when both Booker and Rubio are out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess I am the only one who thought Booker shot it at the right time. I hate when shooters wait until time is almost all off the clock, we get the offensive rebound for a put back and no time is remaining, You should shoot with a few seconds left to let our guys crashing the boards to get a secong chance. As for Booker passing to Ayton down the lane, it was obvious Ayton was NOT looking for the ball. Devin would have had a turn over had he tried to pass to Ayton. Monty said after the game that the play was for Booker for three. Not all shots will go in at the buzzer. We had our best guy take the last shot, I have no beef with that. I wish our other coaches thought that way. I only think Booker could have righted himself a bit more and took a better balanced shot. However, he's so much better a shooter than me, if he feels he can make a shot fading to his right, I defer to his judgement.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I am all for starting Bridges over Saric, but if we do, we will have a historically bad bench. Jones keeps saying that he is evaluating the current team. It is time to stop evaluating and time to start making some moves. A big move for a starting PF would be ideal, but even if that isn't available, we need to make a string of smaller moves to bring some scoring, some athleticism, and some toughness to our bench.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am all for starting Bridges over Saric, but if we do, we will have a historically bad bench. Jones keeps saying that he is evaluating the current team. It is time to stop evaluating and time to start making some moves. A big move for a starting PF would be ideal, but even if that isn't available, we need to make a string of smaller moves to bring some scoring, some athleticism, and some toughness to our bench.
I think it's kind of a wash on the second team. It may be better with Saric on the second team, because we really lack scoring from our second line. Saric is a bit better scorer than Bridges and could help with that marginally. I don't see us resigning Saric long term unless it is as a bench guy, We are going to upgrade PF this offseason when our cap loosens up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We already have a historically bad bench. Why compound that with a starting line-up with a gigantic hole? We already know Bridges can't carry the load offensively by himself, so putting him on the bench minimizes his impact on the game in addition to stunting his development.

Bridges' ideal role is as a 3 and D complimentary piece to the likes of Booker and Ayton, not being the only player worth a darn coming off the bench.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As marginal as these players are, we really missed Frank, Cam, and Aron in this game. Our starters were dragging in the last minute.

The light seems to have turned on for DA. In the previous two games it looked like the offense had changed and they were feeding DA down low much more often. This game not so much. He had a lot of jumpers in this game.

He does need to get a little more lift and arc on his jump shot. He habitually shoots just a tad short.

When DA goes straight up for rebounds, no one else can compete with him. He has such a long wingspan and pretty sure hands on rebounds. He had 25 and 12 in this game and there were so many easy things he can do to improve.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns got 16 points from their bench while the Spurs bench scored 47.

Also concerning is the Suns got off to a slow start but this is fixable with Oubre and Bridges at the forwards. The Suns need go to this lineup at the beginning of games to prevent what happened last night.

No excuse for the Suns to allow an opponent to shoot 17-31 from 3 point range.

Suns need to figure out a way to go to Ayton down low more often. Opponents shouldn't be able to guard him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Outside of Booker, Oubre and Bridges our perimeter defense is bad. That why that unit is effective and should be starting to prevent teams from going off.

Saric is a good player he's not the problem but isn't the solution to start games. One of Oubre or Bridges needs to be out there all the time. Out backup pg and sg situation doesn't help both ends of the court, especially when both Booker and Rubio are out.
Against the Spurs Booker, Bridges and Ayton all gave a up a DFG% above 55% and all were 50+% guarding threes (Ayton 5-8, Booker 3-6, Oubre 4-4). Bridges did have a good game in that regard as he gave up just 3-10 from the field and 1-4 from 3.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Against the Spurs Booker, Bridges and Ayton all gave a up a DFG% above 55% and all were 50+% guarding threes (Ayton 5-8, Booker 3-6, Oubre 4-4). Bridges did have a good game in that regard as he gave up just 3-10 from the field and 1-4 from 3.

True, though at least in the first half, guys were driving past Bridges at will...