Fix the D in Free Agency

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we will make a run at Calais Campbell once he is released.
I’ve been hoping as much. Grabbing him and having Brown fall to us at 8 would do wonders for the D. A front 7 of Brown/Z. Allen, Peters, Campbell, Reddick, FA WILB (Blake Martinez, Joe Schobert?), Hicks, Jones with Peterson, Alford/Murphy, Baker and Thompson behind them sounds soooooo much better than this past year.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Redskins switching back to 4-3. With Montez Sweat and potentially Chase Young...do they trade Ryan Kerrigan?

11.5m for 2020...that would be a hell of a way to fix the D.

You must be registered for see images attach
Washington’s DT’s are one of the biggest reasons why Rivera will be successful defensively right off the bat in Washington and Wilks wasn’t here.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’ve been hoping as much. Grabbing him and having Brown fall to us at 8 would do wonders for the D. A front 7 of Brown/Z. Allen, Peters, Campbell, Reddick, FA WILB (Blake Martinez, Joe Schobert?), Hicks, Jones with Peterson, Alford/Murphy, Baker and Thompson behind them sounds soooooo much better than this past year.
I don't think you need to consider Derrick Brown if you get Calais. I think you then look to CB, OLB, ILB.

The reality is that we are going to need to do more with less at some position group, if not a couple of them.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't think you need to consider Derrick Brown if you get Calais. I think you then look to CB, OLB, ILB.

The reality is that we are going to need to do more with less at some position group, if not a couple of them.
Unless we move Patrick Peterson, I'm not sure how you invest more assets into CB over most of the positions on the field. The reality is, even if we acquire Calais, which I'd be on board with, we need to fill one more DE/DT position alone, and we have 0 starters at OLB or ILB currently.

PP, Alford, and Murphy are a decent base for a CB corps.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Zach Allen will be counted on to be a starting, highly productive 5 technique next year assuming he’s healthy. We need someone to play on the other side. Calais, Hargrave, Butler would all be good signings and shouldn’t break the bank.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Zach Allen will be counted on to be a starting, highly productive 5 technique next year assuming he’s healthy. We need someone to play on the other side. Calais, Hargrave, Butler would all be good signings and shouldn’t break the bank.
I'm normally for getting these kids snaps, but counting on Allen as a starter seems like a real mess when he didn't show anything, and then got hurt. I would aim to sign one high-level guy, and then someone else with experience that can start if Allen just isn't any good.

...Keim hasn't picked many good players over the years, so...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless we move Patrick Peterson, I'm not sure how you invest more assets into CB over most of the positions on the field. The reality is, even if we acquire Calais, which I'd be on board with, we need to fill one more DE/DT position alone, and we have 0 starters at OLB or ILB currently.

PP, Alford, and Murphy are a decent base for a CB corps.
Alford sucks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

That's why your call for Simmons at FS is pretty unlikely to happen. I'd bet the Cardinals go cheap and young at safety with Baker and the Thompsons. Maybe a late round small school guy or raw athlete type to develop.

I've said on other threads, Vernon Butler and Jordan Jenkins would be my targets.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why your call for Simmons at FS is pretty unlikely to happen. I'd bet the Cardinals go cheap and young at safety with Baker and the Thompsons. Maybe a late round small school guy or raw athlete type to develop.

I've said on other threads, Vernon Butler and Jordan Jenkins would be my targets.
Liking Brits idea. Drafting an OT to replace Humphries would free up enough money to sign Butler, Jordan and Campbell. Huge upgrade on defense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Liking Brits idea. Drafting an OT to replace Humphries would free up enough money to sign Butler, Jordan and Campbell. Huge upgrade on defense.

And a good linebacker. If we don't sign Hump and AQ we have approximately $45m to spend in FA compared to $25m. That a huge difference. Even allowing for $7m held back you could sign 4 high quality defensive starters with a little backloading. Possibly 5 depending on who they are.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yes but that's assuming the drafted LT is half as good as Humphries.

That's a huge assumption.

Teams dont usually gamble on their starting LT. It's an awful idea.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
And a good linebacker. If we don't sign Hump and AQ we have approximately $45m to spend in FA compared to $25m. That a huge difference. Even allowing for $7m held back you could sign 4 high quality defensive starters with a little backloading. Possibly 5 depending on who they are.

AQ wont sign for much. His last contract was for 2 mill.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes but that's assuming the drafted LT is half as good as Humphries.

That's a huge assumption.

Teams dont usually gamble on their starting LT. It's an awful idea.

Why is it a huge assumption? It's maths.

The last top 10 tackle to bust is Ereck Flowers in 2015 and that was because he was massively over drafted. He was 71 on Matt Millers overall big board for example. Nobody had him top 10.

There are only 2 consensus top 10 picks this decade that have been busts. Joeckel and Robinson.

Plenty have come in and done well right away. Tytus Howard, Andre Dillard, Jawaan Taylor, Mike McGlinchey, Ronnie Stanley, Tunsil, Decker, Conklin, Lewan, Lane Johnson, Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Okung just in the last 10 years.

There are far more success stories when it comes to 1st round tackles than busts. Especially in the top 10.

The thing is, this team is bad. It's especially bad on defense. Adding $14m to the offensive bill for an average player isn't the way to get better.

For me the way to get better is draft a guy who is a consensus top 10 tackle. Pay that guy $4.5m a year. Move $10m over to defensive reinforcements this year, AND every year for the next 5 years.

Because this move isn't just saving us cap this year. It's every year.

If DJ was actually good. Even close to a top 12 tackle I'd be fine with it, but he isn't. He's arguably not top 20.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it is not but if you pick one in the top 10....aren’t you kind of hoping that he starts opening day?

I agree with this but I still wouldn't count on it. It takes time to build cohesion on the offensive line. Some players develop at a slower speed.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why is it a huge assumption? It's maths.

The last top 10 tackle to bust is Ereck Flowers in 2015 and that was because he was massively over drafted. He was 71 on Matt Millers overall big board for example. Nobody had him top 10.

There are only 2 consensus top 10 picks this decade that have been busts. Joeckel and Robinson.

Plenty have come in and done well right away. Tytus Howard, Andre Dillard, Jawaan Taylor, Mike McGlinchey, Ronnie Stanley, Tunsil, Decker, Conklin, Lewan, Lane Johnson, Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Okung just in the last 10 years.

There are far more success stories when it comes to 1st round tackles than busts. Especially in the top 10.

The thing is, this team is bad. It's especially bad on defense. Adding $14m to the offensive bill for an average player isn't the way to get better.

For me the way to get better is draft a guy who is a consensus top 10 tackle. Pay that guy $4.5m a year. Move $10m over to defensive reinforcements this year, AND every year for the next 5 years.

Because this move isn't just saving us cap this year. It's every year.

If DJ was actually good. Even close to a top 12 tackle I'd be fine with it, but he isn't. He's arguably not top 20.

Tyrus Howard, Conklin, Jawaan Taylor, Lane Johnson, McGlinchey....all Right Tackles so scratch them off the list.

Andre Dillard? How many games did he play?

I noticed you didnt include any players like Greg Robinson or the other 1st round busts.

This isnt Madden. In the real world, offensive lines develop chemistry together.

Isnt top 20? Now you're just being disingenuous.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tyrus Howard, Conklin, Jawaan Taylor, Lane Johnson, McGlinchey....all Right Tackles so scratch them off the list.

Andre Dillard? How many games did he play?

I noticed you didnt include any players like Greg Robinson or the other 1st round busts.

This isnt Madden. In the real world, offensive lines develop chemistry together.

Isnt top 20? Now you're just being disingenuous.

I mentioned Robinson.

Also doesn't matter if right or left. The point was rookie tackles can contribute right away.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this but I still wouldn't count on it. It takes time to build cohesion on the offensive line. Some players develop at a slower speed.

And some still aren't there after 5 years

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mentioned Robinson.

Also doesn't matter if right or left. The point was rookie tackles can contribute right away.

I could contribute right away LOL.

Humphries allowed, what? 2 sacks?

That's a pretty damn good season.

We've gone over this for around 20 years on this board and its predecessors....

Whenever the Cardinals have a veteran player that is hitting free agency, some wise sage comes forward and talks of schemes to let said veteran walk and replace them with a cheaper player.

In our collective ASFN history, do you know how often that has worked out? Pretty much never.

A LT that gives up 2 sacks on a season is worth $14 million per season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave