NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way. Bogdan is gonna be in Dallas next year. He and Luka are good friends, and they would be deadly together. Not sure how Cuban is gonna make it happen, but Bogdan will be playing with Luka next year.

Maybe a reason the Kings trade him now.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Maybe a reason the Kings trade him now.

Yeah, but do we really want a half-season rental? I guess if they take TJ and include something else, it might not be a bad idea. Bogdan is probably a better point guard than anyone the Suns have other than Rubio, even though he is not a real PG. He defends well and shoots well, so he could be useful for half a season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but do we really want a half-season rental? I guess if they take TJ and include something else, it might not be a bad idea. Bogdan is probably a better point guard than anyone the Suns have other than Rubio, even though he is not a real PG. He defends well and shoots well, so he could be useful for half a season.

Maybe the Suns figure out a way to keep Bogdan. If not, he may get the Suns to the playoffs.

It all hinges around if the Suns have interest in Dedmon.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns figure out a way to keep Bogdan. If not, he may get the Suns to the playoffs.

It all hinges around if the Suns have interest in Dedmon.
On that contract... I hope we have no interest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On that contract... I hope we have no interest.

I'm not a Dedmon fan. Trying to compensate if the Suns wanted to trade for him.

Baynes' game has disappeared.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Starting center now is exactly the same...Ayton. Starting center otherwise, Baynes, isn't one-tenth as good as Ayton.

As for power forward, as one dimensional as he was, we were better off with Warren starting at power forward than we are with Saric starting there now. Neither can defend, though Warren is actually a better defender than Saric. Both are poor rebounders for the position. The difference is that Warren, while being as good of a shooter, can also put the ball on the floor and score different ways, making him a superior scorer and rendering it tougher for opponents to defend our line-up (instead of now where opponents know all Saric can do is camp out at the three point line and shoot set shots...and erratically at that).

Reading this makes me think you never watched Warren play.

He has to be one of the least impactful scorers I've ever seen.

No way that he is better than Saric, and Saric isnt really that good. He just does everything else other than scoring better than Warren.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet they are ahead of us in the standings, further along in their rebuild and in a better cap situation.

You never followed up my replay to this, absolutely absurd, post.

This kind of trash is the reason so many people totally ignore you. You try to play the victim, you claim that people don't want to hear harsh truths... meanwhile when you spout garbage like this... you take zero ownership to your nonsensical trash.

I cannot take your opinion seriously because you only seem to take it seriously when it is convenient.

Please... explain to me your astoundingly inaccurate claims regarding the Suns situation vs the Kings.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Saric is better for this roster than Warren would be. There are definitely players who would be better than Saric, subject to availability, but Warren is not one of them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric is better for this roster than Warren would be. There are definitely players who would be better than Saric, subject to availability, but Warren is not one of them.

Saric isn't mentioned much nationally but the few mentions I've seen about him as a Sun are positive. He's bashed relentlessly by some people but it's largely underserved. Would I like a better starting PF? Yes, but he is an upgrade over Bender, Chriss, and the SF's we've started at PF over the last few years like Ariza, Dudley, and Warren.

Almost every team in the league has 1 starter they'd like to upgrade and considering where the Suns were last year, Saric is pretty good "worst starter" or least productive starter. Now I'm not saying Saric is the longterm answer but he shouldn't be the whipping boy that he's become. He's not even the worst starting PF in the West, like some would lead you to believe.

Just to compare him to a few other teams that are lacking a quality PF, I compared his stats to Dwight Powell in Dallas and Royce O'Neal in Utah. Dallas is 27-15 and Utah is 29-13.

Dwight Powell is labeled as Dallas' starting C or PF, depending on how sites label Porzingis. Since Porzingis is a 7'3" rim protector for Dallas, I feel like Powell qualifies. Saric is a better 3pt and FT shooter. Saric also rebounds better and scores more while playing less minutes and Powell is a little older as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://bkref.com/tiny/IPHUl

In Utah, O'Neal is a better 3pt shooter but Saric is a better rebounder and passer than him also, and a better scorer overall.

You must be registered for see images attach

http://bkref.com/tiny/jYIj7

Other players poor performances get chalked up to numerous things, be it inconsistent playing time, not playing with the same teammates, changing their role, etc but I don't see Saric afforded those same excuses. Either "he sucks" or "he wasn't awful" seems to be how he's judged after every game and he's had a few good games, last night being one. I don't believe he's cost them any games, which can't be said for the other starters.

I think we'll see him produce a little more now that Ayton is back and Saric plays with him for the most part. What he's asked to do with Ayton is a lot different than he was asked with Baynes or Kaminsky. He was brought in to play with Ayton and hadn't had that chance until recently, and he's looked pretty decent recently. Who a player shares frontcourt responsibilities with is just as important as backcourt mates playing off one another and we've seen how much Rubio has helped Booker and Booker has also helped Rubio. Let's allow Ayton and Saric to develop some chemistry also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Bogdanovic, but the Kings probably want at least a 1st rounder for him.

No doubt Bogdan is worth it but on an expiring contract I doubt they get it unless it's a late first rounder from a playoff team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Reading this makes me think you never watched Warren play.

He has to be one of the least impactful scorers I've ever seen.

No way that he is better than Saric, and Saric isnt really that good. He just does everything else other than scoring better than Warren.

This wasn't a testament to how good Warren is, but rather to how awful Saric is.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No doubt Bogdan is worth it but on an expiring contract I doubt they get it unless it's a late first rounder from a playoff team.
He will be a RFA though. So we would have the ability to keep him around no matter what if we want to. Might make it worth at least giving up a protected first.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will be a RFA though. So we would have the ability to keep him around no matter what if we want to. Might make it worth at least giving up a protected first.

The site I was looking at shows Bogdan as a free agent next season.

He indeed would be worthy of a protected first round pick if he were a restricted free agent.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You never followed up my replay to this, absolutely absurd, post.

This kind of trash is the reason so many people totally ignore you. You try to play the victim, you claim that people don't want to hear harsh truths... meanwhile when you spout garbage like this... you take zero ownership to your nonsensical trash.

I cannot take your opinion seriously because you only seem to take it seriously when it is convenient.

Please... explain to me your astoundingly inaccurate claims regarding the Suns situation vs the Kings.

I just checked the standings, and it seems you're right there. The Suns have just leapfrogged the Kings in the standings and are now 3 games ahead. My bad. Before this 7-4 stretch, the Kings were ahead.

In terms of NBA talent, the Suns certainly have more up top but only go 5 deep (Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges and Rubio). On the Kings, the following players have NBA talent and would get playing time on the Suns over anyone outside that top 5: Fox, Bagley, Hield, Bogdanovic, Barnes, Bazemore, Ferrell, Dedmon (this bad season aside), Giles, Bjelica and Holmes. In other words, twice the depth.

Cap wise, the Suns have $91,769,395 in salaries committed for next season. Counting expiring deals, the are currently projected to be $31,441,270 over the cap heading into next season, with $55,671,875 in cap holds for expiring deals and an incomplete roster charge (a total of $24,230,605 for free agents and draft picks, if we renounce everybody who is expiring, with another $5,005,350 possible if he cut Kaminsky):

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/2020/

Sacramento, on the other hand, has $105,317,658 in salaries committed for next season, but that includes $61,856,462 in cap holds for expiring deals. These numbers also grossly overestimate the contract Hield is going to get, estimating a cap number for him at $26,431,818 (not that it matters in terms of cap space for this coming offseason, since Sacramento has Bird rights for him):

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/2020/

So, to summarize, I was wrong on the first and right on the second and third.

Sorry for being mistaken on the first.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Warren at least can score. What exactly is Saric doing for us, outside of the occasional game like last night that has occurred basically once every three weeks?

Both are awful defenders, though I maintain that Warren is better than Saric defensively. Meanwhile: Warren's PER is 16.45. Saric's PER is 12.51.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is restricted according to ESPN and I am fairly certain he is still currently under his first contract.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20229609/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2020-2021

I checked another site besides HoopsHype. They show he is subject to a qualifying offer in 2020-21. Can't imagine the Kings not picking it up at least for trade purposes. So yes, a team should be able to acquire him with another year left on his contract. He would look fine in a Suns uniform.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/bogdan-bogdanovic-15379/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just checked the standings, and it seems you're right there. The Suns have just leapfrogged the Kings in the standings and are now 3 games ahead. My bad. Before this 7-4 stretch, the Kings were ahead.

In terms of NBA talent, the Suns certainly have more up top but only go 5 deep (Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges and Rubio). On the Kings, the following players have NBA talent and would get playing time on the Suns over anyone outside that top 5: Fox, Bagley, Hield, Bogdanovic, Barnes, Bazemore, Ferrell, Dedmon (this bad season aside), Giles, Bjelica and Holmes. In other words, twice the depth.

Cap wise, the Suns have $91,769,395 in salaries committed for next season. Counting expiring deals, the are currently projected to be $31,441,270 over the cap heading into next season, with $55,671,875 in cap holds for expiring deals and an incomplete roster charge (a total of $24,230,605 for free agents and draft picks, if we renounce everybody who is expiring, with another $5,005,350 possible if he cut Kaminsky):

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/cap/2020/

Sacramento, on the other hand, has $105,317,658 in salaries committed for next season, but that includes $61,856,462 in cap holds for expiring deals. These numbers also grossly overestimate the contract Hield is going to get, estimating a cap number for him at $26,431,818 (not that it matters in terms of cap space for this coming offseason, since Sacramento has Bird rights for him):

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/2020/

So, to summarize, I was wrong on the first and right on the second and third.

Sorry for being mistaken on the first.

Yes... this is the kind of response I was hoping for!

So, on the first point: Yeah... the Suns are ahead of the Kings in the standings, they have been for most of the season, despite your rationalization, this is not a new state of affairs.

Secondly... you claimed they're "further ahead in their rebuild"... you attempt to justify this blither by saying they have better... depth? But at the same say time the Suns top 5 players clearly are far better? That is some real doublethink you've got going. Some end of bench players do not constitute a "rebuild". A team is built around a strong core, the Kings current "core" has one likely stud in Fox... then a decent starter in Hield and after that... not a lot that can not really be counted on at all in the future.

And finally third... bahahahaha! This is your gem!

These numbers also grossly overestimate the contract Hield is going to get

Hield already signed that extension. He did it months ago.

The 105 million the Kings are committed to does NOT count any cap holds, hence it being "committed".

The Kings, with their pick, have ZERO cap space, and that is before extending any of their players they hold rights to. They have huge sums of money tied up on long term, wildly over paid contracts. You were not only wrong about the third point but you were waaaaaaay off. Their cap is a disaster for a team in their state.

I am so thrilled that you are trying to rationalize and... either flat out lie or display some wild ignorance when you could just admit that you were wrong... or take the truth a step further and admit that your knee jerk reaction to any statement is to trash the Suns and assume the absolute worst.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Kings, with their pick, have ZERO cap space, and that is before extending any of their players they hold rights to. They have huge sums of money tied up on long term, wildly over paid contracts. You were not only wrong about the third point but you were waaaaaaay off. Their cap is a disaster for a team in their state.
This makes me wonder if Bogdan could be available as they may struggle to be able to afford to keep him next off season. He would be a restricted free agent and maybe they would be willing to part ways for an expiring and a protected pick.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This makes me wonder if Bogdan could be available as they may struggle to be able to afford to keep him next off season. He would be a restricted free agent and maybe they would be willing to part ways for an expiring and a protected pick.

Isn't Bogdan unhappy because he is not starting. Why would he want to re-sign in Phoenix and be stuck behind Booker?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bogdan reportedly turned down a 4 year $54 million dollar extension this past offseason, which was the max that Sacramento could offer. What they could offer was odd since he was a 1st round pick but not on a typical rookie scaled contract. He can receive a larger offer sheet than that in free agency and the Kings could match, or whoever he's playing for, but since came over later than the year he was drafted, Sacramento is capped out, and he signed a large 1st contract, his bird rights are a little different than normal "rookies".

There is some info on it in this article, LINK. He's a nice player but that's a lot of money to resign him. That would end the offseason for the Suns right then because his bird rights aren't normal veteran bird rights and signing him would take cap space.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
@1Sun And I have to say, your use of "cap holds" against the Suns, claiming it "projects them" to be 31 million over the cap, then defying any semblance of logic state...

Sacramento, on the other hand, has $105,317,658 in salaries committed for next season, but that includes $61,856,462 in cap holds for expiring deals.

You know, or should know, damn well that isn't how it works. The same logic you use to claim the Suns will be 31 million over the cap has the Kings 51 million over the cap and paying a massive luxury tax bill.

It is extremely two faced of you, some real cognitive dissonance.

You cannot admit you are wrong so you wildly distort the facts, as usual, in an effort to trash the Suns.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Isn't Bogdan unhappy because he is not starting. Why would he want to re-sign in Phoenix and be stuck behind Booker?
I mean he could choose to sign the QO and just play 1 more year. Otherwise whoever has his bird rights will have all the power as to whether he stays or goes.