Spurs @ Suns Monday game thread 1-20-20

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns don't have much to trade. They traded away their next two second round picks.

your right, they don’t have much to trade, which is exactly why a guy like him makes some sense.

I wanted to keep him and Holmes instead of frank and Baynes, and I think we would be better off if we had.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair maybe the reason that lineup is so potent at the end of games is because the other team's starts slowing down and it is a very athletic lineup.

That being said he should at least try it. I mean Boston starts a PF at C and a C at PF and not only are they a very good team, but are also a very good defense. No reason why that lineup couldn't be used to start games IMO.

Suns were lethargic in the first half. They need a lineup like this to get them going.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
your right, they don’t have much to trade, which is exactly why a guy like him makes some sense.

I wanted to keep him and Holmes instead of frank and Baynes, and I think we would be better off if we had.

So...the Suns don't have much to trade, and yet they only have 5 players (Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges and Rubio) on the roster with any semblance of a future on the team.

How is it that James Jones still has a job as GM?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i really like Hayes, to me he is going to be better than Clark.

Hayes has a very bright future. Clarke would have immediately filled a position of need. It would be hard to go wrong with either player.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So...the Suns don't have much to trade, and yet they only have 5 players (Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges and Rubio) on the roster with any semblance of a future on the team.

I agree I don’t think he did a very good job this offseason.

But he is not going anywhere till he screws up a bunch more, too good of relationship with Monty and Sarver.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Years ago after Sarver bought the team, I was really pounding the drum for Jerry West to be btought in as GM. We needed a guy with NBA titles behind him to rebuild our program and/or take it next level.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hayes has a very bright future. Clarke would have immediately filled a position of need. It would be hard to go wrong with either player.

And Herro would have given them the scoring and secondary ball handling they need off the bench. And Washington also would have immediately filled a position of need.

Frankly, other than Ty Jerome (whom they wasted a future first round pick later on), Cam Johnson was about the WORST player they could have picked at 11, and the combination of Saric and Cam Johnson was about the WORST they could have done with the #6 pick. James Jones needs to be held accountable here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's with all the injuries?

Kellan Olson‏Verified account @KellanOlson

Bridges had an ice wrap around the top of his right arm near his shoulder in the locker room. I asked him what it was specifically and he said the shoulder. Mentioned it getting stuck. Said he’s good.

8:44 PM - 20 Jan 2020

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Who did they get for those two second rounders? I thought all they gave up was the future Milwaukee pick.

Suns' picks in the near future -

2020 - Own #1, No #2 (conditionally traded to Memphis)
2021 - Own #1, No #2 (conditionally traded to Brooklyn or Memphis)
2022 - Own #1, Own #2
2023 - Own #1, Own #2
2024 - Own #1, Own #2
2025 - Own #1, Own #2

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Jaxson Hayes and Brandon Clarke were huge misses.

Tyler Herro, too. That kid is going to be a problem next year. In reviewing the last draft, it’s hard for me to fathom what Jones saw in Cam that he didn’t see in Clarke, Hayes, Herro and others who were available

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree I don’t think he did a very good job this offseason.

But he is not going anywhere till he screws up a bunch more, too good of relationship with Monty and Sarver.

At this point, the only things left to screw up would be to lose Booker and Ayton for nothing, either in bad trades or through frustration with the losing culture, and at that point the franchise would never recover. This franchise is currently on life support as it is...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns' picks in the near future -

2020 - Own #1, No #2 (conditionally traded to Memphis)
2021 - Own #1, No #2 (conditionally traded to Brooklyn or Memphis)
2022 - Own #1, Own #2
2023 - Own #1, Own #2
2024 - Own #1, Own #2
2025 - Own #1, Own #2

So...on top of everything else we gave up two high second round picks to dump Josh Jackson's contract. Starting to wonder once more if James Jones really is a Lakers mole...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
At this point, the only things left to screw up would be to lose Booker and Ayton for nothing, either in bad trades or through frustration with the losing culture, and at that point the franchise would never recover. This franchise is currently on life support as it is...
In contrast, look at the Coyotes. Their GM is raelly stocking their squad with solid talant. Arguably the Dbacks GM is doing a good job also.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Tyler Herro, too. That kid is going to be a problem next year. In reviewing the last draft, it’s hard for me to fathom what Jones saw in Cam that he didn’t see in Clarke, Hayes, Herro and others who were available
I think he just overthought it. His mindset was probably along the lines of needing someone that can shoot 3s because of the extra importance on 3 point shooting nowadays and an older college player because he wanted someone that could help immediately. Ironically those other guys are helping their current teams even more than Cam is helping ours.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree. Herro was another one.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
I would have started the obvious line-up that several other fans have been pushing: Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Bridges and Ayton.
Fair point. Like I posted when I joined last year, re-learning this organization. Excited about the possibility yet slow
development of the 2018 #1 pick. I would love to see Bridges as a starter on a nightly basis. I just don't believe Saric
cost the Suns the ball game.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC, if you're out there, we could use some enlightenment from your extensive experience in management as to what naturally happens when personnel is punished for good performance and rewarded for bad performance...

You just answered it yourself. At least Bridges was part of the Suns getting back in the game with defense. That is evidently his type-cast except in an emergency.

I don't think a play was set up for him all night. He played 32 minutes to Saric's 20. Here is a telling stat. Bridges (along with the other three bench players and
Booker and Oubre) finished with a "+". Saric "led" the three starters who finished with a "-" with a minus-22. A minus-22. If that doesn't send him to the bench,
nothing will.

Here is another point. Devin Booker played the entire 2nd half. And although we came from 20 points down and took our only lead near the end of the game,
we still lost.

Playing Book the whole 2nd half can be described only as desperation. We're not going to win many games that way. Desperation management is not a long
range plan. Whose idea is that? Is is Monty's? That would be surprising. Is it Sarver/Jones'? That sounds more like it. I feel for Monty. I'm sure he counted on
support to do his job.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In contrast, look at the Coyotes. Their GM is raelly stocking their squad with solid talant. Arguably the Dbacks GM is doing a good job also.
Maybe a tie with the Cards and Suns over which GM is worse right now?

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
So...on top of everything else we gave up two high second round picks to dump Josh Jackson's contract. Starting to wonder once more if James Jones really is a Lakers mole...
Second round picks aren't worth s*** this isn't entirely directed at you but tired of hearing people on this board complain about second round picks

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

In terms of roster construction, John Chayka has been brilliant. The Yotes' only problem is that their coach is the Earl Watson of the NHL. Give them even an average coach, and that is a Stanley Cup contender.

As for Hazen, he is doing what he can with what ownership gives him, and I think he has been quite fantastic in that role.

Makes the Suns being this badly mismanaged for a decade hurt even more, particularly since the Suns were the only game in town when I grew up here, and outside of the 3-year dark period with the drug scandal, it was routinely among the classiest and best run organizations in sports (not the NBA, all of professional sports) for years.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Herro would have given them the scoring and secondary ball handling they need off the bench. And Washington also would have immediately filled a position of need.

Frankly, other than Ty Jerome (whom they wasted a future first round pick later on), Cam Johnson was about the WORST player they could have picked at 11, and the combination of Saric and Cam Johnson was about the WORST they could have done with the #6 pick. James Jones needs to be held accountable here.

not the worst. Could have picked cam reddish.

I still think cam Johnson will be a decent player, but yeah we could have and should have done better.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Second round picks aren't worth s*** this isn't entirely directed at you but tired of hearing people on this board complain about second round picks

They are to a team with only 5 NBA level players, no bench and not much cap space, particular where those picks are on the cusp of the first round...