Run for Your Life

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AJ Green might be done. He hasn't played in a long time and receivers generally go from 80 catches a year to struggling to get 20 catches around his age.

Maybe you and Keim have some mind meld going on, because signing AJ Green would be the most Keimian thing ever LOL

I like AJ but I'm not sure the Bengals let him go if they are drafting Burrow. That seems short sighted.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
AJ Green might be done. He hasn't played in a long time and receivers generally go from 80 catches a year to struggling to get 20 catches around his age.

Maybe you and Keim have some mind meld going on, because signing AJ Green would be the most Keimian thing ever LOL
You sign A.J. Green and he gives you an immediate proven outside presence, for a year or two. In that time, you can decide whether our diapered dynamos are worth anything and start to make decisions to get rid of them. Right now is too early to cut ties but too early to count on them. I just can't fathom having all of these mediocre to useless WRs on your roster and then counting on another unknown.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I like AJ but I'm not sure the Bengals let him go if they are drafting Burrow. That seems short sighted.
He's a free agent, Boyd is already getting paid, and their other WRs were pretty freaking good last year. I don't think Green would even want to go back for a rebuild.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've watched a bunch of Lamb. He doesn't do it for me and he has a fraction of the NFL catches I'd like to see from a top 20 pick.

Regarding your comments on tackles physical development all 3 top tackles are huge, powerful dudes. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3 were an upgrade in that department.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You don't see NFL catches? Quite a few in this reel. How much college football do you watch over there in the UK? I'd suspect based on your comment not much, because college receivers generally are running wide open a lot in college nowadays. Not trying to be snarky, I just don't see how you can make this claim, when one of the most impressive things I noted was that he made a number of contested catches. Even watching Chase from LSU, he still largely didn't have a ton of contested catches.

When I watch Lamb, I see a Deandre Hopkins clone. Not a a super big guy, not super fast, but has a nice blend of everything.

I think you are probably correct that the 3 top tackles are fairly well developed coming out, but you'll never convince me that letting Humphries walk makes the OL better next year. If you add Wirfs and resign Humphries or Wills and resign Humphries, there is a real chance the OL takes a strong leap forward.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You sign A.J. Green and he gives you an immediate proven outside presence, for a year or two. In that time, you can decide whether our diapered dynamos are worth anything and start to make decisions to get rid of them. Right now is too early to cut ties but too early to count on them. I just can't fathom having all of these mediocre to useless WRs on your roster and then counting on another unknown.

That's assuming he is still a good player. 34 year old receivers are generally NOT good.

Keim has created such a mess.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You don't see NFL catches? Quite a few in this reel. How much college football do you watch over there in the UK? I'd suspect based on your comment not much, because college receivers generally are running wide open a lot in college nowadays. Not trying to be snarky, I just don't see how you can make this claim, when one of the most impressive things I noted was that he made a number of contested catches. Even watching Chase from LSU, he still largely didn't have a ton of contested catches.

When I watch Lamb, I see a Deandre Hopkins clone. Not a a super big guy, not super fast, but has a nice blend of everything.

I think you are probably correct that the 3 top tackles are fairly well developed coming out, but you'll never convince me that letting Humphries walk makes the OL better next year. If you add Wirfs and resign Humphries or Wills and resign Humphries, there is a real chance the OL takes a strong leap forward.

I got bored at 2:40 by which point he had 3 catches in close coverage all against bad coverage where the CB didn't even get thier head round for the ball.

He's nothing like Hopkins. Thier tape couldn't be more different for me. I watched Hopkins last year Clemson highlights the other day and it's nothing alike.

I don't like him. You do. I'm probably wrong.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's a free agent, Boyd is already getting paid, and their other WRs were pretty freaking good last year. I don't think Green would even want to go back for a rebuild.

I know he's FA and that he's said he wants to be like Larry and stay with the Bungals his whole career. I don't know if that's changed after this past season though.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That's assuming he is still a good player. 34 year old receivers are generally NOT good.

Keim has created such a mess.
He's 32.

I know he's FA and that he's said he wants to be like Larry and stay with the Bungals his whole career. I don't know if that's changed after this past season though.
Last year it looked like he was healthy enough to come back and ended up mysteriously having setbacks. I think it's a pretty good sign that it's because he's not planning on playing for them again.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He's 32.

Last year it looked like he was healthy enough to come back and ended up mysteriously having setbacks. I think it's a pretty good sign that it's because he's not planning on playing for them again.

Right....but that doesn't address whether AJ Green or if he is the corpse of AJ Green.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Right....but that doesn't address whether AJ Green or if he is the corpse of AJ Green.
Yep. And I think after a full season to get that foot right, he'll still be enough of AJ Green to contribute while we clean up the mess behind him. We could still potentially take another WR in the 2nd/3rd that has size and cut ties with any of 2019's rookie WRs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me insane all you want, but I envision a WR room full of kids who have no clue what they're doing and are all mediocre players. Kirk's good, but not capable of doing what we need on the outside. If Isabella blooms, I'll be shocked. The other two are just guys until proven otherwise.

Do we solve that by bringing in another rookie? A bunch of guys stumbling around trying to figure it out? Fitz is around, but having a corps behind him of kids with a second year QB throwing to them just doesn't feel right in my gut. I can't wait until CeeDee Lamb shows he's not big enough to play on the outside and gets made a fool of when he isn't schemed into 6-7 yards of separation on a bad defense.

Gonna keep caveating - this is nothing like how I felt last year about guys. I think Lamb and Jeudy are going to be very good players over time. I don't think they're the solution to our current problem.

That's why I prefer Jeudy to Lamb. I realize both were routinely against overmatched defenses but there isn't a guy in college, draftable that i've seen, that runs routes like Jeudy does. He's one of those guys who can get open in a phone booth, it's hysterical to watch him it's like a guard in basketball breaking ankles on crossovers he legitimately makes guys fall over at times with his routes.

I get the connection with Lamb and I don't discount it, I just think Jeudy is probably faster(we'll know when they run) and definitely runs better routes.

I'll be happy with either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why I prefer Jeudy to Lamb. I realize both were routinely against overmatched defenses but there isn't a guy in college, draftable that i've seen, that runs routes like Jeudy does. He's one of those guys who can get open in a phone booth, it's hysterical to watch him it's like a guard in basketball breaking ankles on crossovers he legitimately makes guys fall over at times with his routes.

I get the connection with Lamb and I don't discount it, I just think Jeudy is probably faster(we'll know when they run) and definitely runs better routes.

I'll be happy with either.

Jeudy >>>>>>>>>> Lamb

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already stated I like A.J. Green. And no, I don't think Lamb or Jeudy "over time" are worth it. Unlike others, I think this is a make or break year for a Keim and KK, and so 600 yards or so from one of these guys means our offense pretty much stays the same as last year, while we will have ignored a major hole elsewhere.

A WR pick is a luxury where we stand today, with 8 starters or so needed. I'll certainly revisit my thoughts on WR if we've filled LT, RT, C, DE x2, OLB, ILB, and RB by the time the draft is coming around. Or at least 6-7 of the 8 with the notion that the remaining starters will be addressed in the top 3 rounds of the draft.
Talk about taking chances? You’re happy with an aging wide receiver with a foot problem who just missed the whole year. That’s like putting a peice of gum on a tire losing pressure hoping you’ll make it to the next gas station. No thanks.
God I can’t believe how you and I differ on so many things.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. And I think after a full season to get that foot right, he'll still be enough of AJ Green to contribute while we clean up the mess behind him. We could still potentially take another WR in the 2nd/3rd that has size and cut ties with any of 2019's rookie WRs.
Sure. And when/if he breaks down again we will all be hanging Keim out to dry for doing so.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sa
Yes. With a foot problem that caused him to miss an entire season.

and then we blast Keim for signing a player who’s coming back from injuries.

I'm not saying sign him, just he's not 34 :)

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I've been pounding the podium for trench players for ever and now you have me thinking WR is the way to go. What if Lamb goes before us do you go for Jeudy?
He’s a great route runner, but he doesn’t excite me enough to take him early. I’d wait and take a WR later if at all. I think he’ll be a fine receiver for someone.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
@Harry, I'm sure I might be the target of the "run for your life" concept presented... but this is a great writeup. As far as I know from your posts, you've coached, you've scouted, and have scouting connections. So, I'll admit I might be wrong.

Wirfs would be a great pick to lock down RT. Kyler & Lamb is tantalizing. But the best teams in this league seem to be able to block for their QBs and RBs. I just can't feel comfortable watching Kyler peel out in a panic every time the ball is snapped. It's hurting his footwork, he's trying to extend plays... he's skittish back there. I think we look at the numbers and try to feel okay about it, but the truth is, this line is bad.

Things can change in free agency.
I’m wrong all the time. Keep pitching. I wasn’t targeting you. I’ve seen this often.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Jeudy >>>>>>>>>> Lamb

I'm a UT ex and seen my share of the Big XII, so Lamb looks great when being viewed from my proverbial backyard of attention but if Jeudy is there, the guy folks at Bama are touting him as better than Julio Jones (he just has to be close, because I do not believe that self school endorsement), you take the premier WR from an elite school in the SEC

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Lamb has some Hopkins in him in the sense that he’s good at everything but Hopkins was 215 lbs at the combine. DeAndre Hopkins at 195 isn’t DeAndre Hopkins.

I used to want Jerry Juedy but I don’t want a receiver at all at #8. Look at the trenches of the 4 teams remaining... That’s the core of their success (with the exception of KC but Mahomes is that good).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lamb has some Hopkins in him in the sense that he’s good at everything but Hopkins was 215 lbs at the combine. DeAndre Hopkins at 195 isn’t DeAndre Hopkins.

I used to want Jerry Juedy but I don’t want a receiver at all at #8. Look at the trenches of the 4 teams remaining... That’s the core of their success (with the exception of KC but Mahomes is that good).

I'm talking about playing style.

According to unofficial Lamb is taller.