The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Twitter is laying into Houston for losing to the Thunder. Apparently there was a big run by the Thunder to get them the lead in the end and Harden was awful from 3 all game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

D'Antoni runs a smaller lineup every game it seems. Only playing Capela 25 minutes. PJ Tucker is the closest thing to a big they have. On almost every other team in the league McLemore, Gordon, and House would be SG's, Sefolosha would be a SF but that's because he's too old and slow to play SG anymore.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dragan Bender doing well in the G-League. He has bulked up quite a bit. That kid might have a future in the NBA yet. He now has a center's body.

He should have spent his entire first year in the G-League. Most of these big guys are drafted way too young. Their bodies just are not developed enough for the NBA yet. The league and CBA need to have rules that allow teams to make more use of the G-League. The present two-way player contracts are too restrictive. Teams should be able to send players down or bring them up at will, without penalty if the player is 21 or younger.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In more sad news involving NBA players, looks like Delonte West is in really bad shape. Hopefully the NBA or a player, past or present, can reach out and get him some help.

There is strong language in the video in this article, just a warning.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/20/delonte-west-disturbing-video-beaten-streets-nba/
Like they said on undisputed “nobody was blowing a horn or yelling at the guy to stop pounding on west.” Amazing

yeah I hope West accepts the help that is coming to him after seeing this video.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dragan Bender doing well in the G-League. He has bulked up quite a bit. That kid might have a future in the NBA yet. He now has a center's body.

He should have spent his entire first year in the G-League. Most of these big guys are drafted way too young. Their bodies just are not developed enough for the NBA yet. The league and CBA need to have rules that allow teams to make more use of the G-League. The present two-way player contracts are too restrictive. Teams should be able to send players down or bring them up at will, without penalty if the player is 21 or younger.

They can send players up and down however they please. I don't believe it's age but experience that sets restrictions for how much a team can send a player down. The Suns have had Lecque down almost all year on a regular contract, for example. They also had Okobo and Melton down for the majority of last season. If a player isn't on a rookie contract anymore then the team needs their permission to send them to the G-League.

Found this in the CBA FAQ about G-League assignments...

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q81

Two way contracts only limit the time a player can be with their main team, not the G-League affiliate. They could be kept down all season and a team could do the same with a player on a real contract as well but they won't get out of paying their minimum salary. The Two-Way deals keep them from needing approval if the player has more than 2 years of experience but that's really it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dwight Powell of Mavericks injured.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
with all these achilles tears, makes you think how Kobe was able to walk on it and shoot some free throws.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It was terrible. As soon as it happened, everyone knew exactly what happened. He was driving to the rim, fell down, looked behind him as if though someone kicked him. Then he screamed, hit the floor with his hand and just laid down. Really feel bad for him. He was starting to have a really good season.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In more sad news involving NBA players, looks like Delonte West is in really bad shape. Hopefully the NBA or a player, past or present, can reach out and get him some help.

There is strong language in the video in this article, just a warning.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/20/delonte-west-disturbing-video-beaten-streets-nba/

Cop punished for filming former NBA player Delonte West during mental breakdown

https://rollingout.com/2020/01/22/c...-player-delonte-west-during-mental-breakdown/

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. Two comments on this. Yes. The cop should be punished. Videoing this and publishing it is unprofessional behavior.

NBA players calling for the league to help is non-sensical. The players have plenty of money. They can do this personally or through the NBAPA.

I agree on the cop being punished, I'm not sure how anyone could think a police officer was in the right for filming and distributing that video.

As far as calls for the league to do something, I don't see it as calling for the league office to do something so much as the league in a generic sense, which would also include the players union and specific organizations he was a part of. I could be wrong but I think it's easier just to ask the league to do something rather than singling out a specific department. I read something yesterday that said the NBA has been in touch with him to offer assistance but it was vague in saying just that, not going into any details about who from the NBA reached out and what sort of help they offered.

Are they obligated to do something though? I'd say no but at the same time, it'll hurt them more to turn their backs on him than helping him would. Thankfully it's not a situation that they'll need to deal with often. This has to be one of the most severe instances of a former player falling on tough times.

The NBA is a billion dollar industry that does a ton of charity work and participates in a number of community outreach programs. They can spend a little bit to get former players help when they fall that far. It will hurt their bottom line and public image more to ignore instances like this than helping him would.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think money is the issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if West has money still. His problem is he’s literally gone crazy and sadly this country’s laws making helping insane people almost impossible. They can’t be committed without consent and won’t consent because they’re insane. It usually takes a violent crime to get them off the streets and evaluated.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
1/22/20, 4:05 PM
Sources: The Mavs have touched base with Joakim Noah as they search for center depth in the wake of Dwight Powell's season-ending injury. Dallas has concerns about Noah's health and is considering several other options, including G League and overseas players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of surprised Gortat hasn't found a home yet. He's nothing special but he has less medical red flags than someone like Noah.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave