Suns @ Knicks Thursday game thread 1-16-20

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
THAT'S the guy I dreamed of summer 2018. People keep talking about how "raw" Ayton is but the truth is... he's incredibly talented already with spin moves, turnarounds, jump shot. He just needs to channel the POWER into his game and he could be that guy who made me idiotically rail against drafting Doncic over him.

Build on this!
That would be great! Tonight vs. the Knicks gave an inkling of how it would look.

The next few games will show us if that will be the case.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Just finished watching the game, and I am so happy right now! I just knew that Ayton's breakout game was coming. 26 points on 11/15 shooting, 21 rebounds, and a couple of blocks and assists. He flat-out dominated the paint tonight on both ends of the floor. I am telling you guys, this kid is going to be good. Tonight was a huge step for him- he needed this game just to see how good he can be. I honestly don't think he realizes how big, strong, quick, long, and athletic he is. I hope Monty makes him watch this game on tape over and over and over again.
We certainly don't expect 20-20 games to become the norm. The Knicks are hardly a good NBA team.

But the style with which Ayton played tonight is what we need on a regular basis.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Knicks haven’t been completely awful since Fizdale was fired. Randle, Payton, Robinson and Morris are all solid. I’ve always liked Randle but idk why he’s shooting so many 3’s. He’s one of those guys we thought would be a bad fit with Ayton because of defensive deficiencies but skilled guys who play hard are good fits regardless of their flaws.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the Suns looked horrible in every way in the 1st quarter. fortunately so did NY (true to form)

they are winning at twice the rate of last year
so i think the roster has improved as well as the coach
but their confidence has been rocked by some brutal beatings and hot players
-- they are sloppy and reluctant double-teamers, slow on covering the 3 ball,
and, except for Oubre & Baynes, too generous to opponents in the paint
the coach needs to work on that stuff

Ayton's success tonight didn't prove anything about his heart
but it sure seems that if you give him 35 minutes he manages to easily manage a double double
the intrigue remains -- what could he do if he was actually aggressive all game?
there is no indication that will ever happen
but i'm willing to wait to see how his confidence level might change things
and, on a related note, i'm still waiting for him to take that open 3 point shot

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We certainly don't expect 20-20 games to become the norm. The Knicks are hardly a good NBA team.

But the style with which Ayton played tonight is what we need on a regular basis.

The Knicks do have a beefy front court though. Gibson, Randall, Portis, Robinson... all these guys are well thought of, Robinson is considered an up and coming defensive big. Ayton made them look like hot garbage tonight.

Whatever fueled Ayton's fire, I hope we know how to keep it kindled.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Great reel of Ayton's night. Shows his good and bad moments. It's overwhelmingly good, he played a great game. But even so, there were still 3 or 4 plays where he got the ball about 10 feet out and he took a wimpy shot, granted, there were also times where he was in the same spot and he actually went in and attacked the post. (Gotta note, almost all his wimpy shot attempts were in the 1st half, when he really got rolling he was going straight at the rim).

The shot that particularly bugged me is when he gets blocked on a jumper, he pump faked, juked his defender out of his shoes, had a WIDE open path to the net for a dunk and he hesitated, went for a jumper anyway and got blocked.

He's getting better, he is getting more aggressive. If they can get him more involved, get him in more plays where his momentum is carrying him towards the hoop... we will have a monster center on our hands.

What is wild is that we are now worried about his offense. Who would have thought..? Defensively he has been rock solid this year. Somehow it is his offensive efficiency that has us worried. Basically the exact opposite of his pre-draft resume.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't worry about is Ayton's offense. It will come.

He has a sweet outside shot and will get more than his share of baskets at the rim. When he masters getting to the free throw line, he will be an unstoppable offensive machine.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting tidbit.

Julie Fie‏ @suns_jfie

Deandre Ayton (21 years, 177 days) is the youngest player in NBA history to record 25+ points and 20+ rebounds at any of the Madison Square Gardens. Previous Youngest: Hakeem Olajuwon (22 years, 24 days) on 02/14/1985. #RisePHX
You must be registered for see images attach

8:03 PM - 16 Jan 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This tweet shows the half court lob by Rubio to Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ah. I love the ignore function, except that I feel like I am missing out on half the conversation.

I put a ton of people on “ignore” the past two weeks. Didn’t realize it would decimate the conversation to an echo chamber, but this is where we are as a fan base

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lessons from this game.

1. When Rubio shoots well, everything opens up. But we know his shooting in this game is an aberration.
2. Oubre might be taking looks away from DA. If you want DA to be an offensive presence, you have to run the offense through him often.
3. DA is a monster rebounder. Most of the best rebounders in history have been instinctive rebounders, not necessarily position rebounders (Marion, Rodman etc). I am OK with DA being and instinctive rebounder. It really makes a difference on offense. He turns misses into scores.
4. DA's dominance in this game was not by doing things we did not know he could do, but rather by doing aggressively what we all know he can do. It is one game. Consistency is the difference between NBA scrubs and stars.
5. We have now come to expect great games from Book. We take them for granted now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding overly positive, I think it's possible that Ricky's performance last night might not be an aberration. Hear me out: We know that he was certainly on a "high" because he just became a father a day ago. But for some players, a light just comes on and can stay on. That happened to Jason Kidd, where he was an abysmal shooter when he was with us but somehow when he got to Jersey, he started shooting well, especially from 3.

So we know that players can become better shooters and sustain it. For Rubio, it wasn't like yesterday he had a good breakfast and it made him dial-in. He played well after a major life change that isn't going away. I'm curious to see if this can sustain itself. I'm not holding out much hope, but I think it's possible. Being a father myself, I know how that fundamentally changes you immediately. Maybe it will have a positive effect on Ricky moving forward and for the rest of his career. Crossing fingers.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding overly positive, I think it's possible that Ricky's performance last night might not be an aberration. Hear me out: We know that he was certainly on a "high" because he just became a father a day ago. But for some players, a light just comes on and can stay on. That happened to Jason Kidd, where he was an abysmal shooter when he was with us but somehow when he got to Jersey, he started shooting well, especially from 3.

So we know that players can become better shooters and sustain it. For Rubio, it wasn't like yesterday he had a good breakfast and it made him dial-in. He played well after a major life change that isn't going away. I'm curious to see if this can sustain itself. I'm not holding out much hope, but I think it's possible. Being a father myself, I know how that fundamentally changes you immediately. Maybe it will have a positive effect on Ricky moving forward and for the rest of his career. Crossing fingers.
It's still an aberration until he proves otherwise with consistent performances like this one. It's not like having a kid can somehow fix your jump-shot.

Also it's not like Kidd suddenly became a better shooter simply because of a life change. He worked hard on it and probably got with a different shooting coach which created results.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice win by suns and swept knicks atleast lol

Good to see ayton have a monster gm hope he doesn't get tested again... just jkin

Also Rubio amd booker both balling is nice

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score

It looked like Rubio had better arc on his shot. Wasn’t so flat. Would love to see him hit more mid range shots because it sure did open everything up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And yes, you sound overly positive. Rubio is historically a very poor shooter. I have to give him credit, he still puts the shots up when he is left open, which is something he has to do. It is POSSIBLE for his shooting to improve, but not likely. We would have to see more than this one game to start even slightly hoping it has.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave