With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
the class isn’t stacked. Only 1LT grades out as a first rounder that’s the opposite of stacked
Agreed. Only 3 deserve conversation for the first IMO.

This draft is super weak on OT talent and it may cause Cards brass to grab Thomas if he is there out of desperation.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This draft is super weak on OT talent and it may cause Cards brass to grab Thomas if he is there out of desperation.

I wouldn’t mind Thomas but if it’s Wirfs I’d be super pissed

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind Thomas but if it’s Wirfs I’d be super pissed
Given that the 3 QB's should all go before us..... I would be pissed as well.

Young
Okudah
Jeudy
Simmons
Thomas
Lamb

That's the 5 we will have left assuming all three QB's go before us. Add Lamb if a QB drops for some strange reason. And that doesn't even include Brown <-- Who I do not like this high.

Taking Wirfs, Wills, etc without a trade back involved would be lunacy to me.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really am not seeing the problem.
Overthinking.

Watch when we pass on Wirfs & he goes on to be a perennial All-Pro while we pick Simmons & he goes on to be a glorified Alec Ogletree.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I wonder do people realize Thomas was pretty bad against LSU?
It's really odd this year.

I went to three different mocks that were updated yesterday after Tua's announcement. All three had Jed Wills to the Giants and Wirfs to the Panthers before us.

For the life of me...... I don't see it at all with Wills. Protecting Tua's blindside is one thing at RT..... But doing it poorly for the most part is just odd to me.

Wirfs & Wills are not top 10 IMO. Thomas is top 3 to 10 material with his ability to run block and anchor in pass pro.

None of the three are the next Pace or Ogden..... but OT from college is what it is at this point and there are only three top prospects. Who knows really.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given that the 3 QB's should all go before us..... I would be pissed as well.

Young
Okudah
Jeudy
Simmons
Thomas
Lamb

That's the 5 we will have left assuming all three QB's go before us. Add Lamb if a QB drops for some strange reason. And that doesn't even include Brown <-- Who I do not like this high.

Taking Wirfs, Wills, etc without a trade back involved would be lunacy to me.

my top 3 would be

Brown
Simmons
Okudah

I think we really need to do something on defense

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's really odd this year.

I went to three different mocks that were updated yesterday after Tua's announcement. All three had Jed Wills to the Giants and Wirfs to the Panthers before us.

For the life of me...... I don't see it at all with Wills. Protecting Tua's blindside is one thing at RT..... But doing it poorly for the most part is just odd to me.

Wirfs & Wills are not top 10 IMO. Thomas is top 3 to 10 material with his ability to run block and anchor in pass pro.

None of the three are the next Pace or Ogden..... but OT from college is what it is at this point and there are only three top prospects. Who knows really.
Thomas tends to look clunky as hell half the time. I wouldn’t trust him being on a island against dynamic pass rushers or deep passing offenses/non quick passing. I like him, but not over Wirfs.

Willis had a bad bowl game, but has been phenomenal otherwise.

I’m not nearly as high on Simmons compared to this board. Especially since zone coverage is a big weakness of his & we tend to play that half the time.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Thomas tends to look clunky as hell half the time. I wouldn’t trust him being on a island against dynamic pass rushers or deep passing offenses/non quick passing. I like him, but not over Wirfs.

Willis had a bad bowl game, but has been phenomenal otherwise.

I’m not nearly as high on Simmons compared to this board. Especially since zone coverage is a big weakness of his & we tend to play that half the time.

Sounds like some similarities to DJ coming out. Either way we need a tackle in the first two days. Relying on Murray or Gilbert is just stupid.

Even though tackles take years to develop the next 10 years are more important for Kyler than just next year. Anyone in mind at #40?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like some similarities to DJ coming out. Either way we need a tackle in the first two days. Relying on Murray or Gilbert is just stupid.

Even though tackles take years to develop the next 10 years are more important for Kyler than just next year. Anyone in mind at #40?

a tackle at 40? No this class is super weak. I’d take the best RB on the board in round 2. A great ground game is also a part of protecting your QB

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
he played really bad in the 4th in his bowl game. I just don’t see it
I saw him lose his edge a bit when the last college game he will ever play before becoming a millionaire was out of reach, and his team was crushing the opposition. I see some dudes skip the game all together. I see some guys play poorly against better competition. I see other guys play well vs better competition. To be frank, I am not basing my first round decisions on an exhibition game.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A significant history on this board has been complaining about the offensive line, bad picks for the offensive line, bad signings, and/or a lack of talent. Here we stand, heading into an offseason where we need to support our promising young QB...and people are complaining about upgrading the offensive line.

At some point, you have to invest assets into this unit, and it can't always be investing 10 mil per year into mediocre OGs.

Is there an argument that other players at 8 might be more talented than Thomas or Wills or Wirfs? Yes.

Does Okudah, Epenesa, Jeudy, and/or Simmons protect Murray? No.

Is Jeudy or Lamb REALLY going to beat the Seattle zone scheme, Richard Sherman, and Jalen Ramsey? No.

Do any of these players matchup vs Clowney, Donald, Fowler, Armstead, Buckner, and Bosa? Nope.

We need to be able to run the ball, and we need to be able to protect our QB for this offense to really work. I would rather gamble on a 2nd round WR than a 2nd round OT.

...But that's just me. Tell me more about how Isaiah Simmons is going to win us games when Murray is knocked out for the season because we couldn't protect him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I like Lucas Niang from TCU a lot. Legit comes from the same exact offense. Would fit in perfectly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A significant history on this board has been complaining about the offensive line, bad picks for the offensive line, bad signings, and/or a lack of talent. Here we stand, heading into an offseason where we need to support our promising young QB...and people are complaining about upgrading the offensive line.

At some point, you have to invest assets into this unit, and it can't always be investing 10 mil per year into mediocre OGs.

Is there an argument that other players at 8 might be more talented than Thomas or Wills or Wirfs? Yes.

Is Jeudy or Lamb REALLY going to beat the Seattle zone scheme, Richard Sherman, and Jalen Ramsey? No.

Do any of these players matchup vs Clowney, Donald, Fowler, Armstead, Buckner, and Bosa? Nope.

We need to be able to run the ball, and we need to be able to protect our QB for this offense to really work. I would rather gamble on a 2nd round WR than a 2nd round OT.

...But that's just me. Tell me more about how Isaiah Simmons is going to win us games when Murray is knocked out for the season because we couldn't protect him.

How many of the games this year would be have been in, or hell, even won if we had someone covering the TE? We could easily have won 2-4 more games if we weren't gashed by a TE in 10 of our games.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don't know enough to discern the fine details separating Andrew Thomas, Tristan Wirfs or Jed Wills. I would be totally ok with the Cards taking any of them at #8.

Combined with signing Humphries and Murray -- Cardinals would actually be in a spot where one injury to a tackle doesn't mean finding someone off the waiver wire to start that weekend.

I really like Simmons, think highly of all three WRs at the top (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs) and would be ok with Derrick Brown too.

I think #8 is a high floor spot: even Keim will pick a good player -- its just a question of if he will pick the very best player amongst the 4-5 he will likely choose from.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw him lose his edge a bit when the last college game he will ever play before becoming a millionaire was out of reach, and his team was crushing the opposition. I see some dudes skip the game all together. I see some guys play poorly against better competition. I see other guys play well vs better competition. To be frank, I am not basing my first round decisions on an exhibition game.

lol

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can understand your thinking and it’s sound. So hard to debate who we should pick at #8. There are several roads to chose. If we were to sign RT Conklin it changes which way me might go. If we sign Littleton that would also change our thinking.

I don’t think we can fill all our needs this year. Invest heavily in the defense in free agency and go offense in the draft or vice-versa. Either way make one side of the ball elite.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How many of the games this year would be have been in, or hell, even won if we had someone covering the TE? We could easily have won 2-4 more games if we weren't gashed by a TE in 10 of our games.
Great so next year we can cover the TE, but Murray gets knocked out of two+ games because we can't protect him OR he can';t develop good habits because we can't protect him.

Ensuring the long-term success of a rookie/2nd year QB should always be priority 1. If you can't find a way to cover TEs without taking Simmons at #1, we need a new defensive coordinator.

Once we spend 50 mil on a RT in free agency, I am more than happy to discuss other first round options.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great so next year we can cover the TE, but Murray gets knocked out of two+ games because we can't protect him OR he can';t develop good habits because we can't protect him.

Ensuring the long-term success of a rookie/2nd year QB should always be priority 1. If you can't find a way to cover TEs without taking Simmons at #1, we need a new defensive coordinator.

Once we spend 50 mil on a RT in free agency, I am more than happy to discuss other first round options.

If Kyler has shown anything, he has shown he doesn't take hard hits. I can think of only one really hard hit, all season long.

With that said, you do have a good point about the bad habits. I did see that from him this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no magic answer. For years people said Seattle doesn't spend money on the OL because Wilson is so good they can spend it on defense. Seattle currently has 3 former 1st rounders on the OL(Brown is out hurt so only 2 are playing). It's been quite common this year to hear Seattles OL is not playing as well this year. They have the situation year after year it seems they plug in a RB and he does well, why, because teams have to account for Wilson so they have 1 less defender against the run often, same reason IMO our run game was good this year especially in the games Kyler ran more.

An elite Wr that can get open allows Kyler to get rid of the ball earlier, he's still going to get hit yes but another year where none of the WR's get open consistently is just IMO going to result in him running more.

I'm still all in on BPA. If you are looking at Lamb or Jeudy against Thomas or Wirfs there's no way I'm convinced the WR's aren't BPA over them. I'm still OK with taking the OL but if you do, you do so realizing you're not doing BPA you're saying we need to improve the OL and hope we get a WR later in the draft who can get open. It's possible, last year alone you had AJ Brown, Metcalf, McLaurin all after the first round.

For my money I think Jeudy is the 3rd best player in the draft behind Young and Okudah, but then I've been wrong on WR's often over the years so it's still not a science.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score

If Thomas drops to 8, u don't pass him up

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

HGC

All Star
Reaction score

Someone should forward this to Keim

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the class isn’t stacked. Only 1LT grades out as a first rounder that’s the opposite of stacked

I disagree. I think there will be 4-5 OTs taken in the first round.

Thomas, Words, Wills, Jackson, and possibly Leatherwood

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. I think there will be 4-5 OTs taken in the first round.

Thomas, Words, Wills, Jackson, and possibly Leatherwood

jackson is a major project at best he’s super raw and leatherwood is a 2nd/3rd round type.