Quick Thought on WRs

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s accurate to say this draft has a deep receiver pool. Therefore several people have suggested waiting until after round 1 to get a potential number one WR. The problem with that thinking is there is a league-wide concern about a WR shortage. That will almost certainly result in a run on WRs. If the Cards wait until even pick 40 they may find themselves looking at the 13th best receiver. The pool isn’t so deep that strategy is likely to produce a number one receiver.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It’s accurate to say this draft has a deep receiver pool. Therefore several people have suggested waiting until after round 1 to get a potential number one WR. The problem with that thinking is there is a league-wide concern about a WR shortage. That will almost certainly result in a run on WRs. If the Cards wait until even pick 40 they may find themselves looking at the 13th best receiver. The pool isn’t so deep that strategy is likely to produce a number one receiver.
Yeah IMO at the very most they could trade back a little ways to get the guy they want, but to me the clear two best are going to go in the top 10.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I think its the same with OT's. Light on LT's but deep with OT in general.

RB seems solid into Rd 3.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If 12 (30%) of the top 40 picks in the draft end up being WR, the Cardinals are in a really good place. I would expect at least 3 QBs in the top 40 as well. That gives us two top 25 non-wr/non-QB players to select from. It gets even better if you believe 1 or two RBs get drafted in that same span.

The Cardinals will need to wait and see how it plays out and not panic. I don't think a WR in round 1 helps Murray's development more than time to throw in the pocket. Or even a defense that can keep the game close.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
When is the last time that many WRs went in the first 40 picks? It seems WR is going the way of RB--teams seem to think they can find talent in later rounds. Only 2 WRs went in the first last year and the first one wasn't until #25. Round 2 is where the run on them started.

2018 only had 2 1st round WRs and the first one didn't go until #24
2017 had 3 in the top 10 and then no more until the second round

Seems to be the first round is where teams tend to look for DB, LB, OL and DL talent (if they have a QB in place) more than anything else.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb just makes too much sense:

• He is an elite WR with size, speed, hands, routes and RAC.
  • He is already on the same page with Kyler Murray
  • He will understand the terminology of the offense that Kliff installed and will be able to hit the ground running as a rookie.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
CeeDee Lamb just makes too much sense:

• He is an elite WR with size, speed, hands, routes and RAC.
  • He is already on the same page with Kyler Murray
  • He will understand the terminology of the offense that Kliff installed and will be able to hit the ground running as a rookie.

He doesn’t have great size. I’m guessing 6’2” 190 without blazing speed. Everything else I agree with and think he’s automatic production from day one just not a #1 WR.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He doesn’t have great size. I’m guessing 6’2” 190 without blazing speed. Everything else I agree with and think he’s automatic production from day one just not a #1 WR.
I suspect he will be about 200 lbs at the combine and run about a 4.4. Enough size and speed to be a #1 IMO.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree! Without a legit 1 on our roster, the Cardinals need to draft one at 8. Murray is the best 1st round pick in Cardinal history. It would be foolish not to give him a WR1 next.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Harry how many legit #1's are in this draft beside Jeudy and Lamb?

Do you see any other of the top 10 WR's likely making that leap?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be very surprised.

He looks 4.5 on tape at best.
My prediction is he does not run at combine but runs at pro day where it is downhill and short. :devil:

Oklahoma guys don't run @ combine.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harry how many legit #1's are in this draft beside Jeudy and Lamb?

Do you see any other of the top 10 WR's likely making that leap?

Juedy and Lamb are good but neither are Fitz, Julio or Megatron. I see more Amari Cooper types in this draft at WR no real stars

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Juedy and Lamb are good but neither are Fitz, Julio or Megatron. I see more Amari Cooper types in this draft at WR no real stars
Generational talents, no. But there will be more than capable #1's. Offenses these days prefer to spread the wealth more. The most effective one's do anyway. But you need the threat of an outside game breaker. We don't have it. You saw how drastically the Bengals fell off without Green this year?!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Generational talents, no. But there will be more than capable #1's. Offenses these days prefer to spread the wealth more. The most effective one's do anyway. But you need the threat of an outside game breaker. We don't have it. You saw how drastically the Bengals fell off without Green this year?!

green wasn’t the only reason the bengals fell off that whole team was horrible

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Guys, check out Mitch's article on ROTB, about the Colorado WR, Shenault. I admit that I've never heard of him, but in his "highlight" video, he impressed me more than Lamb. He's bigger, not a body catcher, and maybe faster. We'll see how he does at the combine.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we should stick with a BPA approach.

Reasoning: With injuries the rule rather than the exception - when it comes to depth, "no position is safe."

Our soundest strategy is to build the strongest possible 53-man active roster and put on the field, the 11 guys who can best help our team.

Drafting for need will usually get you in trouble (because the position you thought was heavy in talent will often get decimated by a rash of injuries of various descriptions).

One exception (though some would say he was our BPA) - drafting Murray at QB (because the moves to bring in KK and KM involved a biblical change in the team's offensive scheme, structure, culture etc.).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Guys, check out Mitch's article on ROTB, about the Colorado WR, Shenault. I admit that I've never heard of him, but in his "highlight" video, he impressed me more than Lamb. He's bigger, not a body catcher, and maybe faster. We'll see how he does at the combine.
Shenault is what the Cardinals hope Kirk can become.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chopper, this guy is MUCH bigger than Kirk. I just don't know how good he is, but on his highlight video, he looked VG.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
green wasn’t the only reason the bengals fell off that whole team was horrible
With both Green and Mixon out that offense had nothing that opposing D's couldn't stop.

The D then really struggled because of it.

Us squeezing out a W on Murrays back broke theirs. They tanked it, benching Dalton for a rook soon after.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Chopper, this guy is MUCH bigger than Kirk. I just don't know how good he is, but on his highlight video, he looked VG.

Hes not talking about size, hes talking about skill set.

Kirk catches screens and is a target for jet sweeps. Shenault is a monster at those types of plays.

Shenault could also be another Cordarelle Patterson....phenomenal athlete who isnt a natural WR. Shenault isnt used like a typical outside WR at Colorado.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hes not talking about size, hes talking about skill set.

Kirk catches screens and is a target for jet sweeps. Shenault is a monster at those types of plays.

Shenault could also be another Cordarelle Patterson....phenomenal athlete who isnt a natural WR. Shenault isnt used like a typical outside WR at Colorado.
Bryan Edwards from South Carolina is a similar player as well, but Shenault is more of a monster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA