Starting to warm to Simmons, but ...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He had a good start to the game and faded in my opinion. Looks very thin to me.
I keyed in him second half. He made a few plays in the backfield. But if a tackle locks into him he’s done. I also saw him whiff on the rb in a tackle which of made would’ve resulted in a 5 yard loss but instead went for a 7 yard gain. He’s fluid at that size. And yes looks skinny which makes me think he can bulk up bc he doesn’t look narrow, just skinny. He’s a + on my board, but I’m a sucker for athletic ILBs. Dabs by was perhaps my favorite cardinals draft pick of all time.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keyed in him second half. He made a few plays in the backfield. But if a tackle locks into him he’s done. I also saw him whiff on the rb in a tackle which of made would’ve resulted in a 5 yard loss but instead went for a 7 yard gain. He’s fluid at that size. And yes looks skinny which makes me think he can bulk up bc he doesn’t look narrow, just skinny. He’s a + on my board, but I’m a sucker for athletic ILBs. Dabs by was perhaps my favorite cardinals draft pick of all time.

Scares me at 8. And what I had seen previously didn't. I now believe he will get knocked around in the NFL.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Simmons is going to show up to the combine at 240 lbs and run in the 4.3's. The chances of him falling to #8 are slim.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Some that I have talked to didn't see Simmons as very instinctive. Very athletic, very long, very fast, but not instinctive. I couldn't watch the game last night, and I haven't seen enough of the kid to make my own judgments. On tape, he looks great, but doesn't everyone. There are some great players that will be available at 8, so I'm not fretting this. Just curious what others think about Simmons's instinctiveness? DWeed wasn't instinctive coming out of TCU either & his athleticism more than made up for it. What says you?
Looks very good in coverage long arms very fluid. I'm not a fan in the run game he doesn't have very good instincts at line of scrimmage IM0, seems good at blitzing thou, so maybe he can add some strength and hold up better in run game and his athletic ability can hide some of his lack of Instinctive ability. JMO

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Agree with this.

You’re summarization & my thoughts back in time & up until now sounds like he’s the spitting image of Los Dansby. Slight frame despite the size, explosive, long arms, a jack of all trades & not a huge run stopper in taking on blocks, but a chaser in the run game.

Now, it just depends if the Cards or anyone else wants to pull the trigger on that type player in the top 10. That’s the question
Looks very good in coverage long arms very fluid. I'm not a fan in the run game he doesn't have very good instincts at line of scrimmage IM0, seems good at blitzing thou, so maybe he can add some strength and hold up better in run game and his athletic ability can hide some of his lack of Instinctive ability. JMO

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was keying on #11 just to see if he would be a fit for the Cardinals. Initially I wasn't sure I was watching the right player as he was lined up at CB when I first located him. Then he moved to the slot. Then he moved to ILB. Then...

Maybe the question should be which position didn't he play.

Man that guy plays everywhere!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Luke Kuechly just announced his retirement

i think we can pencil Simmons in at #7

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
So I was keying on #11 just to see if he would be a fit for the Cardinals. Initially I wasn't sure I was watching the right player as he was lined up at CB when I first located him. Then he moved to the slot. Then he moved to ILB. Then...

Maybe the question should be which position didn't he play.

Man that guy plays everywhere!
But what does he do well besides cover rb and te and occasionally blitzing. I like the player and how you can use him but not sold yet as a top 10 pick. With the way things are changing I see his value but I dont see spy ability (no instinct in the running game)with a good running QB and not enough ass in the pants to be a full time ILB for at least a couple years, alot of draft capital on a Jack of all player Los Dansby is a great comp 2nd round draft pick not top 10, I do like the player, but top 10 seems like you should be able to get a guy who has a position.

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
as a cheaper (draft wise) alternative:

#8 for LSU -- LB Queen

draft eligible, and pegged as a 3rd or 4th rounder

I thought he looked really good night
He was impressive last night. I wonder what the rest of his season looked like. They mentioned he wasn’t even pegged to be a starter at seasons start.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I don’t see 3 qbs going before the 8th pick...only 2

I agree. Burrow and maybe Herbert.

Tua isn’t going to be healthy enough to throw until April, thus he’s missing all the work outs. That’s way too risky for anyone to pick him in the Top 10. I think he’ll slide a bit

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Now the Panthers are in dire need of a LB who can cover lots of ground. Simmons is the odds favorite to be their pick. Great player, but still much more of a projection than people want to admit. We've seen so many hybrids struggle before who did it all at college level. A true blue chip DL or OL falling to us now might be a blessing, since successful teams are always building trenches first.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now the Panthers are in dire need of a LB who can cover lots of ground. Simmons is the odds favorite to be their pick. Great player, but still much more of a projection than people want to admit. We've seen so many hybrids struggle before who did it all at college level. A true blue chip DL or OL falling to us now might be a blessing, since successful teams are always building trenches first.

Probably even if a qb should be a target but probably i see them eyeing bridgewater or Mariota

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Tua isn’t going to be healthy enough to throw until April, thus he’s missing all the work outs. That’s way too risky for anyone to pick him in the Top 10. I think he’ll slide a bit

Before the season Tua was the runaway #1 pick. Now Miami with some momentum still gets him at #5... It’s the perfect storm.

I’d redshirt Tua and roll with Rosen. Maybe they boost his value in a Jacoby Brissett situation. At worst he’s a cheap backup.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A little bit of an issue being that we are in a very run-heavy division.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Before the season Tua was the runaway #1 pick. Now Miami with some momentum still gets him at #5... It’s the perfect storm.

I’d redshirt Tua and roll with Rosen. Maybe they boost his value in a Jacoby Brissett situation. At worst he’s a cheap backup.

Fitzpatrick will be the bridge guy if they did draft Tua.

The Dolphins gave up on Rosen quicker than the Cardinals did.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don’t see 3 qbs going before the 8th pick...only 2

I think you guys will be wrong come draft day. Tua's going top 6 at least.

Herbert may actually be third off the board. But his rose Bowl performance made him a ton of money.

My only hope is that they hired two offensive guys. Could they make a play for Lamb, Jeudy, or even a new QB? Trade up for Burrow? All are possibilities. Especially with a highly inaccurate QB like Cam.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
A little bit of an issue being that we are in a very run-heavy division.
Oh forsure I'm not as high on him as some are here. I think he is the type of player you add to a decent front 7 and use him in specialized situations for a couple of years to see if he can become an every down ILB. We need to add more to our dline 1st , I personally think he will be a good player in the right situation but dont know if we are the situation that he would succeed in. I would love to draft an ILB that knows how to play the position in this draft there are a couple I really like and we wouldn't have to use a top 10 pick for them.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If Simmons makes it past Detroit and the Giants, he’ll be there barring a team trading up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose