Suns @ Knicks Thursday game thread 1-16-20

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You do realize that Sir Realist when pronounced quickly comes out as surrealist, don't you?

You must be registered for see images attach

:D

Double meaning. The level of incompetence from Suns management is indeed surreal.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the reality. DA's defense is better than his offense right now.

We would have rejoiced at that possibility last year.

His stats now compared with last year, which was a remarkable year for a rookie big man.

18-19, 19-20

rebounds: 10.3, 12
assists: 1.8, 1.8
turnovers: 1.8, 1.7
blocks: .9, 1.6
shooting: .585,.558
ft%: .746, .765

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

And that is with his offense being solid enough to at least average around 18+ PPG. The guy will probably be a completely dominant player within the next 2 years.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And that is with his offense being solid enough to at least average around 18+ PPG. The guy will probably be a completely dominant player within the next 2 years.
Gambo was on the radio about an hour ago saying that many of friends of his in the the NY media want the Knicks to go get "an Ayton."

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding overly positive, I think it's possible that Ricky's performance last night might not be an aberration. Hear me out: We know that he was certainly on a "high" because he just became a father a day ago. But for some players, a light just comes on and can stay on. That happened to Jason Kidd, where he was an abysmal shooter when he was with us but somehow when he got to Jersey, he started shooting well, especially from 3.

So we know that players can become better shooters and sustain it. For Rubio, it wasn't like yesterday he had a good breakfast and it made him dial-in. He played well after a major life change that isn't going away. I'm curious to see if this can sustain itself. I'm not holding out much hope, but I think it's possible. Being a father myself, I know how that fundamentally changes you immediately. Maybe it will have a positive effect on Ricky moving forward and for the rest of his career. Crossing fingers.

I might be imaging it but I think the arc on his 3 point shot has improved. His percentage is up over last year, although it is still subpar.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

His stats now compared with last year, which was a remarkable year for a rookie big man.

18-19, 19-20

rebounds: 10.3, 12
assists: 1.8, 1.8
turnovers: 1.8, 1.7
blocks: .9, 1.6
shooting: .585,.558
ft%: .746, .765

Yes I was just looking at this, his defense is better so far this year statistically but his offense is slightly worse.

I really wish they would force him the ball more inside - against a lot of teams nobody can guard him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes I was just looking at this, his defense is better so far this year statistically but his offense is slightly worse.

I really wish they would force him the ball more inside - against a lot of teams nobody can guard him.
More points, slightly worse efficiency. Plus it is improving.

Within the next 10 games we will be saying his offense has also improved over last year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s back to back impressive games for Ayton. Not declaring the light is on but at least it appears to be flickering.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I know most of the focus has been on Ayton for this discussion, which is justifiable. However, it wasn't just DeAndre that was locked in. The entire team was locked in. Cam was flying all over the place, Ricky was playing like Nash, Ayton was unstoppable, Book was... well Book. The chemistry was outstanding. The energy was through the roof. Which made this game look very similar to our first 10 games. But...

Go back exactly ONE game and you see the exact opposite. I spent most of the Atlanta game yelling at the TV. We had no energy, no cohesion, we refused to box out scrub players, played lazy on D, etc, etc. I left disgusted with our team play. I almost couldn't watch the Knicks game because of it. (THANK GOODNESS I did.)

Win and lose. Up and down. Ecstatic and disgusted.

Which goes back to what Monty said after the Grizzlies loss:

“Until we learn how to play the right way consistently, we’re just going to have a lot of nights like this. That’s the deal...
Until we learn how to play the right way consistently and follow a gameplan, we’re going to play well one night, then we’re gonna have nights like this...
Gonna play well one night, have nights like this. Gonna play well one night, have nights like this.
Until we learn how to play the right way and follow a gameplan consistently, we’re going to have these nights.”

Wise words from a thoughtful coach.

Yes, we are still in for a long bumpy ride. There's gonna be more games like Atlanta, there's gonna be more games like NY. But at least, FINALLY, there is a light shining at the end of the tunnel thanks to Jones and Monty.

We just got another solid glimpse of that light on Thursday.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rewatched some highlights with the Knicks announcers. They made several comments about Booker’s defense being much better this year. I wonder if this is generally acknowledged around the league now.

Also, they were much more hyped about the Rubio to Ayton half court oop than the Suns announcers were. Even the New York crowd cheered that one. That is one thing about New York crowds. They know a good basketball play when they see it and will give it props.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rewatched some highlights with the Knicks announcers. They made several comments about Booker’s defense being much better this year. I wonder if this is generally acknowledged around the league now.

Indeed. Booker has improved defensively from one of the worst in the league to merely below average (#191 in defensive rating)...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed. Booker has improved defensively from one of the worst in the league to merely below average (#191 in defensive rating)...

He can still improve, has shown that and everything else he is doing more than makes up for it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He can still improve, has shown that and everything else he is doing more than makes up for it.

I agree with the second part, but not the first. I think he has already improved defensively as much as he can, and the solution is to surround him with capable defenders, particularly in terms of weakside help at power forward.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Booker is 2nd on the team in DFG% and DIFF%. He has been a pretty disruptive defender this year and stats like DRAT don't really show the whole picture because he doesn't rack up a lot of counting stats on defense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker is 2nd on the team in DFG% and DIFF%. He has been a pretty disruptive defender this year and stats like DRAT don't really show the whole picture because he doesn't rack up a lot of counting stats on defense.

Where is he in the NBA? Ranking on the team might be misleading considering our team is extremely poor defensively.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Where is he in the NBA? Ranking on the team might be misleading considering our team is extremely poor defensively.
He is 52nd and 55th (respectively) among 135 qualified guards. That would put him in at least the slightly above average range.

As to DRat, I was off when talking about counting stats as DRat is simply the points per 100 possessions that your team gives up while you are on the floor. That is an even worse metric to use to determine someones individual defensive impact as it doesn't factor in the teammates they are on the floor with.

While Booker has been a part of some of the worst defensive lineups this year , he has also been a part of some of the best as well. For instance when Booker and Ayton are sharing the court together they have the 3rd best defensive rating for any duo on the team. While I'm not about to argue for Booker making an all defense team or anything I will say that his jump this year is very real and it's not just from bad to below average.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the second part, but not the first. I think he has already improved defensively as much as he can, and the solution is to surround him with capable defenders, particularly in terms of weakside help at power forward.

What indication is there that he has improved as much as he can? He improved this year on both sides of the ball. He has shown the ability to improve. What evidence do you have he has reached his ceiling on either side of the ball? He is playing at an all-star level and still young (23). Huh???

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What indication is there that he has improved as much as he can? He improved this year on both sides of the ball. He has shown the ability to improve. What evidence do you have he has reached his ceiling on either side of the ball? He is playing at an all-star level and still young (23). Huh???

He has physical limitations that keep him from being able to defend better than he is right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA