Kliff Kingsbury. Your review of him after year one?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. His one win against Seattle was spectacular, and only other dominant performance was against the crumbling Browns. But as has been mentioned, the rest of the teams we beat or tied (and barely managed to do that), were against teams in complete dire straits. And we got styled on by teams that were good for the most part, some who were bad.
Okay....

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Didn’t you predict the team to go 3-13? That’s exceeding your expectations regardless of how low it was, right?
I upped it to 4 at some point, but it’s just not a wild improvement. He did a little better than I thought, and I like him as a person and speaker. But I still don’t think he’s gonna be a consistently winning coach.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I have no doubt the offensive coaching was a lot better than it was, but even in that personnel grouping you're counting out Kenyan Drake, Damiere Byrd, Pharoah Cooper... all guys who played significant time.

seriously, Byrd and Cooper were street free agents

I guess we have blocked it all out -- but the 2018 Cards Offense wasn't just bad for last year: it was one of the worst in the last 30 years of the NFL.

its finished last in total yards --- and nearly 20% lower than the 31st ranked team.

it didn't just improve this year: on points scored, it was actually better than the average NFL team (barely better, but still)

between KK and K1 --- something happened that made that change.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
seriously, Byrd and Cooper were street free agents

I guess we have blocked it all out -- but the 2018 Cards Offense wasn't just bad for last year: it was one of the worst in the last 30 years of the NFL.

its finished last in total yards --- and nearly 20% lower than the 31st ranked team.

it didn't just improve this year: on points scored, it was actually better than the average NFL team (barely better, but still)

between KK and K1 --- something happened that made that change.
I'm not saying Byrd and Cooper were great pickups or anything. But they're major differences from a year prior.

I'm well aware of the improvement but it's still gotta get a lot better. If we come out next year and are middle of the pack again, we'll be a non-winning team for five years straight. Middle of the pack on offense and dead last on defense does not warrant a passing grade.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This was still a big miss/don't understand cutting Bynes (making 1.2m):

You must be registered for see images attach

vs Reddick

Josh Bynes ‘stablized’ Baltimore Ravens’ season

“He’s stabilized things awesomely," Ravens linebacker coach Mike MacDonald said. "He’s walked in and he’s known the defense. Shoot, he learned the defense -- or re-learned it, I guess, because it’s similar to a couple of systems that he’s had in the past. He came in Wednesday and just knocked it out of the park. He put in a ton of work. And we lined up on Wednesday, and he was running the defense from the first play. So the communication that he has and the confidence he has in the calls, as you get lined up, that’s a big comfort for everybody else on the field, not just the linebackers.”

In his first game back, Bynes made five tackles and intercepted a pass in a 26-23 overtime victory against Pittsburgh. He had three tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, and tipped a pass that was intercepted in a 23-17 victory against Cincinnati. Bynes made eight tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, in a 30-16 victory over Seattle.

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/11/josh-bynes-stablized-baltimore-ravens-season.html

Last edited:

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This was still a big miss/don't understand cutting Bynes (making 1.2m):

vs Reddick

Josh Bynes ‘stablized’ Baltimore Ravens’ season

“He’s stabilized things awesomely," Ravens linebacker coach Mike MacDonald said. "He’s walked in and he’s known the defense. Shoot, he learned the defense -- or re-learned it, I guess, because it’s similar to a couple of systems that he’s had in the past. He came in Wednesday and just knocked it out of the park. He put in a ton of work. And we lined up on Wednesday, and he was running the defense from the first play. So the communication that he has and the confidence he has in the calls, as you get lined up, that’s a big comfort for everybody else on the field, not just the linebackers.”

In his first game back, Bynes made five tackles and intercepted a pass in a 26-23 overtime victory against Pittsburgh. He had three tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, and tipped a pass that was intercepted in a 23-17 victory against Cincinnati. Bynes made eight tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, in a 30-16 victory over Seattle.

https://www.al.com/sports/2019/11/josh-bynes-stablized-baltimore-ravens-season.html
Even more amazing that he wasn't even in a camp this year, everyone missed on this. They also signed LJ Fort that week and got 8 starts/12games out of him with. Good thing we were solid at ILB this year!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson