TDN Cardinals 7 round mock draft

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We agree, but we'd all be silly to think the top ten of this draft is set yet. Anyone insisting we can't possibly get Simmons is wrong. The only two players I think we can even be 95% sure we don't have a chance at yet are Burrow and Young.
I’ll say this, I’m starting to buy into Simmons at the #8 spot, but only if Lucas Niang is there in the 2nd round for us(which I think will be 80% possible.)

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think the Chargers or Panthers are locks to take quarterbacks. Not with game changer talent still on the board. I think the Panthers will take a long steamy look at Simmons now that Kuechly is gone.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We're not even past the Senior Bowl yet, and guys we talk about today won't be top ten picks in two weeks. Guys who perform in the Combine will take meteoric rises into that area.

Where we stand today, 5 of the 7 teams in front of us need a QB, and it could be argued that all but the Giants are viable candidates to take one. 3 guys could qualify to be drafted at QB. Young & Okudah are probably going off the board before we pick. There's 3 OTs battling to be in the top 7, and Derrick Brown on the DL. Simmons isn't a pipe dream.

This isn't me actually mocking, but where we stand today, would this be all that surprising?

CIN - Burrow
WAS - Young
DET - Okudah
NYG - Jeudy/Brown/Thomas
MIA - Tagovailoa
LAC - Hebert
CAR - Remaining QB from above/Brown/etc.
ARI - ?

There's so many top tackles, QBs, WRs and Young/Okudah to muck up that whole situation. He's being mocked near or past us by plenty of people.

This isn't me saying that Simmons is my #1 target yet, but he's in the range of being our guy.

I think the Lions go Brown. They badly need an interior DL since everyone is a free agent and Snacks is thinking retirement.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the Chargers or Panthers are locks to take quarterbacks. Not with game changer talent still on the board. I think the Panthers will take a long steamy look at Simmons now that Kuechly is gone.

I'm not even convinced the Panthers move on from Cam. I find it crazy that seems to be an accepted thing and I'm not Cam Newton fan. I think he is inconsistent and over rated.

But he's still better than all the other options out there. Guys like Herbert are no comparison to a 30 year old vet with SB experience. Yes he was bad last year but he was playing injured and has since had surgery.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In order to get Simmons, we need a team to make a surprise pick, like the Raiders did last year with Ferell (Sp?).

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...su-clemson-stars-land-in-1st-round/ar-BBZ12GP

1. Bengals — Joe Burrow, QB, LSU: A 15-0 record, Heisman Trophy, national title and record 60 passing touchdowns made for quite the single-season output. At the NFL level, though, Burrow's senior campaign will go down as what launched him from afterthought to clear front-runner for the No. 1 pick. Though Cincinnati's coaches won't get an up-close look at him as they work the Senior Bowl next week, there shouldn't be much mystery left about this selection.

2. Redskins — Chase Young, DE, Ohio State: Sure, new coach Ron Rivera hasn't tipped his hand as to how his priorities in Washington might translate to the top of the draft. It's almost unfathomable, however, that the Redskins would bypass the class' premier pass rusher for anything other than a colossal trade offer.

3. Lions — Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State: Tua Tagovailoa's entry into the draft creates an interesting dynamic at this slot, as a bidding war for a quarterback could benefit Detroit. Might some team offer a package similar to what the Jets conceded to the Colts in 2018 (three second-round picks) to move from No. 6 to No. 3? Okudah is hardly a consolation prize, however, as he's in a tier of his own at an all-important position.

4. Giants — Jedrick Wills Jr., OT, Alabama: New coach Joe Judge seemed to be channeling general manager Dave Gettleman when he vowed the Giants would employ an "old-school, physical mentality." That mentality might push them toward Wills, a surprisingly fleet-footed protector who erases opponents in the run game.

5. Dolphins — Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama: Maybe hip surgery won't leave Tagovailoa out of action until the draft after all. His agent, Leigh Steinberg, said this week he expects the quarterback to be healthy by April and participate in a throwing session for teams. The former point is more important than the latter, as medical questions should be the only reason the Dolphins should have pause on an otherwise alluring passer.

6. Chargers — Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon: As arguably the top prospect at the Senior Bowl this week, Herbert could amplify the buzz surrounding him by showing off his considerable physical tools. The Chargers have to be thinking about their future at quarterback — be it in the near or long term — as they move into their new digs, and the 6-6, 237-pound signal-caller has the downfield throwing aptitude to take advantage of Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.

7. Panthers — Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia: Luke Kuechly's surprising retirement makes Carolina's rebuild all the more imposing. A good first step in that plan would be providing the stability at left tackle this organization has lacked since Jordan Gross' retirement in 2014. Thomas fits the bill as a smooth blind-side protector who can also pave openings for Christian McCaffrey.

8. Cardinals — Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson: The national title game served as a showcase for how much Simmons can do, as he repeatedly disrupted plays by pressuring Burrow, closing in coverage and holding firm against the run from a variety of positions. That versatility should come in handy for an Arizona defense that yielded a league-worst 402 yards per game.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...su-clemson-stars-land-in-1st-round/ar-BBZ12GP

1. Bengals — Joe Burrow, QB, LSU: A 15-0 record, Heisman Trophy, national title and record 60 passing touchdowns made for quite the single-season output. At the NFL level, though, Burrow's senior campaign will go down as what launched him from afterthought to clear front-runner for the No. 1 pick. Though Cincinnati's coaches won't get an up-close look at him as they work the Senior Bowl next week, there shouldn't be much mystery left about this selection.

2. Redskins — Chase Young, DE, Ohio State: Sure, new coach Ron Rivera hasn't tipped his hand as to how his priorities in Washington might translate to the top of the draft. It's almost unfathomable, however, that the Redskins would bypass the class' premier pass rusher for anything other than a colossal trade offer.

3. Lions — Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State: Tua Tagovailoa's entry into the draft creates an interesting dynamic at this slot, as a bidding war for a quarterback could benefit Detroit. Might some team offer a package similar to what the Jets conceded to the Colts in 2018 (three second-round picks) to move from No. 6 to No. 3? Okudah is hardly a consolation prize, however, as he's in a tier of his own at an all-important position.

4. Giants — Jedrick Wills Jr., OT, Alabama: New coach Joe Judge seemed to be channeling general manager Dave Gettleman when he vowed the Giants would employ an "old-school, physical mentality." That mentality might push them toward Wills, a surprisingly fleet-footed protector who erases opponents in the run game.

5. Dolphins — Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama: Maybe hip surgery won't leave Tagovailoa out of action until the draft after all. His agent, Leigh Steinberg, said this week he expects the quarterback to be healthy by April and participate in a throwing session for teams. The former point is more important than the latter, as medical questions should be the only reason the Dolphins should have pause on an otherwise alluring passer.

6. Chargers — Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon: As arguably the top prospect at the Senior Bowl this week, Herbert could amplify the buzz surrounding him by showing off his considerable physical tools. The Chargers have to be thinking about their future at quarterback — be it in the near or long term — as they move into their new digs, and the 6-6, 237-pound signal-caller has the downfield throwing aptitude to take advantage of Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.

7. Panthers — Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia: Luke Kuechly's surprising retirement makes Carolina's rebuild all the more imposing. A good first step in that plan would be providing the stability at left tackle this organization has lacked since Jordan Gross' retirement in 2014. Thomas fits the bill as a smooth blind-side protector who can also pave openings for Christian McCaffrey.

8. Cardinals — Isaiah Simmons, LB/S, Clemson: The national title game served as a showcase for how much Simmons can do, as he repeatedly disrupted plays by pressuring Burrow, closing in coverage and holding firm against the run from a variety of positions. That versatility should come in handy for an Arizona defense that yielded a league-worst 402 yards per game.
I can get jiggy with this.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I can get jiggy with this.
Me too..... And that is a result that seems very likely to me.

I still think all three QB's are going in the first 7 picks. Two is a given IMO but three is very possible.

And I would think long and hard about Tua in LA if all it takes is 3 2nd rounders. If his medical checks out (a big "if") He would sell a ton of tickets in that new stadium. And I would love that trade for the Lions.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I feel like @Dr. Jones just looked at Willis’ not-so-good tape vs Michigan & just made his decision there despite being absolutely dominate down the stretch in the regular season & had the best game-tape of any OL in this class vs Auburn.
I'm finally ready to address this.

First, I like Jed Wills. I think he is best in a run first system and think he would be awesome on the Giants or Panthers OLine.

He has good feet, solid punch, and a good ability to handle Tua's blindside. I really like his footwork when he chooses to use it. And I do find the fact that he is a RT to be a natural fit with our biggest OL need. Replacing Justin Murray.

Here are my issues.

--I think he gets lazy in a pass-blocking scheme. It's not his passion (run blocking is) and for people who get lazy, they have a tendency to get outworked in the NFL. And no, it's not just his horribly bi-polar Michigan tape that makes me think this. For every dominant run block or pancake, I can show you pad level and bend issues in pass pro.
--His lateral agility isn't where I would like it to be in a K2 style offense. This guy is a mauler.... a road grater. Not a ballerina. And for that reason, I don't see him ever at LT in the NFL and would probably be best as a guard in a run heavy scheme. I will let the combine numbers play that out though. We need guys who can get in space and block for people. Like..... 15 to 20 snaps a game.
--He could be (IMO) a Decastro level guard. Not Nelson, but definitely a technique driven mauler who dominates the guy right across from him. I want a true OT with ballerina level feet with this offense when I pick in the top 8.

My comment regarding Tua getting hurt has more to do with the fact that he always seemed to be running for his life in big games. Is Jed Wills the cause? Who knows, and probably not. Each blocking assignment is open to interpretation but it does expose communication issues between everyone on the line.

Alabama always seems to collect the nicest recruits but never really creates dominant offensive lineman. They mix and match people and put them in a good position to succeed but never seem to make a bad ass line. So I tend to shy away from them when evaluating OLine talent.

My preference is to get Thomas if he's there due to his stellar pass blocking record at Georgia. he has played and dominated in the SEC at both RT & LT. The other two OLineman, Wirfs and Wills, are not worthy of a top 8 pick IMO. If we trade back in to the 10 to 15 region, sure.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Here is my five round mock.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cardinals walk away with a PP21 replacement, a beast for the IOL, a solid rotational DL, a developmental LT with promise, and move the chains receiver.

Sign Jordan Jenkins and Vernon Butler. The only issue would be who mans the ILB position? I'd possibly throw a decent contract at Blake Martinez. Resign Drake and Humphries.

EDIT: I'd resign Justin Murray and sign Zach Banner on a solid contract (2 years, 8 million).

Last edited:

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Cardinals walk away with a PP21 replacement, a beast for the IOL, a solid rotational DL, a developmental LT with promise, and move the chains receiver.

Sign Jordan Jenkins and Vernon Butler. The only issue would be who mans the ILB position? I'd possibly throw a decent contract at Blake Martinez. Resign Drake and Humphries.

EDIT: I'd resign Justin Murray and sign Zach Banner on a solid contract (2 years, 8 million).

I'd love it! If Davis lasts until the 3rd round we would be really lucky. He is a stud in the run game, and eats double teams for lunch. I don't see him as much of a pass rusher in the NFL...but he can hold his ground and push the pocket on passing downs. He would be an immediate upgrade to our D-Line, and IMO would start at DE from day 1.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I don't like it, but it's not your fault. I just hate the idea of taking Okudah with all of our holes and having drafted a corner high last year. Reminds me of the receiver talk.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Except a good CB is a lot more valuable than a good WR.
A good CB is wonderful, but useless if your defensive line and linebacking corps is made up of street free agents or undrafted rookies.

Not a lot of value in a 3rd or 4th CB when the opposing team can just run it down your throat and not worry about passing anyways.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A good CB is wonderful, but useless if your defensive line and linebacking corps is made up of street free agents or undrafted rookies.

Not a lot of value in a 3rd or 4th CB when the opposing team can just run it down your throat and not worry about passing anyways.
You can also turn this around & say the team is not worried about running when they can just pass it all over the field.

It’s a lot of value in a CB1.

You really want to pass up a greater player just because he’s not the biggest need. Just like Keim has been doing.

You sound like the man you despise.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Love it. And would seriously look to see if we could get Miami's last first rounder for PP. Or someone else's 1st rounder for him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You can also turn this around & say the team is not worried about running when they can just pass it all over the field.

It’s a lot of value in a CB1.

You really want to pass up a greater player just because he’s not the biggest need. Just like Keim has been doing.

You sound like the man you despise.
I'm not drafting based on need, I'm just not drafting a guy when we have his spot already filled and we're not going to play him. Just like I'm not drafting Tua if he's there at 8. Same as why we shouldn't have drafted Isabella to play the slot when we already have multiple guys exclusively playing the slot.

As it stands today we have three pretty good CBs and most of the rest of this team is garbage. I don't see why we add another CB to come in for our dime packages.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not drafting based on need, I'm just not drafting a guy when we have his spot already filled and we're not going to play him. Just like I'm not drafting Tua if he's there at 8. Same as why we shouldn't have drafted Isabella to play the slot when we already have multiple guys exclusively playing the slot.

As it stands today we have three pretty good CBs and most of the rest of this team is garbage. I don't see why we add another CB to come in for our dime packages.
What makes Robert Alford, a guy that was already heavily inconsistent in Atlanta, got injured in TC, a year older.....good?

What makes Patrick Peterson having a inconsistent recent season....good?

What makes Byron Murphy.....good?

(I do think Byron will be good, but mostly in the slot).

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What makes Robert Alford, a guy that was already heavily inconsistent in Atlanta, got injured in TC, a year older.....good?

What makes Patrick Peterson having a inconsistent recent season....good?

What makes Byron Murphy.....good?

(I do think Byron will be good, but mostly in the slot).
PP played great in some games. At least as many as Kenyan Drake did, to go to our other thread. He's also one of the best CBs in the league. He might be declining, but he's still damn good.

Alford is definitely the biggest question mark, but I'm not ignoring other positions to replace him right now.

Murphy needs to be given a chance to grow. Can't keep drafting guys and then drafting their replacement the next year because they weren't immediately the best player on the field.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PP played great in some games. At least as many as Kenyan Drake did, to go to our other thread. He's also one of the best CBs in the league. He might be declining, but he's still damn good.

Alford is definitely the biggest question mark, but I'm not ignoring other positions to replace him right now.

Murphy needs to be given a chance to grow. Can't keep drafting guys and then drafting their replacement the next year because they weren't immediately the best player on the field.
Comparing “one of the best CBs in the league(which really isn’t true anymore & hasn’t in 3 years)” to a guy you’re not high on at all really says something about Peterson, but I digress.

About Alford, I am. He sucks. He old. Bad combo.

Murphy will grow. Obviously he’ll be given chances to grow. He can grow with Okudah aside him. They can grow together. That’ll be great to watch.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Talk about a strawman.

The team wouldnt be adding Street free agents and undrafted rookies if they changed on draft pick.

Matt Miller has him rated at or above Jalen Ramsey. Imagine having him lined up across from Peterson and learning from PP21. Imagine when Peterson leaves or hits a big decline, having another shutdown corner waiting to take over.

A true shutdown corner are the second most valuable position after QB in the modern NFL. Worth more than a RT, a WR, or a pass rusher.

The only player in this draft that I would take above Okudah would be Chase Young because he has the chance to be better than Bosa was this year AND he would fill a bigger need.

This talk of best player available is mostly hogwash. Teams draft the best available player at a position of need. The Cardinals were dreadful stopping the pass this year. Players that affect the opponents passing game should be a priority for the Cardinals.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

No way all this falls perfectly I to place. I’d be ecstatic.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Talk about a strawman.

The team wouldnt be adding Street free agents and undrafted rookies if they changed on draft pick.

Matt Miller has him rated at or above Jalen Ramsey. Imagine having him lined up across from Peterson and learning from PP21. Imagine when Peterson leaves or hits a big decline, having another shutdown corner waiting to take over.

A true shutdown corner are the second most valuable position after QB in the modern NFL. Worth more than a RT, a WR, or a pass rusher.

The only player in this draft that I would take above Okudah would be Chase Young because he has the chance to be better than Bosa was this year AND he would fill a bigger need.

This talk of best player available is mostly hogwash. Teams draft the best available player at a position of need. The Cardinals were dreadful stopping the pass this year. Players that affect the opponents passing game should be a priority for the Cardinals.

And make no mistake, PP21 is either walking at the end of the year because of all the drama he has had with the organization, or he is holding us hostage to make him the highest paid CB in the league at 31 and already showing signs of decline.

I wish we would have traded him to the Eagles at the deadline if the reports were true that they offered a 1st. He has made it clear he doesn't want to be here long term.

If we trade him at this years draft, we might be able to squeeze out a couple of picks from someone...maybe a 2nd and 4th? Getting Okudah would be awesome, if we can line up a decent deal for PP21 and fill other needs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And make no mistake, PP21 is either walking at the end of the year because of all the drama he has had with the organization, or he is holding us hostage to make him the highest paid CB in the league at 31 and already showing signs of decline.

I wish we would have traded him to the Eagles at the deadline if the reports were true that they offered a 1st. He has made it clear he doesn't want to be here long term.

If we trade him at this years draft, we might be able to squeeze out a couple of picks from someone...maybe a 2nd and 4th? Getting Okudah would be awesome, if we can line up a decent deal for PP21 and fill other needs.

Eh he can be franchised next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose