Credit Where Credit Is Due

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m no SK fan but in retrospect trading your franchise first round QB a year after drafting him at #10 for a 5’10” QB with 1 year of starting experience took serious cahonas. Not many would do that and it turned out to be the right move. That’s why there was never any risk of SK losing his job. This move will define his tenure and if he lucks into some successful FAs and draft picks this offseason and this team finds success over the next two years we will forget just how bad his draft history has been and he will be an Executive of the year candidate in the not to distant future. Like I said, I’m no SK fan but fortunes can change quickly.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I wanted Murray. But I also knew it’s was taking 2 steps back taking another QB and missing out on a player like Bosa. But it was the right move. Now need to build the D

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It took cajones and it looks to have been a good move, but there's a lot of stacked ifs right there.

The rest of his draft class was pretty awful - Murphy had streaky play, and no one but the Thompson Twins otherwise even really showed up to play at all.

This team is still extremely talent-poor, especially with talent under the age of 25, where we barely have anyone. Keim's going to have to pump a lot of this money into free agents just to find guys that can start, much less be upgrades, making our "cheap QB contract" a lot less alluring.

I just don't trust him steering the ship.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will look like a genius if he is smart enough to stack this defense in the draft and free agency. Need to add 4 starters to this defense. Isiah Simmons would be an outstanding start.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate, maybe SK should never have put the team in the position of drafting 2 1st RD QBs in back to back years....(it's all water under the bridge tho so i don't care much lol)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate, maybe SK should never have put the team in the position of drafting 2 1st RD QBs in back to back years....(it's all water under the bridge tho so i don't care much lol)
I hate Keim but outside of Dak Prescott, every QB he had the opportunity to draft sucked.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It takes ENORMOUS cajones for BOTH the owner and GM to blow up a new coach AND new QB. They went in a whole different direction as an organization. They were not immune to the pot shots everyone was taking for them doing it. However, that team two seasons ago was historically bad! It NEEDED to be blown up!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would have liked to see BA get a chance to develop an actual starting quality QB that we drafted...no Logan Thomas or Ryan Lindley. Imagine how different that run from 2014-2017 could have been if our backup and eventual starter was Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater. To me, that draft in 2014....trading down and taking Buchannon when you had both Bridgewater and Carr staring you in the face while having no young QB talent on the roster is Keims most damning move.

I think had Carr had a coach like BA, and a year or two to sit behind Palmer...he might be a top 10 QB in the NFL to this day.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He will look like a genius if he is smart enough to stack this defense in the draft and free agency. Need to add 4 starters to this defense. Isiah Simmons would be an outstanding start.
Completely agree. FA should be defense focused and the draft needs to get two starters in rounds 1-2, one for each side of the ball. Rest of the draft BPA / need

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He didnt make the opportunity.

If he really liked Watson, he should have traded up to get him.
We had a thread about this not too long ago. I fought a long time in it. Feel free to take a look, but he never had a realistic opportunity.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We had a thread about this not too long ago. I fought a long time in it. Feel free to take a look, but he never had a realistic opportunity.

Dude you trade up. If you know you need a QB, you dont wait for him.

Palmer was a corpse at the end. Everyone knew the end was extremely nigh.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Dude you trade up. If you know you need a QB, you dont wait for him.

Palmer was a corpse at the end. Everyone knew the end was extremely nigh.
You couldn’t trade up for a reasonable value. The team couldn’t be certain Watson or Mahomes were going to succeed, and they were both panned as “pass for next year” guys. We couldn’t compete against a first round pick.

This nonsense is repeated time and time again - but Keim identified Bortles and Paxton Lynch as top prospects too. You’re only mad because Watson became who he is, but at the time it would have been a dumb move. We moved up for Rosen and it didn’t work too. Waste, waste, waste.

Again, I think Keim is terrible, but trading a first round pick (or that year’s second, whatever), to move up 1-3 spots would have been the dumbest move ever by any GM unless you’re playing revisionist history.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You couldn’t trade up for a reasonable value. The team couldn’t be certain Watson or Mahomes were going to succeed, and they were both panned as “pass for next year” guys. We couldn’t compete against a first round pick.

This nonsense is repeated time and time again - but Keim identified Bortles and Paxton Lynch as top prospects too. You’re only mad because Watson became who he is, but at the time it would have been a dumb move. We moved up for Rosen and it didn’t work too. Waste, waste, waste.

Again, I think Keim is terrible, but trading a first round pick (or that year’s second, whatever), to move up 1-3 spots would have been the dumbest move ever by any GM unless you’re playing revisionist history.
Man I think your logic is so off on all of these counts. But you’re right this has already been hashed.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
What scares me is when the pick we got for rosen comes up and Metcalf is on the board and we take Isabella.

Metcalf just sent the nfl record for most yards during his 1st playoff appearance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m no SK fan but in retrospect trading your franchise first round QB a year after drafting him at #10 for a 5’10” QB with 1 year of starting experience took serious cahonas. Not many would do that and it turned out to be the right move. That’s why there was never any risk of SK losing his job. This move will define his tenure and if he lucks into some successful FAs and draft picks this offseason and this team finds success over the next two years we will forget just how bad his draft history has been and he will be an Executive of the year candidate in the not to distant future. Like I said, I’m no SK fan but fortunes can change quickly.
Change Murray to Luck and Keim to Grigson. See if your logic sticks and, oh, include the fact that Cardinals are not in AFC South but in NFC West.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk