OT: Tua declares for draft

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife just suffered a proximal fracture of the humerus. I immediately used my network to communicate with some of the best Orthos around. There are odd similarities to Tua’s injury. In Tua case the leg came free without breaking the top of the bone. The big concern with my wife’s injury and his is the blood supply to the bone. In both cases it’s unknown if it’s been impaired. It takes about 8 weeks to be confident it hasn’t. If it has then the bone end literally dies. My wife would need a shoulder replacement. Tua would need a new hip. If all goes well, there may be no impairment. I’m more concerned about my wife but hopefully both recoveries go well.

Well wishes for her!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
My wife just suffered a proximal fracture of the humerus. I immediately used my network to communicate with some of the best Orthos around. There are odd similarities to Tua’s injury. In Tua case the leg came free without breaking the top of the bone. The big concern with my wife’s injury and his is the blood supply to the bone. In both cases it’s unknown if it’s been impaired. It takes about 8 weeks to be confident it hasn’t. If it has then the bone end literally dies. My wife would need a shoulder replacement. Tua would need a new hip. If all goes well, there may be no impairment. I’m more concerned about my wife but hopefully both recoveries go well.

Sorry to hear that Harry, hope your wife recovers completely without the complications.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
On Earth 2 -- the Cardinals are drafting at #8 after another disappointing season, one where Josh Rosen made no progress, but the Cardinals and Coach Adam Gase won 5 games on the strength of its defense led by Chandler Jones and Nick Bosa.

so as fans of the Cardinals on Earth2: Should the Cardinals take Tua if he is there at #8?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
with the way the rules in the NFL protect the QB, you can argue he’ll be less an injury risk going forward.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he gets cleared he will probably be a top 8 pick, why top 8? Because: Cinci, Detroit, Miami, Chargers, Carolina(if Camster is traded and @ the moment it looks like that), Colts, Denver and New England need a new QB. And Jets, Jaguars and Raiders could look for one.

And for now, Miami can draft Herbert or Tua, because Burrows goes to Cinci. So if, and just if Miami doesn't draft Tua or Herbert @5, because Panthers aren't looking for a QB because Cam Newton stays, they need to get the pick before the Jacksonville Jaguars, since they themself are in search for a real Franchise QB and Tua is looked as one. So the only team that could trade are the Panthers or the Cards if Newton stays in Carolina.

Cards and Carolina would need to get #18 the one of Houston(#25-32) and next years #1 to get it done, maybe even a 2nd rounder (only by points). So or we get a great player because there are 3 QB selected before us or we get a howl of draft picks and maybe some good players.

If Jon Gruden falls in love with Tua and he makes it to us, he probably will trade #12 + #19 + #80 for #8.

And if we don't trade, Tua entering the draft only made the #8 pick that more valuable, since so or so someone will draft him in the top 7 or try to trade in after Burrows and Herbert are gone.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Interesting that his lack of height hasn't been a topic. Times have changed.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unfortunatley I don't think there is much of a chance that the Jags will take a Qb. Minshew looked to promising, and they are paying Foles a ton. That eliminates the urgent need for a team to jump them and trade up with us.

I still like my dream scenario:

Herbert makes it to #8. BA learns his lesson about waiting around for a QB and calls us up.

#8 + Patrick Peterson + David Johnson (he is part of the deal to dump his salary) for #14, #76, and Mike Evans!!

We lose Peterson, but I am 95% sure we are going to lose him for nothing after next season. His play was down, and he is going to demand BIG money from the Cards, or he is going to walk and test FA. He has waffled on wanting to be here anyway, so lets make the decision for him.

We get out of DJ's contract, which at this point is the best we can hope for.

We move down to #14, where we could still get someone like Wirfs, Gross-Matos, Kinlaw, Delpit....or maybe even Lamb or Jeudy if they slip.

We also get maybe the best WR in the NFL? A matchup nightmare, and the EXACT type of WR we are lacking. A true #1 on the outside, big, physical. And he's 26 and locked up for 4 more years!! Even if Fitz doesn't come back, we have Evans, Kirk, and One of the 2nd year guys as a solid set of starters.

Tampa Bay does it because they get their QBOTF in Herbert (there is talk of them looking at Brady if he becomes a FA)...they get an upgrade at RB, at least in BA's eyes, and they get a Pro-Bowl CB...and their pass defense was atrocious.

They also get a big contract off the books, that this coaching staff didn't sign....and they will still have Godwin as their #1 WR.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He's 6'1. And a legit 6'1, with enormous hands. Not "we doubt he's as tall as being reported" 6'1. I don't think times have really changed at all.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatley I don't think there is much of a chance that the Jags will take a Qb. Minshew looked to promising, and they are paying Foles a ton. That eliminates the urgent need for a team to jump them and trade up with us.

Herbert makes it to #8. BA learns his lesson about waiting around for a QB and calls us up.

#8 + Patrick Peterson + David Johnson (he is part of the deal to dump his salary) for #14, #76, and Mike Evans!!

We lose Peterson, but I am 95% sure we are going to lose him for nothing after next season. His play was down, and he is going to demand BIG money from the Cards, or he is going to walk and test FA. He has waffled on wanting to be here anyway, so lets make the decision for him.

We move down to #14, where we could still get someone like Wirfs, Gross-Matos, Kinlaw, Delpit....or maybe even Lamb or Jeudy if they slip.

We also get maybe the best WR in the NFL? A matchup nightmare, and the EXACT type of WR we are lacking. A true #1 on the outside, big, physical. And he's 26 and locked up for 4 more years!! Even if Fitz doesn't come back, we have Evans, Kirk, and One of the 2nd year guys as a solid set of starters.

Tampa Bay does it because they get their QBOTF in Herbert (there is talk of them looking at Brady if he becomes a FA)...they get an upgrade at RB, at least in BA's eyes, and they get a Pro-Bowl CB...and their pass defense was atrocious.

They also get a big contract off the books, that this coaching staff didn't sign....and they will still have Godwin as their #1 WR.
BA won’t want to deal with a rookie QB.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

He's 6'1. And a legit 6'1, with enormous hands. Not "we doubt he's as tall as being reported" 6'1. I don't think times have really changed at all.

From 2018 - How rare? In the last 30 years, NFL teams selected 69 quarterbacks in the first round. Only four were listed at 6-1 or shorter: UCLA’s Cade McNown (6-1, 1999), Virginia Tech’s Michael Vick (6-0, 2001), Florida’s Rex Grossman (6-1, 2003) and Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel (6-0, 2014).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...ight-will-not-be-a-disqualifier/#7950a2992ef2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ide-nfls-newfound-embrace-short-quarterbacks/

If you really don't see that shorter QB's have broken a barrier in the NFL...that is on you.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
From 2018 - How rare? In the last 30 years, NFL teams selected 69 quarterbacks in the first round. Only four were listed at 6-1 or shorter: UCLA’s Cade McNown (6-1, 1999), Virginia Tech’s Michael Vick (6-0, 2001), Florida’s Rex Grossman (6-1, 2003) and Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel (6-0, 2014).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidc...ight-will-not-be-a-disqualifier/#7950a2992ef2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ide-nfls-newfound-embrace-short-quarterbacks/

If you really don't see that shorter QB's have broken a barrier in the NFL...that is on you.
I pulled the numbers back when Kyler was being considered for the draft, and short QBs have still been drafted, just not as high. 6'1 hasn't really been as much of a barrier to guys. When you start getting to 6'0 (on a good day) and shorter, height is still a factor and not many guys have shown success. Teams aren't suddenly throwing conventional wisdom out the window and drafting sub 6'0 guys in droves.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drew Brees UFA might pique Bruce's interest.Saints have QB contract problems with Brees and Ted Bridgewater UFA while Tyasom Hill is RFA.
Very interesting. I don’t see Brees leaving Payton but if he went to Tampa they may be considered a very dangerous team.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Classic Cardinal curse:

If we draft him, he'll reside on IR forever.

If we pass on him, he'll become the next Johnny U.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

This is wrong on so many levels, look, relook what the value of the #8 pick is, than evaluate what Evans would be worth if other top WR were only worth a top #20 pick and than resess your trade. But please, don't forget that only Herbert is a somewhat typical BA QB and that Herbert is going higher than Tua and will not be there at #8