Backup Quarterback

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keenum last played in Kliff’s offense 9 years ago. I bet it has changed over time in a big way.
I’m not sold that it has changed in a BIG way. But, no doubt it has evolved some. It has to. But, KK loved Keenum. Called him a human sponge. If given the choice, KK will want Keenum.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well he won, and put his body on the line to do so.......so, I think that is justifiable.
He won with the game already in a strong spot, but with Green Bay, was atrocious. Has he really learned, and is capable of winning if we gave him a full game, or needed him for a stretch? Maybe, but ehhh....

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well he won, and put his body on the line to do so.......so, I think that is justifiable.

I think we had a better chance to win the Rams game in week 17 had they left Hundley in for the final drive. Kyler was not himself physically, and Hundley had moved the ball.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You 100% keep Hundley. He knows the system and played GREAT as a backup. I've seen enough...then again you have too. He's one of the best backup QB's I've seen.
The team didn't change a thing....normally they go to a vanilla offense....not with Hundley

He's a keeper
End of story. Why in the world would we even think about replacing him? Unless somebody offers him a boat load of money and a chance to be a starter you give him a little raise and keep him.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hundley played for Mike McCarthy in Green Bay. Cowboys backup QB is .... anyone wanna guess?

Cooper Rush RFA. Likely landing spot for Hundley?????

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
End of story. Why in the world would we even think about replacing him? Unless somebody offers him a boat load of money and a chance to be a starter you give him a little raise and keep him.
I'm really amazed he's getting so much love. He was awful with Green Bay. Now, he does have a connection to Clements, but Keenum has deep veteran experience that might help Kyler.

I'm not heavily leaning in any direction, but a year ago we were all pretty underwhelmed by signing Hundley.

Hundley played for Mike McCarthy in Green Bay. Cowboys backup QB is .... anyone wanna guess?

Cooper Rush RFA. Likely landing spot for Hundley?????
Pretty sure McCarthy doesn't want anything to do with him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really amazed he's getting so much love. He was awful with Green Bay. Now, he does have a connection to Clements, but Keenum has deep veteran experience that might help Kyler.

I'm not heavily leaning in any direction, but a year ago we were all pretty underwhelmed by signing Hundley.

I wasn’t underwhelmed.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won with the game already in a strong spot, but with Green Bay, was atrocious. Has he really learned, and is capable of winning if we gave him a full game, or needed him for a stretch? Maybe, but ehhh....
Hundley was indeed atrocious with Green Bay, but has looked a lot better in his preseason and limited game action with the Cardinals. Maybe Kingsbury's offense suits him better. I think he's a perfectly adequate backup in AZ.

Interestingly, with only 11 passes and 7 rushing attempts, Hundley had a lousy 58.5 passer rating this season - but a pretty good 76.4 QBR.

Keenum did go 11-3 with a stacked Vikings team and almost had them in the NFC Championship game. Certainly nothing to scoff at! If the Cardinals were a year closer to Super Bowl contention he might be worth the price, but I think he'll expect a much higher salary than Hundley.

... dave

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hundley was indeed atrocious with Green Bay, but has looked a lot better in his preseason and limited game action with the Cardinals. Maybe Kingsbury's offense suits him better. I think he's a perfectly adequate backup in AZ.

Interestingly, with only 11 passes and 7 rushing attempts, Hundley had a lousy 58.5 passer rating this season - but a pretty good 76.4 QBR.

Keenum did go 11-3 with a stacked Vikings team and almost had them in the NFC Championship game. Certainly nothing to scoff at! If the Cardinals were a year closer to Super Bowl contention he might be worth the price, but I think he'll expect a much higher salary than Hundley.

... dave
Hundley's experienced enough that he should look great in a preseason game. The limited game action? I dunno.

I would think Keenum's chance to start anywhere is over, which would make it interesting for him to come in and work with Kliff. I think he could not only thrive, but pick up some great experience to be a coach at some point.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we actually invest in the Oline then Hundley should be fine. I like him as an off the bench kind of QB to help finish a game. However, if Kyler has to miss a couple games? Not so much.

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
From what we’ve seen and a reasonable cost we’re crazy not to keep Hundley!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
From what we’ve seen and a reasonable cost we’re crazy not to keep Hundley!

I’m not sold that it has changed in a BIG way. But, no doubt it has evolved some. It has to. But, KK loved Keenum. Called him a human sponge. If given the choice, KK will want Keenum.

Case made 3.5m last year, so that is probably where he would be for us.
I think Hundley made just under 2m.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Hundley works, seems to get along great with the coach and his teammates, and knows his role. No team can sustain losing their starting QB and all that is asked of a backup is to keep you afloat for about five games max... Hundley appears to be capable of that in this offense :raccoon:
A year ago nearly everyone on this board said Hundley was a terrible QB and wanted nothing to do with him.Amazing how much Hundley improved in a year. :rolleyes::shrug:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
A year ago nearly everyone on this board said Hundley was a terrible QB and wanted nothing to do with him.Amazing how much Hundley improved in a year. :rolleyes::shrug:

I for one never said he could not fulfill the role as a backup (moreover because it's Kliff's offense) but you are right, this forum is very impressionable by the moment.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stick with Hundley. High character, high football IQ guy who can play the role well. Exactly what you need in a #2.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be nice to have a better backup than Hundley, sure. Do I want Keim to spend any draft picks or FA cash? Nope.

We have about 15 other more pressing needs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I wasnt underwhelmed. 90% of all NFL backup QBs arent going to win games as long time starters.

IMO his experience as a starter is more an indictment of how reliant the Packers were on Rodgers to be good and how awful Mile McCarthy is. Arians could win with Drew Stanton....DREW STANTON?!?!?

My thought on backup QB is that really on Super Bowl contenders should go after Case Keenums. If I were Keenum, I wouldn't sign with a 5-10-1 teams especially one with a franchise QB in tow. I'd either go to a playoff team or go to a team with a shaky QB situation.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I wasnt underwhelmed. 90% of all NFL backup QBs arent going to win games as long time starters.

IMO his experience as a starter is more an indictment of how reliant the Packers were on Rodgers to be good and how awful Mile McCarthy is. Arians could win with Drew Stanton....DREW STANTON?!?!?

My thought on backup QB is that really on Super Bowl contenders should go after Case Keenums. If I were Keenum, I wouldn't sign with a 5-10-1 teams especially one with a franchise QB in tow. I'd either go to a playoff team or go to a team with a shaky QB situation.

Well, two thoughts. I think McCarthy is alright. (I'd actually probably lean with you that he's a better coach on account of the QBs he's had, but think he's also good at working with them. Sorta like what I think would define Kliff if he has a longer career.)

Second, I don't think Keenum is a starting player, but would thrive under certain offenses when he gets a chance - one being Kliff's pseudo-Air Raid. The only other idea I'd have for him is going to a team that hires Schurmur. I struggle to think of teams that would have him as a confident backup, but that's because of the upcoming QB shuffle we might have coming up.