Trade w/ Tampa for Mike Evans?

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah cause it’s his fault he got rolled up on last year. So what’s your point here. I don’t get it

He barely played 1/2 his contract...in his one full year led the league in penalties...and you are calling him "one of the best LT's in football"?

It just kind of ruins any credibility you have in your arguments because any realistic look at DJ Humphries would not include that description.

If you're going to elevate him to "one of the best LT's in football" status, you at least have to qualify it with "when he plays, which is only about 1/2 the time".

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thats actually not true at all. He wanted to be paid like a #1 WR...which he was. Based on production, he deserved the same type of money as Fitz.

We made the choice to only pay 1 of them as a WR1, and in the long run we made the right choice, although Boldin also had a great career.

no it’s actually very true and you just confirmed it. He wanted to be paid and treated like #1 and as long as Fitz was here that was never going to happen for him.

thanks for playing

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He barely played 1/2 his contract...in his one full year led the league in penalties...and you are calling him "one of the best LT's in football"?

It just kind of ruins any credibility you have in your arguments because any realistic look at DJ Humphries would not include that description.

If you're going to elevate him to "one of the best LT's in football" status, you at least have to qualify it with "when he plays, which is only about 1/2 the time".

I get it you don’t like him. You clearly have an agenda. Yeah your right I don’t want a 25 year old LT who only gave up 2 sacks all year. Those guys suck.

Reactions: HGC
OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
no it’s actually very true and you just confirmed it. He wanted to be paid and treated like #1 and as long as Fitz was here that was never going to happen for him.

thanks for playing

You said he was "very jealous of Fitz"...which has ZERO truth to it whatsoever. Boldin was his own person and his play dictated how he should be paid. He wanted the same money regardless of what Fitz got, and jealousy had nothing to do with it. His contract demands were not "I want $1 more than Fitz because I think I'm better than him". Saying he wanted to leave because he was jealous of Fitz is totally inaccurate and makes Boldin out to be some sort of childish whiner. He earned a big contract, we already had a lot of money tied up in another WR who also earned a big contract, and so Boldin wanted to be traded somewhere they did not have that issue and would pay him what he wanted.

Thanks for playing.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I get it you don’t like him. You clearly have an agenda. Yeah your right I don’t want a 25 year old LT who only gave up 2 sacks all year. Those guys suck.

I get it you love him. You clearly have an agenda. Yea your right, I want a 25 year old LT with injury history who just led the league in penalties. Those guys are great.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I get it you love him. You clearly have an agenda. Yea your right, I want a 25 year old LT with injury history who just led the league in penalties. Those guys are great.
He didn't lead the league in penalties and one of the guys with more was selected to the pro bowl (Tunsil). Another pro bowler only had 1 fewer penalty (Bakhtiari). He also only gave up 2 sacks all year and that ranks very highly this year. He is without a doubt a good LT as long as he can continue to stay healthy of course.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just want to point out that the penalties vs sacks allowed is not what makes a player great or terrible. While some may criticize PFF grading, it is probably one of the most detailed in player performance grading currently out there, if there is something better then someone please educate me. My point is I am tired of people comparing Humphries penalty and sack allowed totals to Pro Bowlers like Tunsil and Bakhtiari but neglect their PFF grading. Humphries is a level below both of them and while some may think Humphries looks good by watching the game there is analytical data PFF collects to show him as a back up level guy. I agree that if Costanzo is not an option and Andrew Thomas is not there at #8 then it makes sense to bring Humphries back on a REASONABLE deal, not a Top 5 salary level deal as painful as it is for me I can concede his return in those cases. But, if Thomas is there at #8 none of you will be able to convince me we are better off with Humphries at LT over Thomas.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Just want to point out that the penalties vs sacks allowed is not what makes a player great or terrible. While some may criticize PFF grading, it is probably one of the most detailed in player performance grading currently out there, if there is something better then someone please educate me.

Truth.

PFF looks at every play by player and determines a grade. Not perfect but its hard to argue with.

If you look at the starting LT's in the NFL graded by PFF:

DJ is basically #25 out of 32 for 2019. #22-28 aren't much different from a grade standpoint.

Add that to the lack of availability and you see why many people on this board don't want to pay DJ big bucks yet.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Truth.

PFF looks at every play by player and determines a grade. Not perfect but its hard to argue with.

If you look at the starting LT's in the NFL graded by PFF:

DJ is basically #25 out of 32 for 2019. #22-28 aren't much different from a grade standpoint.

Add that to the lack of availability and you see why many people on this board don't want to pay DJ big bucks yet.

I agree, and it's really my entire point.

Despite what my posts might suggest, and what others might have drawn from it...I do not dislike DJ Humphries as a player or a person. I think he has been looked at as a guy with all this potential, and while he has improved he is still an average at best OT.

I do not think he has shown enough in his career that it is just a given we will give him a 15+ million per year contract. My fear is that the cardinals, and a lot of people on this board, are willing to pay him because of a "better than nothing" attitude, and the fear that the FO will not be able to find someone better to fill that spot.

I honestly think if we dedicated 8 million to a FA LT, we could get the same production. If we take Andrew Thomas at #8, I think he would be an upgrade, and a 2nd or 3rd round rookie could eventually meet or exceed DJ's production for so much less money.

In an ideal world we let DJ test the market and see what it shows him. I would guess he will be in the 8-10 million range on another team. If we want to match that, I'm all for it. If he gets a lot more, or he wants to go somewhere else, we could grab another LT in that 2nd wave of FA to start for a year or two, and draft some quality prospects to lets Kugler develop.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Just want to point out that the penalties vs sacks allowed is not what makes a player great or terrible. While some may criticize PFF grading, it is probably one of the most detailed in player performance grading currently out there, if there is something better then someone please educate me. My point is I am tired of people comparing Humphries penalty and sack allowed totals to Pro Bowlers like Tunsil and Bakhtiari but neglect their PFF grading. Humphries is a level below both of them and while some may think Humphries looks good by watching the game there is analytical data PFF collects to show him as a back up level guy. I agree that if Costanzo is not an option and Andrew Thomas is not there at #8 then it makes sense to bring Humphries back on a REASONABLE deal, not a Top 5 salary level deal as painful as it is for me I can concede his return in those cases. But, if Thomas is there at #8 none of you will be able to convince me we are better off with Humphries at LT over Thomas.
I agree, and it's really my entire point.

Despite what my posts might suggest, and what others might have drawn from it...I do not dislike DJ Humphries as a player or a person. I think he has been looked at as a guy with all this potential, and while he has improved he is still an average at best OT.

I do not think he has shown enough in his career that it is just a given we will give him a 15+ million per year contract. My fear is that the cardinals, and a lot of people on this board, are willing to pay him because of a "better than nothing" attitude, and the fear that the FO will not be able to find someone better to fill that spot.

I honestly think if we dedicated 8 million to a FA LT, we could get the same production. If we take Andrew Thomas at #8, I think he would be an upgrade, and a 2nd or 3rd round rookie could eventually meet or exceed DJ's production for so much less money.

In an ideal world we let DJ test the market and see what it shows him. I would guess he will be in the 8-10 million range on another team. If we want to match that, I'm all for it. If he gets a lot more, or he wants to go somewhere else, we could grab another LT in that 2nd wave of FA to start for a year or two, and draft some quality prospects to lets Kugler develop.
Both of you aren't wrong about Humphries maybe not being worth that money. But waiting for Thomas to be there at 8 is what we call in my industry a "hope and pray" strategy.

I know you guys don't want to pay him and say to look elsewhere, but what are your suggestions for elsewhere? Who on this list do you actually like to protect our young QB? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/left-tackle/

Castonzo is the only one I'd trust. The rest? Nah. If Thomas is off the board at 8 and we don't have DJ, we'll be reaching for a sub-par talent again like we did with Levi Brown, because we'll just have to.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No it's not. A " year long project" doesn't exist as a 1st round pick....like I said find me ONE other first round pick that sat for an entire year???

Do you have first round picks that take a while to break into the starting lineup...of course..and by week 4, or after the teams bye or whatever, they are getting more and more playing time.

Give me one other first rounder BA has ever done this with? One other first rounder in the entire league??

Bobbie Massie, who was the starting RT that year missed two games, and Humphries wasnt even ready to step in as the backup, even though he was the RT the following year in 2016.

If you are trying to tell me that Keim and BA drafted a player that they knew was SO unprepared for the NFL he needed an entire season to even see the field with the #24 pick in the draft, then they should have been fired on the spot. Team DO NOT draft non-qb's in the 1st round to give them a red-shirt year.

They thought DJ might struggle to adjust, or have some growing pains, but they absolutley 100% thought they would have a functional player that could get on the field when they picked him. It turns out he was so lazy/dumb that BA had to go "knee deep" on him to even get him on the field.

So are you telling us that after exhaustive research you can tell us with absolute certainty that not one first-round pick aside from QBs ever sat out an entire first season?

P.S. Humphries was a 20-year old that came out early and most observers believed he should have stayed in school. Further, it was believed that if he stayed in school, he'd be a top 10 pick in the following draft. His selection was an investment in the future and that is where we now stand. How you can turn this into a firing offence is hilarious.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He did not lead the league in penalties.

Tumsil did. Humphries tied with Baktiari.

Not bad company to keep.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So couldn’t we sign him with a 16m signing bonus 10 m plus incentives and increase his salary by 2 m plus incentives for 4 years? Total 53 m 25 m guaranteed plus incentives perhaps pushing it to 60+m for four years.

I think our biggest fear of signing DJ is that he regresses and we are stuck with a crap cap hit. The above contract , even if DJ sucked and we cut him the following year we would incur a 12m hit, year 3 8m hit and the final year 4 m hit.

I see no scenario where he would not be on this team in 2021 unless he incurs a career ending injury and that could happen to any player.

He’s 26 years old and has gotten better and stronger. If we let him walk and he’s a starter on another team for the next 5 years we once again will be roasting the front office for letting a player go.

maybe it’s Kugler. Who knows? Bottom line is there is a way to structure a contract that makes DJ a rich man today and pays him very handsomely if he performs while not killing the salary structure if he doesn’t.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Paying a guy who ONLY performed during the contract year is down right scary....Halloween at midnight scary.

Too many players get the money and go back to doing nothing ...cough.. David Johnson....cough

I'm never in favor of paying a dude who only performs when the next deal is near.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
So couldn’t we sign him with a 16m signing bonus 10 m plus incentives and increase his salary by 2 m plus incentives for 4 years? Total 53 m 25 m guaranteed plus incentives perhaps pushing it to 60+m for four years.

I think our biggest fear of signing DJ is that he regresses and we are stuck with a crap cap hit. The above contract , even if DJ sucked and we cut him the following year we would incur a 12m hit, year 3 8m hit and the final year 4 m hit.

I see no scenario where he would not be on this team in 2021 unless he incurs a career ending injury and that could happen to any player.

He’s 26 years old and has gotten better and stronger. If we let him walk and he’s a starter on another team for the next 5 years we once again will be roasting the front office for letting a player go.

maybe it’s Kugler. Who knows? Bottom line is there is a way to structure a contract that makes DJ a rich man today and pays him very handsomely if he performs while not killing the salary structure if he doesn’t.
Problem is FA. If we offer that he'll mtl look where the grass is greener. We don't want to go the Tag route either. Players don't respond well to it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paying a guy who ONLY performed during the contract year is down right scary....Halloween at midnight scary.

Too many players get the money and go back to doing nothing ...cough.. David Johnson....cough

I'm never in favor of paying a dude who only performs when the next deal is near.

David Johnson performed in his rookie and sophomore years, not his contract year. :shrug:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So couldn’t we sign him with a 15m signing bonus 10 m plus incentives and increase his salary by 2 m every
Problem is FA. If we offer that he'll mtl look where the grass is greener. We don't want to go the Tag route either. Players don't respond well to it.
i get it. But a contract would guarantee him 25m plus incentives in year one. Add 12 mil in year two. That’s 37 mil. How could he balk? If he performs it would be better than today’s going rate. But it would also give us an put going into year 3 if he sucks or gets injured. He would have still earn 18.5 per year.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So Back to topic, Mike evans turns 27 before the next season begins, only played a full season twice, catches around 55% of the balls thrown his way and makes around 1.2k yards a year most of that in "garbage time".

So basically what that guy that wants the trade so badly tells us that Mike Evans is worth 2 first round picks, didn't pay attention what the Cowpies gave up last year ... a c'mon man ... Evans is worth a #10-20 pick not more not less. Larry catches around 70% of the balls thrown his way and most of them were thrown buy scrubs... Julio Jones catches around 63%, Micheal Thomas is a#1 and has 78% for now, AJ Green has 58% Floyd has a better quote as Evans ... Antonio Brown 66%, DeAndre Hopkins 60%, Odell Beckham Jr 61% ... Keenan Allen 68% ... Juju Smith-Schuster 67% ....

Look I get the love for Mike Evans, but he is a gloryfied one. If the game is on the line, you can't count on him, not like all the others, even Floyd was money when sober.

Look a clear cut out #1 WR does it all when it counts, Larry is probably the best on being there when it counts, only Edelmann is in my eyes as good in that repart. But with Mike Evans, you can't realy count on him to make the play you need. And so, thanks but no thanks, he isn't worth that much.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least you stopped pimping up Austin Jackson.

Didn’t understand that hype at all.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
We didn’t let Boldin go he didn’t want to be here. He was very jealous of Fitz
Boldin felt he deserved a contract extension similar to what Fitz received. He would have settled for less but not dramatically less. I think the Cards made a big mistake letting him go. He was a winner and I’ve always believed those guys are the foundation blocks you build a long term contender around.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Both of you aren't wrong about Humphries maybe not being worth that money. But waiting for Thomas to be there at 8 is what we call in my industry a "hope and pray" strategy.

I know you guys don't want to pay him and say to look elsewhere, but what are your suggestions for elsewhere? Who on this list do you actually like to protect our young QB? https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/left-tackle/

Castonzo is the only one I'd trust. The rest? Nah. If Thomas is off the board at 8 and we don't have DJ, we'll be reaching for a sub-par talent again like we did with Levi Brown, because we'll just have to.

Castonzo is also, what? 32?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, 32, but at least he could potentially hold down the spot through KM's rookie contract. You're right on though.

32 is close to hitting the wall.

It would be a ridiculously stupid idea to trade in a mid tier LT for one who is likely nearing the end.

Castonzo has never been a really good LT.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
32 is close to hitting the wall.

It would be a ridiculously stupid idea to trade in a mid tier LT for one who is likely nearing the end.

Castonzo has never been a really good LT.
I’m not advocating for moving on from Humphries for a free agent, if that’s what you’re driving at. I’d rather keep him. But, I could advocate for a scenario where we franchise him, draft Andrew Thomas, and move on after a year. That'll come down to discussions with Humphries and his agent about the tag. If it led to a protracted holdout, I'd probably blink first.