The Cordy Glenn option

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For those not keen on rolling with a rookie LT then one option is Cordy Glenn.

The Bengals are almost certainly done with him after they fell out over his injury and they have Jonah Williams, thier 2019 first round pick coming back from injury.

Glenn is due a 2m roster bonus 3 days after the league year starts so the Bengals are likely to cut him (no dead money) if they can't find a trade partner and that's where we come in.

We don't want Glenn to hit FA in such a sparse market so we send our 7th rounder to the Bengals. It may take more if there is other interest but not much.

His cap hit next year is 9.5m so he would be considerably cheaper than Hump and could start at LT while a rookie develops. If that rookie hits the ground running Glenn can play everywhere except center. So can start at RT or backup the whole line.

Keim could also negotiate a new deal with him. Give him the security of more years for a lower cost. Say 3 years for 18m.

Hes not as great as he was and has some injury concerns, but he's no worse than Hump.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would take him as a RT but at reduced salary. I’d rather have him than using a 1st round pick on a RT.

of course this all assuming DJ is back and healthy.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I would rather have Jason Peters for 1-2 years.

I still want Trent Williams.

These guys are Pro's. Yeah, you give up long term years but you gain immediate stability & performance plus cap flexibility.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would rather have Jason Peters for 1-2 years.

I still want Trent Williams.

These guys are Pro's. Yeah, you give up long term years but you gain immediate stability & performance plus cap flexibility.
Williams hasn't played a full season in 6 years. Even then, he's only done it twice in 10 years. He's also apparently had cancer. No thanks when we need to protect our most valuable asset. Peters is way too old to count on.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Williams hasn't played a full season in 6 years. Even then, he's only done it twice in 10 years. He's also apparently had cancer. No thanks when we need to protect our most valuable asset. Peters is way too old to count on.
He’s the only one that’s just still batting for the (clearly not going to happen) Trent Williams option.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Id be down for sure. I'm not going to beat the dead horse, but Humphries has done nothing to warrant 15 million per year and 40 million guaranteed. If you let me choose which guy I wanted for 9.5 million next year, I would probably pick DJ because of age and continuity...but that is not the scenario we are in. It's minimum pay DJ 15 million for the tag, or lock ourselves into 5 years of mediocre LT play at elite LT money.

Cory Glenn is a pro. A guy that could play LT next year and easily grade out at 65...which is what DJ did this year...and probably do better. I like the idea that if Andrew Thomas (the best pure LT in the draft) were to fall to us, then Glenn could start at RT and give us a big upgrade there as well, but we are not forced to take a LT in the first round.

I would send the Bengals our 6th rounder and call it a day.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know how insane it is to bank on a LT who has started 16 games 3 seasons in his 8 year career?

A guy, who my most accounts is on the decline?

About the same as banking on one that has played one full season in 4?

Cordy Glenn - 12.2 games per season average - 9.5m - can play both tackle and guard spots

Hump - 10.75 games per season average - 14m - can only play LT

Seems like a no brainer

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
About the same as banking on one that has played one full season in 4?

Cordy Glenn - 12.2 games per season average - 9.5m - can play both tackle and guard spots

Hump - 10.75 games per season average - 14m - can only play LT

Seems like a no brainer

That's not looking at recent trend.

Glenn has started a total of 23/48 games over the past 3 years. He has had concussion issues, lower body issues, and shoulder issues.

And he is 30. The Bill's moved on from him. Teams dont let good LTs leave.

Humphries was fine last year.