Suns updates and discussion for the 2019-20 season

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
his 6.2 rebounds IS his average, so how do you say "second worst" of career???

his points are down but his minutes are down, fg% is near average, 3pt percentage is down on career average. He's down 2 points from his career average.

He's doing okay but he shouldn't be starting, that's not on him. He's not really to blame for all our woes.
-- Check the chart. His previous rebounding stats were 6.3, 6.7, 5.6 and, this season, 6.2. Close, but only the 5.6 was worse.
A player who doesn't improve when he is handed the starting job is a disappointment.

-- Saric's minutes are down because he hasn't lived up to being an NBA starter. As I posted about Ayton, their low playing time
is not an alibi. It reflects their inability to be there when the team needs them, for whatever reason.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-- Check the chart. His previous rebounding stats were 6.3, 6.7, 5.6 and, this season, 6.2. Close, but only the 5.6 was worse.
A player who doesn't improve when he is handed the starting job is a disappointment.

-- Saric's minutes are down because he hasn't lived up to being an NBA starter. As I posted about Ayton, their low playing time
is not an alibi. It reflects their inability to be there when the team needs them, for whatever reason.

Man...I said I didn't like the acquisition of Saric at the time and I was getting ripped here. I said he wasn't a physical enough PF, would be another play below the rim PF that couldn't fill our need. I was hoping I was wrong but he isn't much help on this roster.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Saric a nice player but probably wont be resigned and Suns moved back in the draft to get him on an expiring deal, terrible move

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric a nice player but probably wont be resigned and Suns moved back in the draft to get him on an expiring deal, terrible move

Compounded by them then picking at the lower draft pick a guy who will be out of the league before his rookie contract is up.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A soft 10/6 guy is a "nice" PF??! The team gets killed on the boards and some games go stretches with few second chance points.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A soft 10/6 guy is a "nice" PF??! The team gets killed on the boards and some games go stretches with few second chance points.

Not to mention he can't get more than an inch off the floor, has the slowest foot speed I have ever seen and is as soft as Charmin...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps a bit like Channing Frye in that he can stretch the court. Saric has value but the Suns cannot afford the luxury with no interior defense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Perhaps a bit like Channing Frye in that he can stretch the court. Saric has value but the Suns cannot afford the luxury with no interior defense.

More like Dan Langhi or Nikoloz Tsikitishvili...

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Just a few months ago we were fantasizing about the possibility of landing Zion and Jah was our consolation prize. Instead we ended up with Cam Johnson and Dario Saric. That fall in the draft really put us back. Jah would have been perfect next to Booker.

It's tough to look back on the last 5 or so drafts. All of that losing and all we have to show for it is Booker and a paper tiger thus far with Ayton. It's really astounding.
It's really too bad that the lottery changes couldn't wait one more year...

If it had we would have had a much more solid chance of landing in the top 2. Even if we ended up like 3 or 4 we would likely be in a better spot with someone like Garland.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Channing was pretty solid 1 on 1 vs other bigs on defense and was a very good 3 point shooter. I would take 2013 Frye over current Saric in a heartbeat.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No - Ayton is clearly the best option, he has wildly outplayed Baynes as of late.

The reason for him coming off the bench in my estimation is to give the bench some scoring punch which it is very much lacking.

This idea Ayton should be pissed because he is not the starter is incredibly stupid to me - Dumb people think like that - what matters is who is getting the most minutes, and who is finishing the games.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
No - Ayton is clearly the best option, he has wildly outplayed Baynes as of late.

The reason for him coming off the bench in my estimation is to give the bench some scoring punch which it is very much lacking.

This idea Ayton should be pissed because he is not the starter is incredibly stupid to me - Dumb people think like that - what matters is who is getting the most minutes, and who is finishing the games.
I would argue that coming off the bench can help him to get in rhythm better as he will play his early minutes against the other team's bench. Then he is more likely to be both in better rhythm and less tired at the end of the game. I don't see it as any sort of long term plan, but it could be good until he is fully back in game shape.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I would argue that coming off the bench can help him to get in rhythm better as he will play his early minutes against the other team's bench. Then he is more likely to be both in better rhythm and less tired at the end of the game. I don't see it as any sort of long term plan, but it could be good until he is fully back in game shape.
This is the best explanation.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Channing was pretty solid 1 on 1 vs other bigs on defense and was a very good 3 point shooter. I would take 2013 Frye over current Saric in a heartbeat.

A younger Channing Frye for sure.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frye was a decent player for a while there, but his sputtering confidence in his shot would drive me crazy. We'd run plays with the specific intent to create Frye an open look from 3, he'd get that look... then pass to a defended teammate.

Used to drive me insane.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Frye was a decent player for a while there, but his sputtering confidence in his shot would drive me crazy. We'd run plays with the specific intent to create Frye an open look from 3, he'd get that look... then pass to a defended teammate.

Used to drive me insane.

Saric does exactly the same thing...only this time it's justified, as his shooting has been horrible.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So glad we’re all pitching in to build $arver the worlds largest sports bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm glad the Suns saved the toughest games for last. It will make the wins that much sweeter.

I know, I know. That's not the way to look at it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is Oubre traveled with the team. Maybe it makes no difference.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson