Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because YPC isn't a truly consistent stat and can be ramped up by one long run? Dude breaks one long 80 yard run and it messes with everything because he's normally running for 2.7 (just taking a stab here, not a true stat). It's like Tim Hightower having a 8.2 YPC in the 2009 playoffs. He only had 13 carries, but hey, one was huge! The rest sucked.
Except Drake has a big enough of sample to go by it.

3 of 5 seasons that has had 120+ carries, he has averaged a good 4.5 YPC.

Leonard Fournette in his rookie year averaged 3.9 YPC, but hey at least he got 1K yards.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you consider reasonable. I only want him back if he is dirt cheap. I don't believe he is very good, and this team has other holes and priorities. Can't spend over $20m at RB.
Okay so you WANT him back at reasonable price correct? By the way even the great Derrick Henry only had 490 yds. and 744 yards in his first two years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Except Drake has a big enough of sample to go by it.

3 of 5 seasons that has had 120+ carries, he has averaged a good 4.5 YPC.

Leonard Fournette in his rookie year averaged 3.9 YPC, but hey at least he got 1K yards.
I wouldn't be banging my shoe on the table to acquire Fournette, but yeah, at least his team used him and he showed up to play. I guess since Chase Edmonds had a better YPC than Kenyan Drake in 2019, he should be the starter and get re-signed to a big deal, right?

Everything about this player screams "total waste of money" to me. The best game of this dude's career didn't come until four years in, just in time to get paid. There's a reason he was dumped for a conditional late round pick and was available in the first place.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't be banging my shoe on the table to acquire Fournette, but yeah, at least his team used him and he showed up to play. I guess since Chase Edmonds had a better YPC than Kenyan Drake in 2019, he should be the starter and get re-signed to a big deal, right?

Everything about this player screams "total waste of money" to me. The best game of this dude's career didn't come until four years in, just in time to get paid. There's a reason he was dumped for a conditional late round pick and was available in the first place.
Does sample size not matter to you?
I literally just said KD had a good sample size to go by unlike Chase.

There’s also a reason that every high-profile player that doesn’t play for Gase anymore has had the best years of their career so far. Tannehill, Parker, Landry, Tunsil, & now Drake.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Okay so you WANT him back at reasonable price correct? By the way even the great Derrick Henry only had 490 yds. and 744 yards in his first two years.
I barely want him back. I would lean towards no for almost anything but a super cheap two-year deal.

I wouldn't sign Derrick Henry either. You're the one who brought him up and called out his bad games, ignoring that most of his games were great. Drake's games were mostly bad.

Let's not forget how much RBs on their second contract decline. We just saw it with David Johnson.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because YPC isn't a truly consistent stat and can be ramped up by one long run? Dude breaks one long 80 yard run and it messes with everything because he's normally running for 2.7 (just taking a stab here, not a true stat). It's like Tim Hightower having a 8.2 YPC in the 2009 playoffs. He only had 13 carries, but hey, one was huge! The rest sucked.

There once-upon-a-time was a RB in Detroit who's career was largely stuffed, loss... 20, 30, 40 etc.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Drake's best option is to stay in AZ and work with the team on a good team friendly deal.

If he doesn't? Let him walk.

This team is not competing for anything next year, I do not see the value in re-signing him to big dollars.

I would not have an issue with Chase Edmonds starting next season.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Does sample size not matter to you?
I literally just said KD had a good sample size to go by unlike Chase.

There’s also a reason that every high-profile player that doesn’t play for Gase anymore has had the best years of their career so far. Tannehill, Parker, Landry, Tunsil, & now Drake.
Drake had 7 games in Miami without Gase and still was pedestrian. Landry is pretty damn debatable, catching over 100 balls in Miami twice, along with just about as many yards as he had this year twice. Plus better TD production.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I just think Solar doesn’t even know what he wants.
I know what I want, and it's to spend our free agent money on a new starting RT, an OLB, an ILB, and two defensive ends before we even think about anything else. I especially do not think Drake is worth paying over filling one of those positions so a 3rd or 4th round pick has to start at one of them.

There once-upon-a-time was a RB in Detroit who's career was largely stuffed, loss... 20, 30, 40 etc.
Yes, let's compare Kenyan Drake to Barry Sanders. Sensible comparison. Totally the same guy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I barely want him back. I would lean towards no for almost anything but a super cheap two-year deal.

I wouldn't sign Derrick Henry either. You're the one who brought him up and called out his bad games, ignoring that most of his games were great. Drake's games were mostly bad.

Let's not forget how much RBs on their second contract decline. We just saw it with David Johnson.
Okay. Well you see it as easily replaceable. I see him as a value on this team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Okay. Well you see it as easily replaceable. I see him as a value on this team.
Keep in mind, I would bring him back if I felt we had the money to do so and not be extremely hurt at another position.

I think posters here keep forgetting how few guys we have signed. Not only are many of our starters gone, their backups are gone too. This isn't the best offense for DJ, and it's a shame we're stuck with him. If we could get away from his contract, I wouldn't complain about Drake.

But I think Drake's at his absolute best somewhere between a 14-17 ranked RB if he picks his game up. Not paying for that.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Nobody is going to break the bank with Drake, nor should they. I'd give him something similar to what Tevin Coleman got with SF last year. 2 years 8.5/mill and that would be the max.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drake had 7 games in Miami without Gase and still was pedestrian. Landry is pretty damn debatable, catching over 100 balls in Miami twice, along with just about as many yards as he had this year twice. Plus better TD production.

Ryan Tannehill was given up on by Miami. On Sunday he is a game away from leading his new team to the Super Bowl.

Hard to judge anyone coming from Miami based on how bad Miami has been.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Landry set career highs in yards & YPR, which means more to me than just 20000 catches if they were only 3 yards downfield. He was basically a glorified scat-back in Miami.

Minkah was also pretty pedestrian than turned into a DPOY candidate once he got to Pittsburgh. KD’s performance in Miami this season means nothing to me.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Landry set career highs in yards & YPR, which means more to me than just 20000 catches if they were only 3 yards downfield. He was basically a glorified scat-back in Miami.

Minkah was also pretty pedestrian than turned into a DPOY candidate once he got to Pittsburgh. KD’s performance in Miami this season means nothing to me.
Just because he's been utilized differently doesn't make him better than he was. He had 9 TDs in one year under Gase, and two years of only 50 yards less of production.

I'll take the guy moving the chains and scoring TDs instead of the guy who got free on a couple long ones but still failed to score.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would rather spend a 2nd round pick on Dobbins than give Drake a big contract.

spending big money on a RB is pointless. We just saw that with Johnson.
Zeke got paid =down year
Leveon got paid = down year
DJ got paid= down year
Gurley got paid= down year.

be smart.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Ding ding ding :clapping:
I would rather spend a 2nd round pick on Dobbins than give Drake a big contract.

Zeke got paid =down year
DJ got paid= down year

be smart.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zeke got paid =down year
DJ got paid= down year

be smart.
Nobody is saying to sign him to a contract anywhere near those guys.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep watch on what the 49ers do at RB in the offseason. Would anybody take a chance on Mckinnon or is he done?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what I want, and it's to spend our free agent money on a new starting RT, an OLB, an ILB, and two defensive ends before we even think about anything else. I especially do not think Drake is worth paying over filling one of those positions so a 3rd or 4th round pick has to start at one of them.

Yes, let's compare Kenyan Drake to Barry Sanders. Sensible comparison. Totally the same guy.
You haven’t mention LT. The idea is to fill holes in the roster, not create holes to fill others.

Again I believe continuity and familiarity are huge factors. If we keep this offense intact there is reason believe those two factors will lead to an improvement in play and execution.

I too think we need a DE, ILB and OLB. We will not be able to fill all three positions with ‘splash’ players. However, I think we may be able to grab 1 splash player and one , maybe two, solid players. Maybe we have to live with the Reddick OLB experiment or maybe a Vic Beasley and let them fight it out. Or maybe Marsh gets a shot.

so if we fill those deficiencies on defense and draft Lamb I can live with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA