Fix the D in Free Agency

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Scott Burrow has a good article on how to fix the D on The Athletic. He’s suggesting Marcell Dareus, Everson Griffen, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Vernon Butler as options. Here’s the link but it requires subscription. They offer a free trial.

https://theathletic.com/1516278/202...the-cardinals-might-fix-their-defensive-line/

I’d love to see Butler. The draft has only Brown in his league. Quinn is a little too old but SK has had some success with his type. Anyway his thought is to fix the D-Line in FA and attack the O-line & WR in FA.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
DE Calais Campbell
Contract: Four years, $60 million, $30 million guaranteed, signed in 2017

2020 figures: $15 million salary, $17.5 million cap figure

What the Jaguars should do: Campbell will go down as the best free-agent signing in franchise history. He had 25 sacks in his first two seasons, which includes a franchise-record 14.5 in 2017, and 52 quarterback hits. He is a two-time Pro Bowl pick and first-team All-Pro (2017) but he has slowed this season (6.5 sacks) and isn’t as dominant as he was. That's not surprising, as he turned 33 in September. He has missed just six games in his 12-year career. If the Jaguars can convince him to renegotiate, it would be a good idea to bring him back in a reserve role, but if not, he’ll be cut to save money. (Like Dareus, it’s just $2.5 million in dead money.)

Calais Campbell ($17.5M)
Dead money if cut: $2.5M

Savings if cut: $15M

Campbell has been the heart and soul of the Jaguars defense for the past three seasons. Signed to a four-year, $60M contract with the Jaguars during free agency in 2017, Campbell has accounted for 31.5 sacks, 43 tackles for loss, and 72 quarterback hits in only 45 games.

While he is still a dependable player, his recent decline has been evident this season and he hasn’t been able to take on blockers as consistently as he has in the past. The Jaguars can save $15M against their cap for the 2020 season if they release the 33-year old shortly before the start of the new league year in March.

There is a possibility of the team re-signing Campbell at a lower salary, similar to Dareus, however it remains to be seen if the star defensive lineman will play next season entering his age-34 year. Likelihood: Medium

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvi...ions-on-nick-foles-calais-campbell-and-others

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/12/23/21021307/which-players-cap-casualties-jaguars-2020

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott Burrow has a good article on how to fix the D on The Athletic. He’s suggesting Marcell Dareus, Everson Griffen, Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers and Vernon Butler as options. Here’s the link but it requires subscription. They offer a free trial.

https://theathletic.com/1516278/202...the-cardinals-might-fix-their-defensive-line/

I’d love to see Butler. The draft has only Brown in his league. Quinn is a little too old but SK has had some success with his type. Anyway his thought is to fix the D-Line in FA and attack the O-line & WR in FA.
You mean o-line and wr in the draft?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
DE Calais Campbell
Contract: Four years, $60 million, $30 million guaranteed, signed in 2017

2020 figures: $15 million salary, $17.5 million cap figure

What the Jaguars should do: Campbell will go down as the best free-agent signing in franchise history. He had 25 sacks in his first two seasons, which includes a franchise-record 14.5 in 2017, and 52 quarterback hits. He is a two-time Pro Bowl pick and first-team All-Pro (2017) but he has slowed this season (6.5 sacks) and isn’t as dominant as he was. That's not surprising, as he turned 33 in September. He has missed just six games in his 12-year career. If the Jaguars can convince him to renegotiate, it would be a good idea to bring him back in a reserve role, but if not, he’ll be cut to save money. (Like Dareus, it’s just $2.5 million in dead money.)

Calais Campbell ($17.5M)
Dead money if cut: $2.5M

Savings if cut: $15M

Campbell has been the heart and soul of the Jaguars defense for the past three seasons. Signed to a four-year, $60M contract with the Jaguars during free agency in 2017, Campbell has accounted for 31.5 sacks, 43 tackles for loss, and 72 quarterback hits in only 45 games.

While he is still a dependable player, his recent decline has been evident this season and he hasn’t been able to take on blockers as consistently as he has in the past. The Jaguars can save $15M against their cap for the 2020 season if they release the 33-year old shortly before the start of the new league year in March.

There is a possibility of the team re-signing Campbell at a lower salary, similar to Dareus, however it remains to be seen if the star defensive lineman will play next season entering his age-34 year. Likelihood: Medium

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvi...ions-on-nick-foles-calais-campbell-and-others

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/12/23/21021307/which-players-cap-casualties-jaguars-2020
I am so glad that we passed on this production. We sure didn't need it. And yes, we could have afforded him, but we would have had to forego all of our dead cap dollars.*sarcasm*

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am so glad that we passed on this production. We sure didn't need it. And yes, we could have afforded him, but we would have had to forego all of our dead cap dollars.*sarcasm*

they gave him a ridiculous contract it was damn near twice what Micheal Bennet got paid that year and we offered more than Bennet.

he took the money and good for him. He deserved it but they really overpaid

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Remember decades ago when we drafted Levi Brown? We took Calais Campbell the same day. He was a great Cardinal but he will be wanting more than a one year deal, and that ship has long sailed.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me Dante Fowler.
I think the price tag on him maybe too much though.
The only thing I worry about Fowler is character. I think he’s had some problems which was why the Rams were able to get him. But boy, HE would certainly compliment Jones. Imagine a lb corp of Jones , Hicks, Fowler and plug in Simmons in the draft? Big, big upgrade.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only thing I worry about Fowler is character. I think he’s had some problems which was why the Rams were able to get him. But boy, HE would certainly compliment Jones. Imagine a lb corp of Jones , Hicks, Fowler and plug in Simmons in the draft? Big, big upgrade.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hopefully the character issues put a damper on his price tag.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember decades ago when we drafted Levi Brown? We took Calais Campbell the same day. He was a great Cardinal but he will be wanting more than a one year deal, and that ship has long sailed.

Rodgers-Cromartie rather than Brown but other than that I agree

JTS

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Give me Dante Fowler.
I think the price tag on him maybe too much though.
To Harry's point, and in relation to a post I made in another thread...I expect OLB, WR, and C to be upgraded in the draft, and early. Top of round 2 makes a bunch of sense for a C or OLB especially if they go WR in round 1.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is so correct.

Offensive Free Agency is really barren while there are a ton of good defenders available.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
This is so correct.

Offensive Free Agency is really barren while there are a ton of good defenders available.

Yup and I believe had Carolina not snagged Butler a pick or two ahead of us that year, we would be signing him to a 2nd contract instead of having to cut useless, lazy Rob Nkem.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The headline of this thread is the BEST 'Fix the D in Free agency'- hahahahaha

Cards problem are O and D line! If they start and end only on the lines I'm fine with it. Till the O line is fixed - aka replaced, they'll never win more than 5.

DJ is ok
the rest SUUUUCK!

Problem the fans have is Keim could care less about drafting centers or guards...he won't do it. He won't go after any high level guard or center....even when Pouncy hit the market he didn't even contact his agent, per reports...and all Pouncy had done with the Chargers is go to the pro bowl every year.
There are things we are all good at and some things we are bad at....Keim had NO ability to assess O line, NONE.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cards problem are O and D line! If they start and end only on the lines I'm fine with it. Till the O line is fixed - aka replaced, they'll never win more than 5.

DJ is ok
the rest SUUUUCK!

Problem the fans have is Keim could care less about drafting centers or guards...he won't do it. He won't go after any high level guard or center....even when Pouncy hit the market he didn't even contact his agent, per reports...and all Pouncy had done with the Chargers is go to the pro bowl every year.
There are things we are all good at and some things we are bad at....Keim had NO ability to assess O line, NONE.

I have been a very vocal critic of this line, but they started to come into their own the 2nd half of the season. So much in fact, that they weren't the biggest weakness of the team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think that's overpaying

you can’t look at it now you have to look at it then. At the time they offered him twice what we offered and twice what Bennet Signed for. He produced great for them and good for him.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

DJ is ok
the rest SUUUUCK!

Did you happen to watch any of the games this year?

The O Line didn't suck, and our offense was very productive most every week. Murray rarely got sacked, we could run a little with a motivated back.
The centers didn't get a whole lot of push, but pass blocked alright. The guard rotation did well, DJ played all year, and our backup RT's played surprisingly not sucky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose