Backup Quarterback

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What do you guys want to do at backup QB this year? Hundley is a Free Agent.

Bring back Hundley? A rookie with potential? Case Keenum will be a free agent, and Kliff coached him in college... Is Mariota going to get a starting job somewhere?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'd be good with any of the 3 you mentioned. Hundley did OK for us when he had to, Keenum of course is friends with Kingsbury and Mariotta would probably be a good fit in our offense, like all back up QBs we wouldn't want any of them starting multiple games though

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
There are two thought processes IMO

1) Draft a young guy to develop as draft capital/insurance.
2) Have a veteran back-up that can come in and win games. It looked like Hundley could fill #2.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you guys want to do at backup QB this year? Hundley is a Free Agent.

Bring back Hundley? A rookie with potential? Case Keenum will be a free agent, and Kliff coached him in college... Is Mariota going to get a starting job somewhere?
Let's see who's available, what he'll cost and what our other needs are.

Then develop an action plan. Right now, it's too early (i.e. you might overspend on a QB and pass up an underrated ILB).

PS Can live with Hundley

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Is Mariota going to get a starting job somewhere?

Mariota would be a great option for us but I would be looking for a spot where there is a chance to start (see Tannehil - Titans).

There will be several opportunities out there. Chicago, Chargers, Oakland, Miami, Tampa, and maybe the Panthers.

Pittsburgh is an interesting situation as well. Who knows if Big Ben can recover from his injury.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Let's see who's available, what he'll cost and what our other needs are.

Then develop an action plan. Right now, it's too early (i.e. you might overspend on a QB and pass up an underrated ILB).

PS Can live with Hundley
I mean, that's the point of this conversation... we know who will be available at this point. We can easily assume we're going to pay around what we did for Hundley, that's the going rate for a backup. I mean, Chase Daniel made $6M last season, but that's pretty steep. Stanton made $3.7. Gotta assume we go no higher than $3M.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Mariota is unequivocally the best QB of the three, but I would venture to guess that he wants a chance to start again. If he’s willing to assume a backup role, he’d be a great fit in this offense and a nice insurance policy in case Murray gets hurt.

As for Hundley, there’s a reason that Kliff designed a bunch of exotic runs for him when he was under center, and that’s because he can’t throw the football. If Murray were to go down, we’d be screwed

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mariota is unequivocally the best QB of the three, but I would venture to guess that he wants a chance to start again. If he’s willing to assume a backup role, he’d be a great fit in this offense and a nice insurance policy in case Murray gets hurt.

As for Hundley, there’s a reason that Kliff designed a bunch of exotic runs for him when he was under center, and that’s because he can’t throw the football. If Murray were to go down, we’d be screwed
I mean, it’s not like Mariota can ever since his fibula injury either.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hundley's a winner in that role. 3-4 mill is the right range for a backup QB. I'd take it if I were him. Who else is going to clamber for him? That's like $200,000 per play.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hundley's salary this year was $1,875,000. Why pay him much more, no one else will. Give him a 2 year $4 M contract.

I agree. Hundley is fine. He proved he can move the ball in our offense if needed. He spent a year learning the system and I am confident he could do pretty well in spots starts over the next couple of years.

1/2 the battle with a backup QB is knowing the system not having to completely change the offense if he comes in the game. I would offer him a 2 or 3 year deal at about 2 million per year.

Maybe go 3 years /7 million, and then we have that position locked up. Obviously if something happened that required us to be without Murray for months, we might want to look into another option, but I don't think we can afford to spend "big money" on a backup QB that we hope never plays.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
So does Mariota. He is not a good passer. Got benched because RT is a much better passer.

I’m not high on Marcus but I think he’d be an upgrade over Mitch. Chicago has no draft capital and tons of money invested in their defense. They have very few options. Sometimes a change of scenery works.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Hundley works, seems to get along great with the coach and his teammates, and knows his role. No team can sustain losing their starting QB and all that is asked of a backup is to keep you afloat for about five games max... Hundley appears to be capable of that in this offense :raccoon:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, that's the point of this conversation... we know who will be available at this point. We can easily assume we're going to pay around what we did for Hundley, that's the going rate for a backup. I mean, Chase Daniel made $6M last season, but that's pretty steep. Stanton made $3.7. Gotta assume we go no higher than $3M.
Stanton sucks:D

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be ok with keeping Hundley, but no one knows KK’s offense better than Keenum does. I’m not sure if K1 knows that offense better than Keenum does. God forbid that Murray gets hurt, but Keenum would be the best 2nd stringer we could ever have. I’m not impressed with Mariota as a back up. He’s still looking for a starting gig.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be ok with keeping Hundley, but no one knows KK’s offense better than Keenum does. I’m not sure if K1 knows that offense better than Keenum does. God forbid that Murray gets hurt, but Keenum would be the best 2nd stringer we could ever have. I’m not impressed with Mariota as a back up. He’s still looking for a starting gig.
Keenum last played in Kliff’s offense 9 years ago. I bet it has changed over time in a big way.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I would personally prefer Keenum, as I doubt Hundley's NFL acumen. Keenum is limited athletically, but has had some good spots.

Hundley made some sense this year considering the player profile, I just don't know if I think he's shown enough in the league to really fill in in those spots. I'm surprised by people calling him a gamer or winner.

(And yes, I know I posted the thread, I just like to start neutral and let things develop before answering these days.)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
For a backup QB, as most know, I feel wins are the most important stat.

If your backup is in the game, there is a big issue. If he can produce wins, that is all that he really needs to do.

Hundley has shown enough to prove he can win in this system. Consistently, probably not, as a backup ? So far, so good.

Thus I think you re-sign Brett Hundley and try not to over think it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson