With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no magic answer. For years people said Seattle doesn't spend money on the OL because Wilson is so good they can spend it on defense. Seattle currently has 3 former 1st rounders on the OL(Brown is out hurt so only 2 are playing). It's been quite common this year to hear Seattles OL is not playing as well this year. They have the situation year after year it seems they plug in a RB and he does well, why, because teams have to account for Wilson so they have 1 less defender against the run often, same reason IMO our run game was good this year especially in the games Kyler ran more.

An elite Wr that can get open allows Kyler to get rid of the ball earlier, he's still going to get hit yes but another year where none of the WR's get open consistently is just IMO going to result in him running more.

I'm still all in on BPA. If you are looking at Lamb or Jeudy against Thomas or Wirfs there's no way I'm convinced the WR's aren't BPA over them. I'm still OK with taking the OL but if you do, you do so realizing you're not doing BPA you're saying we need to improve the OL and hope we get a WR later in the draft who can get open. It's possible, last year alone you had AJ Brown, Metcalf, McLaurin all after the first round.

For my money I think Jeudy is the 3rd best player in the draft behind Young and Okudah, but then I've been wrong on WR's often over the years so it's still not a science.
I really believe you can go Oline and then trade up late in the 1st round and get a really good WR. Now that requires Keim to actually evalute who that might be...

However, Wirfs/Ruggs could be a nice first round combo.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really believe you can go Oline and then trade up late in the 1st round and get a really good WR. Now that requires Keim to actually evalute who that might be...

However, Wirfs/Ruggs could be a nice first round combo.

And what are you doing about your last ranked defense

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think 4 or 5 OLineman will go in round 1.

Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Biadasz (sp?) and maybe Creed Humphrey

Centers keep going higher and higher than I expect and both are end of 1 early 2 type of guys.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1214728571060736003

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
8. Arizona Cardinals
CeeDee Lamb | WR | Oklahoma
This may come as a surprise to some, but even with Jerry Jeudy still on the board, I’m betting Kyler Murry would be able to convince Kliff Kingsbury to make his college teammate the first receiver off the board. Lamb is a complete player who would make an immediate impact.

40. Arizona Cardinals | Prince Tega Wanagho | OT | Auburn

72. Arizona Cardinals | Lamar Jackson | CB | Nebraska

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2020/01/07/2020-nfl-mock-draft-wild-card-playoffs-3-rounds/8/

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going to be fascinating and frustrating... because whoever the Cardinals take, if they stay at #8, they will be passing on a lot of good players who could help immediately. Of course, it's great to know they'll have a lot of good players from whom to choose!

Pondering whom they'll pick and generating mock drafts may be fun, and there's really not much else to do at this point, but it's all kinda moot until we see who the team signs in free agency!

...dave

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And what are you doing about your last ranked defense
In all reality, I believe this is where Keim is going to spend his money in free agency. With no free agency, I still would argue that it is more important to protect Murray, and ensure his growth and success, than worry about patching holes on a defense.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hmm. Is it possible we have another John Ross situation where a WR surpisingly goes top 10?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I am in love with Henry Ruggs.....

I like him the best of the three...……

there, ive said it

I think he is 3/3 for contribution next year, but after a season or two of NFL coaching and strength training, he will be the best

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he runs in the 4.2's at the combine, he is going to go to the Panthers at #7.

Their new coach is all about speed.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I hope Ruggs makes it to #9 in my Dynasty league.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more thought I put into this, I think the Cardinals go WR with the 8th pick. With Murray being the best 1st round pick in Cardinal history, he absolutely positively has to have a legit WR1 to throw to. With his ability to escape sacks, a WR who can create quick separation is more valuable than an OLineman. Yes, we also need defense. But we can get that in FA & subsequent rounds of the draft. There will be a run on WR’s this year. We better get ours in round 1, as their won’t be a 1 afterwards. We can’t fix this team with one offseason. We can be a wild card next year & a real threat in 2021.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The more thought I put into this, I think the Cardinals go WR with the 8th pick. With Murray being the best 1st round pick in Cardinal history, he absolutely positively has to have a legit WR1 to throw to. With his ability to escape sacks, a WR who can create quick separation is more valuable than an OLineman. Yes, we also need defense. But we can get that in FA & subsequent rounds of the draft. There will be a run on WR’s this year. We better get ours in round 1, as their won’t be a 1 afterwards. We can’t fix this team with one offseason. We can be a wild card next year & a real threat in 2021.
I would take Jeudy over Simmons. But not Lamb.

Hopefully we both get what we want!!!

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Take it for what it’s worth, but Gambo recently indicated (before Bama’s bowl game) that if the draft were held now, the Cards FO would go WR at 8 and prefer Jeudy over Lamb. It’s early and direction could change, but he’s usually over the target on these sort of things.

Apologies to all of the OT and Simmons honks.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Maybe so but IF he’s available & the closer the draft approaches the higher Simmons will likely be on the Cards board imo.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them trade up for Simmons, just for his coverage ability. Write it down I said it :mrgreen:
Take it for what it’s worth, but Gambo recently indicated (before Bama’s bowl game) that if the draft were held now, the Cards FO would go WR at 8 and prefer Jeudy over Lamb. It’s early and direction could change, but he’s usually over the target on these sort of things.

Apologies to all of the OT and Simmons honks.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Maybe so but IF he’s available & the closer the draft approaches the higher Simmons will likely be on the Cards board imo.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them trade up for Simmons, just for his coverage ability. Write it down I said it :mrgreen:
Trading up would constitute a tremendous loss of draft capital. For a non-QB, the guy better have one of the highest grades in the history of their scouting department.

Personally..... I think Jeudy should be valued higher than Simmons but would drool over either if we draft them.

Young, Okudah, Jeudy or Simmons - Very Happy.
Lamb - Uneasy but trust the K1/Lamb partnership
Thomas - Cautious optimism drowned out by Keim's complete ineptitude when grading O-Line talent.
Wirfs - Scared
Wills & Brown - Pretty pissed.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Take it for what it’s worth, but Gambo recently indicated (before Bama’s bowl game) that if the draft were held now, the Cards FO would go WR at 8 and prefer Jeudy over Lamb.

Im usually the guy who points out that Gambo does have contacts in the Cards building (really as a function of 98.7 being the flagship station for the Cards)

but this is pure speculation by him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson