Starting to warm to Simmons, but ...

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a pretty bold statement and I would love to hear some statistics that back it up.
Back it up? If you watch the teams mentioned you know that it is true. If you can't stop the TE to punish you, you will get worked all day. We at the moment can't stop a cars salesman that gets called upon to play TE, how you want to stop a team with an top tier TE? Yes Simmons might not be the best Runstopper, but for run stopping we should invest in FA on the DL and we have again Hicks that is a runstoper but a bad cover guy. And clearly we need somone that can stay with the TE and not hope that Hicks magically improves on covering.

you sure are obsessed with Haskins. Other than you, who ever mentions him?
I pointed out how Minshew had a better year than Murray.

Yes, Minshew had a better year than Haskins too. But what relevance is that? The Cardinals drafted Murray.

Really a threat about the #8 pick and you start with this nonsense just to get your disaprove and hatred out there? So, wait a minute, Minshew had 1 Td more but also 4 more turnovers(and it should be 6 since the 2 Fumbles accounted to KM aren't on him at all) same yard per attempt, around 4.4% less accuracy, less rushing yards, less rushing yards per attempt and officialy only started 2 games less so passing yards after 16 games would have been a wish wash. Oh and 4 rushing TD for Murray vs 0 by minshew what puts that 21:20 TD again in an other perspective (again after 16 games it would have probably been 24:7 vs 20:10 but 4rushing TD by KM to 0 by Minshew so basically 24:18 vs 24:12 (TD to Turnover). QBR 42.8 by Minshew(26th) vs 55.6 Murray (15th)

Oh and Minshew had the way easier schedule and the D allowed 3 points per game less. On the other hand our O scored 4 Pts/G more than the Jaguars per game... how did they win more games with a more loopsided point differential you might ask? Again strength of schedule.

Thanks for your bad take Cbus, your opinon that isn't backed up by the stats, is just that an opinon and nothing more, even if you think you have a point, you don't the only point you could have is that Minshew had an near as good season but still, with an easier schedule, many things are possible.

On the other hand, I have a question for you, would you mind to just leave the Cards if you hate the QB for as long as KM is the QB, you can return after KM is done. If it is like you say, he stays max another year or two...

But back to an other point, this was totally unneeded hijacking of a thread and try to rub the people on the wrong, just because you sir were and still are against Kyler Murray. You should be ashamed, for using a thread about the future pick, too spout another round of poision to divide the fans and poster here, we had enough chatter before the draft, after the draft, before the season, during the season and still after the season and you can stay in the dedicated threads and I would have accepted your opinion, but this posting is just pure provocation, unneeded, without a doubt very unsocial and for sure not what a cardinals fan should do on a forum. Very disapointed in such a unworthy behavoir.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love the potential of Simmons, but his success will be reliant on having the right DC. He has the ability to shut down quick slants, wr/rb screens and QB scrambles like no other player I have ever seen. He isn't worth a top ten pick for a team that does have a creative mind that can use his talents.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love the potential of Simmons, but his success will be reliant on having the right DC. He has the ability to shut down quick slants, wr/rb screens and QB scrambles like no other player I have ever seen. He isn't worth a top ten pick for a team that does have a creative mind that can use his talents.

In every sports a good coach should adapt any scheme to the personnel he has and not viceversa

And Simmons can do several things on the field(spying covering blitzing) and if a coach does not know that should be fired the day after

I think he is an unique prospect, a sort of tyran Mathieu 7inch taller

Last edited:

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In every sports a good coach should adapt any scheme to the personnel he has and not viceversa

And Simmons can do several things on the field(spying covering blitzing) and if a coach does not know that should be fired the day after

I think he is an unique prospect, a sort of tyran Mathieu 7inch taller

I would hope we would have a worthy DC, but the one we had last year wouldn't have utilized his talents enough to justify the pick. If we had Todd Bowles I would be all over him though!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Back it up? If you watch the teams mentioned you know that it is true. If you can't stop the TE to punish you, you will get worked all day. We at the moment can't stop a cars salesman that gets called upon to play TE, how you want to stop a team with an top tier TE? Yes Simmons might not be the best Runstopper, but for run stopping we should invest in FA on the DL and we have again Hicks that is a runstoper but a bad cover guy. And clearly we need somone that can stay with the TE and not hope that Hicks magically improves on covering.

Really a threat about the #8 pick and you start with this nonsense just to get your disaprove and hatred out there? So, wait a minute, Minshew had 1 Td more but also 4 more turnovers(and it should be 6 since the 2 Fumbles accounted to KM aren't on him at all) same yard per attempt, around 4.4% less accuracy, less rushing yards, less rushing yards per attempt and officialy only started 2 games less so passing yards after 16 games would have been a wish wash. Oh and 4 rushing TD for Murray vs 0 by minshew what puts that 21:20 TD again in an other perspective (again after 16 games it would have probably been 24:7 vs 20:10 but 4rushing TD by KM to 0 by Minshew so basically 24:18 vs 24:12 (TD to Turnover). QBR 42.8 by Minshew(26th) vs 55.6 Murray (15th)

Oh and Minshew had the way easier schedule and the D allowed 3 points per game less. On the other hand our O scored 4 Pts/G more than the Jaguars per game... how did they win more games with a more loopsided point differential you might ask? Again strength of schedule.

Thanks for your bad take Cbus, your opinon that isn't backed up by the stats, is just that an opinon and nothing more, even if you think you have a point, you don't the only point you could have is that Minshew had an near as good season but still, with an easier schedule, many things are possible.

On the other hand, I have a question for you, would you mind to just leave the Cards if you hate the QB for as long as KM is the QB, you can return after KM is done. If it is like you say, he stays max another year or two...

But back to an other point, this was totally unneeded hijacking of a thread and try to rub the people on the wrong, just because you sir were and still are against Kyler Murray. You should be ashamed, for using a thread about the future pick, too spout another round of poision to divide the fans and poster here, we had enough chatter before the draft, after the draft, before the season, during the season and still after the season and you can stay in the dedicated threads and I would have accepted your opinion, but this posting is just pure provocation, unneeded, without a doubt very unsocial and for sure not what a cardinals fan should do on a forum. Very disapointed in such a unworthy behavoir.
Wow. Relax.
You’re so misguided. Go back and show where I’ve blasted Murray. I’ve blasted Kingsbury plenty.
I only pointed out concerns with Murray and that I liked Haskins better.
In fact, I’ve said many times that I hope Murray is great.

Minshew did have a better year. As I said he had a better year than Haskins too. I would take both over him long term but the 1st year he was better. Who knows if that will keep up?

I venture to guess if the tables were reversed and Minshew was on the Cards and Murray on Jax, you’d be on here spouting what a great pick Gardner was.

Fact is Jax got a lot more value out of a 6 th rounder than the Cards did at 1.

in the future, I can pm you my posts to see if they’re pro cardinals and pro Murray to see if they have your approval to post on the main board.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow. Relax.
You’re so misguided. Go back and show where I’ve blasted Murray. I’ve blasted Kingsbury plenty.
I only pointed out concerns with Murray and that I liked Haskins better.
In fact, I’ve said many times that I hope Murray is great.

Minshew did have a better year. As I said he had a better year than Haskins too. I would take both over him long term but the 1st year he was better. Who knows if that will keep up?

I venture to guess if the tables were reversed and Minshew was on the Cards and Murray on Jax, you’d be on here spouting what a great pick Gardner was.

Fact is Jax got a lot more value out of a 6 th rounder than the Cards did at 1.

in the future, I can pm you my posts to see if they’re pro cardinals and pro Murray to see if they have your approval to post on the main board.
No you are telling no facts, I showed you with stats that Minshew had a "worse" year. Both had around the same year, only Minshew having worse % and worse QBR and way les rushing yards / total yards even if he would have had 16 games.

You are only making things up and you should still be ashamed, and no I call you out on a thread that never, ever should have been about Minshew vs Murray or anything alike.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No you are telling no facts, I showed you with stats that Minshew had a "worse" year. Both had around the same year, only Minshew having worse % and worse QBR and way les rushing yards / total yards even if he would have had 16 games.

You are only making things up and you should still be ashamed, and no I call you out on a thread that never, ever should have been about Minshew vs Murray or anything alike.
You know, except for the fact that Minshew had a better passer rating, more TDs, and less turnovers... but okay, Murray is the best ever and there's no debate. Put him in the ring of honor.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If not Simmons, what about Kenneth Murray from Oklahoma. I don’t know if #8 is the right spot but the athleticism is sorely needed.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes we have tunnel vision thinking the first pick is the one and only answer to problem.

Who’s to say there isn’t a RT or an inside linebacker can’t be found in the second or third round that may not turn out to be a 9 or a 9.5 but turns out to be a solid 8 or 8.5?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sometimes we have tunnel vision thinking the first pick is the one and only answer to problem.

Who’s to say there isn’t a RT or an inside linebacker can’t be found in the second or third round that may not turn out to be a 9 or a 9.5 but turns out to be a solid 8 or 8.5?

RT for sure, and if we dont go in with the plan of them moving to LT eventually...I think I would prefer some of the RT's later in the draft. As a pure RT, I don't think there is a huge difference between Wirfs and Niang...or something like that.

Now ILB is tough, because we really need someone at WILB that compliments Hicks. I think there are guys later that could bring a lot of what Hicks does, but very few with the Athleticism and speed that we sorely need. Simmons, Murray, and Dye are the only 3 that come to mind for me, although I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come up with more names.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RT for sure, and if we dont go in with the plan of them moving to LT eventually...I think I would prefer some of the RT's later in the draft. As a pure RT, I don't think there is a huge difference between Wirfs and Niang...or something like that.

Now ILB is tough, because we really need someone at WILB that compliments Hicks. I think there are guys later that could bring a lot of what Hicks does, but very few with the Athleticism and speed that we sorely need. Simmons, Murray, and Dye are the only 3 that come to mind for me, although I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come up with more names.
I also thinks Simmon , with all his versatility, can be a huge addition to us or any team that gets him. I don’t go along with VJ wouldn’t know how to use him. Alas, I don’t think Simmons makes it to #8.

But here’s a point. We had Josh Bynes who was calling defense and pretty stout against the run and sucked in coverage. He’s gone on to Baltimore and guess what? He’s playing very well but they take him out on 3rd downs. It’s back to tell me what a player CAN do and let’s work around and build on that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If not Simmons, what about Kenneth Murray from Oklahoma. I don’t know if #8 is the right spot but the athleticism is sorely needed.

Ken would be redundant with Hicks IMO. Good thumper, who is exposed in coverage.

That's my 2 cents.....

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

LSU has a pair of ILBs who i like:

Patrick Queen -- who really showed up in the Natl Champ game. 2nd round guy. 6-1 227 and can run

Jacob Phillips -- all around good player, bigger at 6-3. 4th rounder

other "rangy" kinds of run / cover ILBs, all tall, all 230 lbs or so:

Troy Dye of Oregon. 6-4 ive seen him mocked everywhere from late 1 to middle 4 or so.

Justin Strnad (spelled right)-- 6-3, Wake Forest. 5th round or so

and as a real flyer:

Charles Snowden, Virginia. 6-7 (!!) 235 lbs. 5-6th round

Finally:

a up-sized safety that is the small school version of Simmons:

Kyle Duggar of Lenoire-Ryhne. 6-2, 225 lbs. Fast. Team captain, QBd the defense. Played a LB/S role. Also returned kicks and RB for them. 5th rounder. (This player has Keim written all over him BTW)

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Agree, this is the area that other teams seem to find these guys except for the Cards. Our Guys for the most part me turn into 5.5 kinda of players

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ok, that is what I thought. It is your opinion that in order to win a Super Bowl you have to be good vs the TE. I thought you may have had an actual statistic to reinforce your statement.

I disagree with your opinion. I don't think you can be awful against the TE, or any other position grouping tbh, but I haven't seen any proof that you need to be great against it.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know, except for the fact that Minshew had a better passer rating, more TDs, and less turnovers... but okay, Murray is the best ever and there's no debate. Put him in the ring of honor.
You can't read solar7 or can you? do you read? No you don't, because he had more turnovers, QBR was worse had less TD because he run for none, less rushing yards worse completition% but yeah you are probably right Minshew is the next coming and was benched because Jacksonville didn't have any other option to do so. And you are always right, and you are so much better in adjusting and you know so much more about QB than anybody else in the league and therefor not Murray is the QB candidate but Minshew.

So just for god sake (and I don't belive in god but probably you) check the stats for real and don't spout out fake Facts? Thank you. And please, could you and your sorry ass other Murray haters, let this thread be about Simmons. Thank you again.

I myself wasn't a Murray lover at the beginning. Bt cbus, you and some other, make me feel that I have to start to ignore people, because they can't let it be. Let your hatred why ever you have one be on a Murray thread, and don't hijack every freaking thread and make it to a "Murray is so bad" "others are/were better" "he never will be..." "he never is..." "you are so in love with..."

Most of the forum aren't, there are facts and then there are some that love him way to much and others like you two that hate him way to much. But please, let the other Threads be about the topic. I don't know why they don't move all that nonsense to a Kyler murray thread and we could discuss the topic of the thread.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What was one of, if not the biggest complaint on this board this year concerning our defense? Every game people complained that we could not stop the tight end from making plays. Every game. smh.:soapbox:

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok, that is what I thought. It is your opinion that in order to win a Super Bowl you have to be good vs the TE. I thought you may have had an actual statistic to reinforce your statement.

I disagree with your opinion. I don't think you can be awful against the TE, or any other position grouping tbh, but I haven't seen any proof that you need to be great against it.

Yeah it is a belive with stats: basically for me the next decade to win a SB is to win against KC or similar teams, KC best Reciever? Travis Kelce 1229 yards (over 1000k yards in every year since 2016) if he has a 70 yards game you have a chance to win, if he scores 100+ on you, you are probably done. Titans had 943 yards on TE, Green Bay being more old school had only over 700 but on the playoff games theire 2nd reciever was Graham, 49ers top reciever? Kittle with over 1050 yards, overall around 1150 yards over TE, with 2 more games by Kittle 1200 yards just by Kittle wold have been normal, if he plays against us that one game probably even 1300 yards.

Rams have over 1100 yards at TE as well. Even Seattle changed in the playoffs and the TE was more focal even if Wilson wasn't really good to go.

So basically the top 4 Teams have a TE that can recieve. Titans are probably the team were a run stopping ILB is more valuable, but else even in our division, if you can't cover the TE you aren't going to win it.

And we need first to beat 49ers, Rams and Seattle and than you have to think about Green Bay and KC most of the next years.

So for me this is the way I see it, yes, but there are some stats, that back it up. Because even we had many first downs with a TE and I wouldn't be surprised if we really take a good TE in the draft, because that helps a QB now a days.