Suns @ Celtics Saturday game thread 1-18-20

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay so props to the team. Kinda a let down to have this almost slip away when they have neither kemba nor Jaylen. But we didn’t have oubre (hardly their equivalent) and at least we didn’t lose.

big games by book and bridges!!!

mixed game by Ayton. We obviously don’t win this without him. Finally double digit free throws!!! And his rebounding was huge, particularly down the stretch. But man I watched the last 8 minutes of the 3rd through the end of the game and I saw him turn over the ball, play some dreadful no man’s land defense multiple times down the the court leading to 2 three pointers and a dunk and play some scared offense. He was afraid of contact. He should’ve ended up with 30-34 points and 4-6 more free throws if they were going to play physical but he kept shying away from contact and throwing up lousy shots down the stretch. The suns should’ve won this game going away. So like I said, mixed bag from the big guy imo. A far cry from the knicks domination, but a key contributor to a win in Boston. I’ll take it, for now.

They should have practice sessions where Ayton is forced to have contact with other players and get him used to it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They should have practice sessions where Ayton is forced to have contact with other players and get him used to it.

I thought that is why they brought in Baynes? To beat up on Ayton in practice. I wish teams were a little more open with their practices. All we've gotten this year is coach speak about how Ayton has been a beast in practice, which is finally showing in games halfway through the season. I'm not saying they should be publicize everything but perhaps allowing the beat reporters to talk about what they see a little more would be nice.

Of course the Suns current crop of beat reporters are about as good as the team is currently. That might be insulting the team though, even if they are 6 games below 500. I'm not a fan of Rankin or Mizell. Kellan Olson has been a bright spot but I'm not sure if he's actually a good reporter or just simply not a bad one. I really miss Bordow and Paul Coro.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Someone mentioned this to me:

DA put up at least 25/15 in back-to-back games. The only other player Since 2000 to do that within the first two years of their NBA career is:

Karl Anthony-Towns.

Last edited:

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What's up with Baynes?
Its like somebody stole his soul.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Have you ever seen Rubio bring the ball up the court slowly then stand out near mid-court and dribble out the first 15 seconds of the shot clock?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Need to see more video of Bridges shooting the ball. Swish... all net.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

What was different about Bridges last night was that he knew he was going to shoot the ball before he ever received it each time. He's been reminding me of Bender- he'd get the ball and he'd have to think about what he wanted to do. Last night, he knew he was going to shoot as soon as the ball was going in his direction. There was no hesitation, there was no thinking, there was no thinking. He just needs to keep this mindset. That's one thing I also like about Cam. He's struggled a bit after shooting 40%, but that's OK. He is confident. If Bridges can stay confident in his shot, he'll be a scary player.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was different about Bridges last night was that he knew he was going to shoot the ball before he ever received it each time. He's been reminding me of Bender- he'd get the ball and he'd have to think about what he wanted to do. Last night, he knew he was going to shoot as soon as the ball was going in his direction. There was no hesitation, there was no thinking, there was no thinking. He just needs to keep this mindset. That's one thing I also like about Cam. He's struggled a bit after shooting 40%, but that's OK. He is confident. If Bridges can stay confident in his shot, he'll be a scary player.

As you note, Cam needs to get where Bridges is right now, shooting the ball when he receives it. If Bridges has found his shooting stroke, big things are ahead. I do not see why Cam can't get there as well because his stroke is a thing of beauty.

It's interesting you mention Bender. He has the same problem although perhaps not the stroke.

Last edited:

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
So happy for Ayton and Bridges with these two last wins. Important for their progress and self confidence. They will have more games like this going forward, hopefully they will be somewhat consistent.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Need to see more video of Bridges shooting the ball. Swish... all net.

They simply found the perfect stretch of games to include. For instance in the last 10 games prior to last night he shot 25% from 3. If you include that entire stretch without last nights game it would be 35%. I suppose my point is that he is a low volume, streaky three point shooter that all in all has not shot the three well this year or even recently.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
What's up with Baynes?

Regression to the mean. He’s a 33-year-old player who had a hot 3-4 weeks. He is what he is: decent front court depth with no real strengths except for being a physical, high-energy reserve

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Regression to the mean. He’s a 33-year-old player who had a hot 3-4 weeks. He is what he is: decent front court depth with no real strengths except for being a physical, high-energy reserve

Except lately he has been neither physical nor high energy.

Trevor Ariza syndrome...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They simply found the perfect stretch of games to include. For instance in the last 10 games prior to last night he shot 25% from 3. If you include that entire stretch without last nights game it would be 35%. I suppose my point is that he is a low volume, streaky three point shooter that all in all has not shot the three well this year or even recently.

I wasn't looking at the stats so much as that beautiful shot.

If Bridges can regain the shooting form from his college days, I think he can put up consistent numbers. It almost seems like Bridge's shooting stroke has changed since then and he only now regaining his form.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I wasn't looking at the stats so much as that beautiful shot.

If Bridges can regain the shooting form from his college days, I think he can put up consistent numbers. It almost seems like Bridge's shooting stroke has changed since then and he only now regaining his form.
I thought I read an article that talked about how this offseason they worked on removing hitches in his shot but he still has one left but they’ll work to correct that in the offseason. Maybe the increased range from college to pro forced him to compensate?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I thought I read an article that talked about how this offseason they worked on removing hitches in his shot but he still has one left but they’ll work to correct that in the offseason. Maybe the increased range from college to pro forced him to compensate?
I wish players wouldn't compensate with their form. If you cant hit NBA threes with your college form than you need to work on your leg and arm strength and leave your form alone.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Suns appear to be trying to remove the remnants of a hitch. Maybe the increased range has something to do with it. Perhaps those who followed Bridges in college can speak more about his shooting form.

I did find this.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
What's up with Baynes?
Interesting that his hot streak started to fade about the same time the fires overwhelmed Australia.

Baynes has always been an NBA ambassador to his country and I wonder how much of this truly effecting him. I know he's been trying to raise money and help in any way he can.

I don't want to make excuses for the guy but his heart seems to be divided. I suppose I would have hard time too if I knew my country and family were going through such a devastating time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Interesting that his hot streak started to fade about the same time the fires overwhelmed Australia.

Baynes has always been an NBA ambassador to his country and I wonder how much of this truly effecting him. I know he's been trying to raise money and help in any way he can.

I don't want to make excuses for the guy but his heart seems to be divided. I suppose I would have hard time too if I knew my country and family were going through such a devastating time.

I guess it could be that, and if it is, I take back every bad thing I said about him.

The problem is that Baynes's fade in effort, heart, intensity and physicality also coincides with when the Suns' hot start ended...

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Have you ever seen Rubio bring the ball up the court slowly then stand out near mid-court and dribble out the first 15 seconds of the shot clock?
Only at the end of quarters when we're trying to get the last shot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave