Right Knee Concerns for Hump ?

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
Offensive tackle D.J. Humphries

The Cardinals left tackle ended the season -- his option year -- without a contract extension. For a franchise that hadn't had much luck at left tackle and had its quarterback of the future on the roster, that's quite telling. Humphries, who has dealt with injuries throughout his career, comes with concerns about his oft-injured right knee. There are concerns in private that Humphries' knee is more damaged than the public has been led to believe, which will make the decision to re-sign him more difficult. -- Josh Weinfuss . . part of free agency article on ESPN

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Offensive tackle D.J. Humphries

The Cardinals left tackle ended the season -- his option year -- without a contract extension. For a franchise that hadn't had much luck at left tackle and had its quarterback of the future on the roster, that's quite telling. Humphries, who has dealt with injuries throughout his career, comes with concerns about his oft-injured right knee. There are concerns in private that Humphries' knee is more damaged than the public has been led to believe, which will make the decision to re-sign him more difficult. -- Josh Weinfuss . . part of free agency article on ESPN
Here we go
Maybe a strategy to have less suitors for him lowering his salary ambitions

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are planning to spend 15m for an OT this year he is not the only guy out there.

Sad part is that even at 10m per year Humphries is not a bargain if he can’t play.

after hashing this over I think I would target Castanzo. He’s 32 years old and we can groom his replacement by the time his contract ends.

Problem is the Colts have a ton of cap space and I doubt the Colts let him escape Indy. But if we’re spending 16M for an OT.....

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I have been very vocal about not signing Humphries to a big contract but to be fair, I don't remember him being on the injury report this year.

Wouldn't he be on it if he had a chronic bad knee?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He’s under control next year if we want him to be. It’s a lot of guaranteed money for a single season but we won’t be on overthecap trying to figure out which year we can cut him without taking a loss.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we are planning to spend 15m for an OT this year he is not the only guy out there.

Sad part is that even at 10m per year Humphries is not a bargain if he can’t play.

after hashing this over I think I would target Castanzo. He’s 32 years old and we can groom his replacement by the time his contract ends.

Problem is the Colts have a ton of cap space and I doubt the Colts let him escape Indy. But if we’re spending 16M for an OT.....

The problem is he's said he'd consider retiring if he doesn't stay with the Colts. Although I expect them to resign him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I read this the other day and meant to post it. Big concern, with this kind of money in the discussion. I just don't know what to do about it. I don't think Castonzo will come available, the rest of the OT choices are awful, and waiting until the draft ties our hands terribly. We could find ourselves in a situation where we need to trade up in the draft to secure our favorite prospect, and that would be enormously disappointing for a team desperately needing young talent.

This offseason has me so grumpy. I was looking forward to really improving the team knowing we'd have all of this space and such, but the more reality sets in on availability of players and the spots we need to resolve, the more I feel like this team is out of luck.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
thats from Josh Weinfuss at ESPN -- he has some out there reporting/ points of view from time to time

i havent read a hint of this from anyone else who covers the team

official team sources keep saying they want him back

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
thats from Josh Weinfuss at ESPN -- he has some out there reporting/ points of view from time to time

i havent read a hint of this from anyone else who covers the team

official team sources keep saying they want him back

I don’t trust anyone at ESPN anymore after the Arizona Basketball situation. This could all be speculation

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think we should transition tag Humphries. Let other teams make an offer and give us the chance to match it. If he gets a huge offer, good for him, we move onto plan B.

The more likely scenario is someone offers him 4 years/40 million because they don't trust his injury history but are not in a position to draft a starting LT. I would be SHOCKED if DJ actually commands 15 million or more per year on the open market.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think we should transition tag Humphries. Let other teams make an offer and give us the chance to match it. If he gets a huge offer, good for him, we move onto plan B.

The more likely scenario is someone offers him 4 years/40 million because they don't trust his injury history but are not in a position to draft a starting LT. I would be SHOCKED if DJ actually commands 15 million or more per year on the open market.
Someone will, because there's really not much out there. Supply and demand.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah...notice there is nothing concrete in the post by ESPN...just "sources" and "speculation". Don't believe too much that is reported by either side.

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I would let humphries go ASAP, he’s not as good as some think, imo. We need two top tier Oline to replace a couple not so talented ones, c’mon! Arizona Cardinals should be a super bowl team let’s build it!
Please

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's had multiple knee injuries going back to college. I think it's safe to say his knees aren't great.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's had multiple knee injuries going back to college. I think it's safe to say his knees aren't great.
Funny thing is, his strength at Florida was his run blocking, weakness was his pass blocking. Now it's flip flopped in the NFL, totally opposite.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny thing is, his strength at Florida was his run blocking, weakness was his pass blocking. Now it's flip flopped in the NFL, totally opposite.

It's been the same in the NFL until this year. His run blocking has always been better until this past year where it flipped. Maybe it was the scheme change or maybe more emphasis was put on pass pro in training with the rookie QB.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's been the same in the NFL until this year. His run blocking has always been better until this past year where it flipped. Maybe it was the scheme change or maybe more emphasis was put on pass pro in training with the rookie QB.
I kind of believe this offense is what kept Humphries healthy this yr. Have no concrete evidence, just a theory. Maybe just a coincidence? Just funny Humphries has been hurt his whole career in Arizona & now he plays a whole season injury free.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Not exactly. Did not Frank Gore have multiple knee surgeries and yet carved out one hell of a NFL career. I think it's safe to say if they are young and have a good doctor they might not be more at risk than another guy :)