Drafting Andy Isabella over D.K. Metcalf... Damn!

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wanted Metcalf bad, when we drafted Isabella I’m like WHO? I thought DK had a high ceiling and was worth the pick at the time. Steve Keim dropped the ball here. He needs to evaluate where the flaws are in the system that rated Isabella higher than Metcalf.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
K2 told Bidwill that Isabella "makes us better right away" in that behind the scenes draft video. That did not happen. I was screaming for DK Metcalf after the Rosen trade, and others here were too. It's a joke how bad the organization is at drafting. And don't give me K1 as a ballsy pick. He was the obvious choice to me and others here, as well as the consensus pick on draft sites.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
oh my God

8 WR were drafted ahead of him. Why? Because he wasn’t good in college that’s why. There’s your explanation dude. That’s the bottom line he wasn’t a good player. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane that’s a saying that’s been around the NFL for a long long time.

it’s very rare a player doesn’t produce in college and does in the NFL.

People get millions of dollars to figure that out.

We want our team to be better than others, not justify why they fail eith the rest of them.

You know who knew better? Seattle.

You know who is in the playoffs every year, even after losing the Legion of Boom? Seattle.

To beat Seattle our front office has to be better than Seattle

They are not, and thst needs to change.

As for the "if they are not a good player in college"...........IF ISABELLA WAS GREAT IN COLLEGE HE WOULD HAVE BEEN AT A BIG TIME, FOOTBALL FACTORY OF A UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!

Guy cannot even get on the same college field as Metcalf.....seriously.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Yup... If Isabela turns into a good WR moving forward this thread won’t age well.
I hope it does not age well.

Some care about the team being better a hell of a lot more than being right.

PLENTY of threads have aged VERY well around here unfortunately, tho.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread so excuse if someone else said this. Collinsworth kept bragging yesterday "I had DK rated 7th overall in the whole draft on my board I was shocked when he was there in the 2nd round." What he didn't say is his site had Isabella as a first rounder, top 30 maybe even higher and were thrilled when we picked him, over DK Metcalf.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a PFF story an interview with Isabella from Feb before the draft. He was talking about how frustrating playing the slot at the Senior bowl was, but it was a learning experience. And he said his goal was to be a big play guy, OBJ, Tyreek Hill at the NFL level. he wanted to show teams he could play outside not have to move to the slot because of his size.

So to reiterate, Keim and KK drafted a guy who played outside in college, was recruited as a RB, and who admitted he was "frustrated" trying to play slot at the Senior Bowl, and they drafted him to play out of the slot, and they expected him to contribute right away coming from a small school? I hope he figures it out but even the PFF guys, who loved him, said things we've all seen. Doesn't run good routes, he himself said that's teh problem with the slot you can't just use your speed you have to run great routes. Couldn't get off the press well, even PFF said that's true but when guys come up to get him and miss, he's going to beat them deep. That happend a few times but not many. And one guy, who had him in the first round, said "his catch radius is about as small as you ever see in the NFL" but then claimed it was the new trend in the NFL?

I hope he gets better, but here's a guy we took that high and in Feb before the draft he said he was willing to play anywhere in the NFL, outside, slot, RB, and in another interview he said some NFL teams had in fact told him they were seeing him as a possible RB, a 3rd down RB type guy.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for your response but I feel like you completely missed the point of my post. My question is what exactly went into Keim and the Cardinals (who took a player at the same position 2 spots ahead of Metcalf, not any other teams) grading Isabella out higher than Metcalf and that I feel like we “deserve” to get the real answer to that question given the man that made that decision was retained.

We "deserve" an answer?? That's almost laughable. We can rightly criticize a pick, but I don't see anyone in the FO who will give you an answer as to why we drafted Isabella over Metcalf. Let's wait another year before we crown Metcalf as a Messiah.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve been wrong about DK and would take him over Isabella and Murphy in hindsight but he’s playing with arguably the best QB in the league. Diontae Thompson and Terry McLaurin are putting up better numbers in that situation.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I’ve been wrong about DK and would take him over Isabella and Murphy in hindsight but he’s playing with arguably the best QB in the league. Diontae Thompson and Terry McLaurin are putting up better numbers in that situation.

We could have had AJ Brown and DK Metcalf. The way Murphy played at the end of the year I’d trade Murphy and Andy for AJ and DK. What could have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah he still can't run routes and he drops too many balls but he's a huge threat with the size and speed combo. Agreed though there are other WR's in the same situation who would have done better, but still looks like a huge miss by us so far. I guess the argument is they drafted Isabella to be in the slot so they thought slot was a bigger need than outside. DK is an outside guy.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would say, step back and stay calm. That Seattle wanted Metcalf was even hinted by Pete Caroll.

But to an other point, some of the GM's and Scouts in the league (and I have only conections to one guy) told this guy that is a scout too, that DK Metcalf is Kelvin Benjamin Part Deux.

This guy has the same warts and the same problems around him, and will probably, if not handled better (if that is even possible), end up like Kelvin Benjamin.

So Seattle wanted a guy that will produce now the next 2-3 years and then fall off of a cliff, because they need a cheap WR now. But long term Metcalf was thought to be no solution, therefor many passed on him and took 8 WR before him.

That is why we took Isabella and not Metcalf. With a rookie QB a WR like Metcalf wouldn't have produced, even BB didn't think of him producing well with Brady. So can we stop harassing Isabella, Buttler and KJ and wait another 1-2 years if they improve/develope.

Don't hyprerbole at everything. Thanks

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes there are cases of being the smartest dummy in the room. This is one of those cases. There was zero, and I mean zero reason to take Andy over DK. I don't give a damn about speed (although at times I do) but this was a no-brainer and we tried to be too damn crafty for our own good, thinking we pulled one over on the league. Andy may be pretty good next year (he better be!) and he produced more than DK in college, but for the type of receiver we needed who has the potential with coaching and scheming to be an entire problem for the opposition for years in a Cardinal uniform we flat out blew it. He was the best player on the field yesterday by a long shot. I was screaming at the screen when he was available. For crying out loud, Fitz all but welcomed the man to Arizona in that damn futures commercial! This is one of the things that got me off to a bad start with KK. SMDH!

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a discussion we're having in the playoffs thread, and I think @SoonerLou did a good job of addressing the issue...

...It's not just DK Metcalf. It's AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Terry McLaurin, Darius Slayton, etc. that are really wild misses at this point.

I can accept taking a shot at a small school kid sometimes. What I struggle with is taking a guy who doesn't seem to have a place to fill on your roster. Both Fitz and Kirk play there, and we had already discussed the need to find outside players. At the time, we thought maybe Kevin White could play the role, if you're an optimist.

Nearly everyone said "who?" when we picked Isabella. Even his highlights weren't that amazing. It's not so much that we didn't take Metcalf, but we took someone who looked like he'd be around in the 4th.
But to be fair, you have to factor Butler into the process.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I read a PFF story an interview with Isabella from Feb before the draft. He was talking about how frustrating playing the slot at the Senior bowl was, but it was a learning experience. And he said his goal was to be a big play guy, OBJ, Tyreek Hill at the NFL level. he wanted to show teams he could play outside not have to move to the slot because of his size.

So to reiterate, Keim and KK drafted a guy who played outside in college, was recruited as a RB, and who admitted he was "frustrated" trying to play slot at the Senior Bowl, and they drafted him to play out of the slot, and they expected him to contribute right away coming from a small school? I hope he figures it out but even the PFF guys, who loved him, said things we've all seen. Doesn't run good routes, he himself said that's teh problem with the slot you can't just use your speed you have to run great routes. Couldn't get off the press well, even PFF said that's true but when guys come up to get him and miss, he's going to beat them deep. That happend a few times but not many. And one guy, who had him in the first round, said "his catch radius is about as small as you ever see in the NFL" but then claimed it was the new trend in the NFL?

I hope he gets better, but here's a guy we took that high and in Feb before the draft he said he was willing to play anywhere in the NFL, outside, slot, RB, and in another interview he said some NFL teams had in fact told him they were seeing him as a possible RB, a 3rd down RB type guy.
Great breakdown.
I actually think Keim/Kliff had the right idea...

They were going to double dip at WR (end of round 2 and top of the 3rd round)

It just so happens for 2019 at least they had the wrong wrs in mind. Could have possibly taken McLaurin and Johnson. Metcalf and McLaurin, etc

I think it was just assumed that Isabella would work in the slot eventually. Even Kliff admitted that moving him around so much hurt his development.

I think Butlers production + Kliff seeing him a few years favored him over Metcalf.

I'm still hopeful for Andy/Butler...
Just hoping they take the Jeudy/Lamb talk personal. Get the working and make the team think about drafting an Olineman instead.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The best part of your post is re: paying fans

do you deserve more? Yes absolutely, will you ever get it NO, never...and that’s why I quit my season tickets after 22 years. I realize they don’t care 1 iota bout the spending fan than they do the TV fan. So,I saved over $5,000 in tickets,gas and food not going this season. Did I miss it? Not 1 bit. Thought I would...really thought I would, but I didnt, not at all.
Watching it on tv is good

My advice: quit paying - makes losing a lot easier...A LOT EASIER

regarding Andy I - dude made plays every time he touched the ball. Why he wasn’t used is beyond me.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Man if you guys have heard the banter from Seahawk fans this year with Metcalf's 'spectacular' season, every time he also dropped a duh easy catch... the same hang up Butler had coming into the draft :)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
AJ Brown was the bigger miss. I remember seeing him the year before he was draft eligible and touting him as the Cards 1st rounder when he was in the draft. Of course, I didn’t know they’d have the #1 overall but they could’ve had him.

Any scout that had Isabella with a higher grade than Brown or MCLaurin should probably be selling insurance or in another line of work.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man if you guys have heard the banter from Seahawk fans this year with Metcalf's 'spectacular' season, every time he also dropped a duh easy catch... the same hang up Butler had coming into the draft :)
Metcalf was and still is flawed. I just think the Seahawks are good with that. They work round him flaws. Experience is his best bet.

A part of me wonders if we drafted Metcalf if we still would have had KJ ahead of him based on route running. Probably would took some weeks to realize we gotta just put him out there.

Again there's a lot Kliff didn't know about the NFL until he experienced it. A lot of 10 personnel to start the season...that had to be scrapped. He eventually found out that yea "scheme" doesn't overcome big physical athletes making plays.

I think he would have handled Butler differently if he had him active.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the world would be such a better place if people could just say "Yup. Blew that one!" and move on.

the fact that there are 5 pages here is ridiculous in light of what's actually happened on the field.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
the world would be such a better place if people could just say "Yup. Blew that one!" and move on.

the fact that there are 5 pages here is ridiculous in light of what's actually happened on the field.
Yup: 8/8

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave