Was I Serious

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess you and I see this a little differently. I don't think another 4-5 win season is going to cut it for Keim to keep his job, and if Keim is removed, Kliff's job is on the line too. With our funky cap space and everything, I think we need to really nail it in the limited moves we make.

I certainly wish we could upgrade both, as I hate our WRs too, but I think OL has gone painfully neglected over the years and we can make Kyler's life easier at WR by signing someone who is decent but not a superstar that has size to play on the outside.

Our O-line hasn't been neglected. The choices have been disappointing.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Two offensive lineman in the first three rounds for the past five years, with one practically a 4th rounder screams neglect to me. Push it to the entirety of Keim's tenure and he has selected 3 offensive lineman in the first three rounds, which amounts to 3/22 picks.

Ultra neglect. Good offensive linemen don't hit free agency for the most part, which is why we've been so bad. Heck, we wouldn't have taken DJ Humphries if Shane Ray slid one more spot, IIRC.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Look at it this way.

He's drafted as many Day 1 and 2 WRs as O linemen yet we always have 5 O line on the field. We probably average 2.5 WRs on the field.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WR unknowns.
Kugler has proved he can develop Oline talent.

The more I think about it, we'll be drafting defense.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with you that we made mistakes drafting these guys. I don't believe any of them were drafted to be WR1's. I just believe we are now in a draft position to nab a legit #1. I'm fine going the BPA route at 8. If it means we draft our WR1, you do it. I believe we have a special QB. It may be time to team him up with a special WR. Not that the guys you mentioned can't be solid contributors. They can. I just don't believe we have a #1 on our current roster.
As has been pointed out with KC and to a lesser extent Baltimore, this is a scoring league to a large extent now. Baltimore played from behind less than any other team this past season. That is a HUGE difference maker, putting the pressure on the other teams offense to keep up. Titans and Henry had really the only solution to that problem.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Two offensive lineman in the first three rounds for the past five years, with one practically a 4th rounder screams neglect to me. Push it to the entirety of Keim's tenure and he has selected 3 offensive lineman in the first three rounds, which amounts to 3/22 picks.

Ultra neglect. Good offensive linemen don't hit free agency for the most part, which is why we've been so bad. Heck, we wouldn't have taken DJ Humphries if Shane Ray slid one more spot, IIRC.
It'll be addressed earlier this draft, imo. Maybe just not 1st.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
As has been pointed out with KC and to a lesser extent Baltimore, this is a scoring league to a large extent now. Baltimore played from behind less than any other team this past season. That is a HUGE difference maker, putting the pressure on the other teams offense to keep up. Titans and Henry had really the only solution to that problem.
I would argue that the Titans defense was a huge part (maybe the biggest) of the Titans being able to get out to a lead and play from the front. If Baltimore comes right out and scores a couple early TDs it's a much different game, but they were only able to score 6 points at the end of each half.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
KC’s defense isn’t great, but it’s also not horrible. If this were a scoring league, teams like the Lions would be just fine.

It'll be addressed earlier this draft, imo. Maybe just not 1st.
I’m not sure how we do that to really be impactful, but I guess we could maybe aim for a Becton to compete against Justin Murray if I’m being optimistic.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I would argue that the Titans defense was a huge part (maybe the biggest) of the Titans being able to get out to a lead and play from the front. If Baltimore comes right out and scores a couple early TDs it's a much different game, but they were only able to score 6 points at the end of each half.
Vrabel has them really playing their nuts off!
Kudos to what that staff is accomplishing in this run. As with everything there has to be good balance.

But the league has been moving towards offensive juggernauts for a while now with D's then molded to tee off on opposing teams trying to keep up.

The really only D oriented teams to Win a SB since the 2000's have been Seattle, NY Giants and Baltimore. NE has been pretty balanced on both sides, with Brady pulling out a couple. You have to have both but most success in getting to and moving through the playoffs are a balanced attack and solid reads of what opposing D's are trying to take away.

After that it's the QB making the most with the surrounding weapons to succeed consistently. Having at least one or two weapons that can't be stopped with single coverage is a big deal. Same with a premier running attack. Opens everything else up along with 2nd-3rd/short downs. When you can keep the other O on the sidelines for big chunks of the game, it's huge and D's love that!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KC’s defense isn’t great, but it’s also not horrible. If this were a scoring league, teams like the Lions would be just fine.

I’m not sure how we do that to really be impactful, but I guess we could maybe aim for a Becton to compete against Justin Murray if I’m being optimistic.

Becton is going to rise, already some guys have him going as high as 10 or 11.

Another option might be Saadiq Charles. He's getting a lot of attention after the national championship and declared yesterday. Very athletic mobile LT.

Things are going to change so much, there are going to be a lot of guys that flew under the radar this season that people haven't got to on tape yet (like Charles) who are going to come shooting out of nowhere into the top 50.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
sorry guys, 100% guaranteed we aren't drafting a WR. its OT or defense.

front office is going to give our 3 WR we took last year a chance to develop. Larry back in 2020 and can post 1,000 yards with a better Oline and a defense that will get off the field more often than they did in 2019. Larry still has enough in the tank to give us a bridge year as a semi-viable #1 to allow us to evaluate our 3 rookies.

WR could absolutely be our 1st round pick in 2021 or it could be buried on our list of needs. very little is known about our WR room right now. A lot is known about our defense and OT.

I didn't realize Steve Keim posted on this board.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we draft a WR, I think it needs to be at 8. We have young talented depth, but a special talent like Lamb/Jeudy make sense. Drafting another on the same level as what we already have seems like a waste of draft capital and confidence in ability to develop. Nobody drafted after round 1 will be guaranteed to be better than what we have, but now valuable reps will be harder to come by and we will probably have a bunch of unknowns again next year. We have many positions that are in more desperate need of a mid round talent

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we draft a WR, I think it needs to be at 8. We have young talented depth, but a special talent like Lamb/Jeudy make sense. Drafting another on the same level as what we already have seems like a waste of draft capital and confidence in ability to develop. Nobody drafted after round 1 will be guaranteed to be better than what we have, but now valuable reps will be harder to come by and we will probably have a bunch of unknowns again next year. We have many positions that are in more desperate need of a mid round talent

I'm not sure people realise how risky Big12 receivers are.

Of the 90+ starting WRs in the NFL only 7 come from the Big12 (excluding rookies who haven't proven anything)

Amendola, Westbrook, Kenny Stills, Jakeem Grant, James Washington, Lockett, Sterling Shepard.

Only one of them has ever broke 1000 yards and Lockett didn't do anything until year 4. None of them were round 1 picks.

While some of the biggest busts have been round 1 Big12 receivers.

Corey Coleman, Tavon Austin, Kevin White, Josh Doctson, Justin Blackmon.

Add in his speed. He's expected to run slower than 4.5.

The only WR to run over 4.5 and go top 10 was Michael Crabtree and he was done by 30 as he got slower.

Lamb would be a huge statistical anomoly if he worked out.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Of the 90+ starting WRs in the NFL only 7 come from the Big12 (excluding rookies who haven't proven anything)

Amendola, Westbrook, Kenny Stills, Jakeem Grant, James Washington, Lockett, Sterling Shepard.

Only one of them has ever broke 1000 yards and Lockett didn't do anything until year 4. None of them were round 1 picks.

The only WR to run over 4.5 and go top 10 was Michael Crabtree and he was done by 30 as he got slower.

I haven’t really dove into his tape yet, so I can’t say one way or the other if he is worthy of top ten. I was mostly trying to say that if there is an elite talent that projects as a game changer, then get him. But adding another secondary option is what I’m against in middle rounds

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

How many of those receivers played the same offense in the NFL they played in college?
How many had the same QB they starred with in college? This is a unique situation and I’m not sure history provides much guidance.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We already know the positional individuals ALL worthy of the top 10. Just so happens they're mtl needs areas also.

OT's - Thomas, Wills and Wirfs
WR's- Jeudy, Lamb
LB- Simmons
DL- Brown

Good problem to have when maybe three or more could fall to us at 8.
So.o.o - to dumb things down, you ask yourself: if it's between, say, Jeudy and Simmons, which guy will improve the overall play of the team the most? Then let the chips fall.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many of those receivers played the same offense in the NFL they played in college?
How many had the same QB they starred with in college? This is a unique situation and I’m not sure history provides much guidance.

We shouldn't be drafting players because we are currently playing a similar scheme or we have a QB he played a season with. Both those things are open to change.