Are teams making plans...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking the Nflpa upcoming contract and the possibilities of a player holdout?

I don’t like a gloom and doom outlook but there have been grumbling already for players to plan ahead.

Do you think it changes our philosophy as far as free agents or cap space?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So John Clayton was on Doug and Wolf this week, and they asked him about the new CBA. I expected him to say that there was trouble, but to my surprise he said that he thinks they could announce a new deal before the Super Bowl.

He said that the NFLPA has already sent out terms that they have agreed to to the players, and they are still hammering out some figures, but the major points of the deal have been decided on. He did say that there is a real possibility of moving to 17 games because of the revenue increase.

They need to get it done. The NFL rakes in money, there is more than enough to go around and make everyone happy. A work stoppage would be the worst thing for all parties involved.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
No big revenue benefit to adding regular season game and dropping preseason game since TV contracts are already set. I think they’d like to drop a preseason game once those contracts come up. Owners don’t like to give away money. I would expect to see even less veteran preseason play in the future.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think they need to implement my idea...although of course they wont.

Move to 17 games, but give out additional bye weeks (1, possibly 2) throughout the season. The Superbowl now moves to President's Day Weekend (Pres Day is the 3rd monday in Feb).

What is more American than the Superbowl? A lot of people have that monday off, and it becomes even more of a spectacle.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Meaning that every team should assume that the extra game Will be played elesewhere.
Could be London, Mexico City But also Columbo, Ohio Or in San Antonio
Ahhhh...well whatever makes them more money lol

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No big revenue benefit to adding regular season game and dropping preseason game since TV contracts are already set. I think they’d like to drop a preseason game once those contracts come up. Owners don’t like to give away money. I would expect to see even less veteran preseason play in the future.

I am thinking that the players (NFLPA) would want more money (% of total revenue) then they are getting. I think they get 48.5 % of total revenue and presently get 3.03 % per game. Now if they want a 17 game season then you would think that the NFLPA would want an increase to reflect 51.53% of total revenue. The question is will the owners do that.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I am thinking that the players (NFLPA) would want more money (% of total revenue) then they are getting. I think they get 48.5 % of total revenue and presently get 3.03 % per game. Now if they want a 17 game season then you would think that the NFLPA would want an increase to reflect 51.53% of total revenue. The question is will the owners do that.
What I’m hearing is that the league is willing to meet the nflpa if the league then Can place the extra game on a 3rd place location for PR and extra revenue

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If I were part of the NFLPA, I would be pushing to get rid of the inactive list and have all 53 players active every game. That would probably help with injuries to some extent.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If I were part of the NFLPA, I would be pushing to get rid of the inactive list and have all 53 players active every game. That would probably help with injuries to some extent.
I believe the inactive players have a game check. THere are players at the bottom of the 45 man roster who don't play most weeks.

OTOH, if you have 5 players with injuries who can't play, but can't go in IR, you're at a competitive disadvantage against a team with 53 healthy players.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I believe the inactive players have a game check. THere are players at the bottom of the 45 man roster who don't play most weeks.

OTOH, if you have 5 players with injuries who can't play, but can't go in IR, you're at a competitive disadvantage against a team with 53 healthy players.

If they go to 17 games would they look at expanding the roster to maybe 55 or 56 players? I wonder how much additional income is produced by having the 17th game? How would that affect TV contracts? Having a 17th game would put a lot of additional income into the pockets of the TV broadcasts with commercials, etc. How would it affect the salary cap? Would it bump up minimum salary for vets?

If they did lift the inactive list would it change how a coach would build the roster? You can hide certain players on the roster now and just keep them inactive now. You're right with the injuries, it could certainly give a team a competitive advantage over a team with multiple injuries. Do you expand the IR list and/or change designations on return time from the IR? They could do what baseball does (15 day, 30 day, etc. disable list) and have different IR designations. You could place a player with a high ankle sprain on a say 4 week IR, pull up a practice squad player and then at the end of 4 weeks have the IR player return and send down the practice squad player back to the PS. Baseball moves players up and down all the time. I personally think it's a good idea to have that kind of flexibility. I would still keep the ability of a team to sign away a PS player from another team and having to keep them on the active roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson