Simmons

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Something just puts me off about Simmons. Idk, I don’t like “tweeners”.
Kuechly was 6'3 242lbs at the combine.
Bowman was 6'0 242lbs
Hicks was 6'1 236lbs
Darius Leonard 6'2 234lbs
Roquan Smith 6'0 230lbs

Simmons is 6'4 and 230lbs according to the googles. The combine may tell a different tale but for now, I'm not sure I would label him as a tweener.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Can you imagine CC on this defense next year? Holy moly.

He probably has 2-3 more years but expect him to start to decline at this point.

15m for 2020.

Jags are in massive cap trouble.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Simmons kind of reminds me of Brian Urlacher coming out of college. Urlacher played safety, but was a big guy who could add weight. I think he added about 15 lbs. in the pros and played linebacker at about 235 or 240. He had crazy good skills and athleticism, like Simmons.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons kind of reminds me of Brian Urlacher coming out of college. Urlacher played safety, but was a big guy who could add weight. I think he added about 15 lbs. in the pros and played linebacker at about 235 or 240. He had crazy good skills and athleticism, like Simmons.
I’d trade up if we knew he was going to turn out like that! Lol.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kuechly was 6'3 242lbs at the combine.
Bowman was 6'0 242lbs
Hicks was 6'1 236lbs
Darius Leonard 6'2 234lbs
Roquan Smith 6'0 230lbs

Simmons is 6'4 and 230lbs according to the googles. The combine may tell a different tale but for now, I'm not sure I would label him as a tweener.

So they were all much more stout than he is. Lightest of the bunch and 4" taller..

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I bet he bulks up a bit for the combine and weighs in at around 240....playing weight somewhere around 235.

He is plenty big enough to play WILB in a 3-4 defense. He is not going to, nor be expected to, fix our run defense. That needs to happen by beefing up our D-Line. Simmons would be brought in to substantially improve our pass defense (mostly against TE's) and be a good situational pass rusher/blitzer.

Simmons is the biggest CYA (cover your a##) player we could bring in on defense....FA or draft. He played almost 1/3 of his snaps at slot corner, and was dang good! I think he could be a double digit sack guy if used in that way. He could be an all-pro SS.

If he checks all the boxes with character and team leadership, he is the guys you bring in on defense to instantly improve the entire unit and make everyone better.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm warming up to the idea of Simmons a lot. We have a long way to go, but he seems like someone who could clean up our issues with TEs and give us a hell of a linebacking corps if we can solve OLB.

I think you can put together a stout rotation of solid DEs/DTs in free agency at a decent price, find a Vic Beasley or Dupree at OLB, and add someone like this to make the defense a positive in the front 7.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Geez... I don’t know . 15 m?
He's gonna get 2 to 3 years at 40 to 45mm on the market is my guess.

Amazing that we think he would come back here after we told him that we didn't think he had 3 years left.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Bringing back Campbell makes a great deal of sense. Jax will almost certainly pass. Their focus is on Ngakoue. Campbell has played inside & out with equal success. He was very solid this year and he likes familiar surroundings. He and Fitz are friends so his return could get both. He’s not the whole answer on the line but it’s a start.

I forgot though about Marcel Dareus -- the Jags can (will) cut him to save $20mm. He will go before Campbell

not sure that solves all their cap problems -- they are currently over the 2020 cap by $1mm as it stands

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Vic Beasley sucks.
lol

When it comes to OLB I'm just kinda throwing names out there. We're gonna sign someone, because we just have to. Who is that and how do they fit into the puzzle of our free agent class? That's a damn good question.

Beasley just strikes me very much as the kind of signing Keim would make.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol

When it comes to OLB I'm just kinda throwing names out there. We're gonna sign someone, because we just have to. Who is that and how do they fit into the puzzle of our free agent class? That's a damn good question.

Beasley just strikes me very much as the kind of signing Keim would make.
I like Matt Judon from Baltimore.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sensible choice, I'm with you too. The only thing that gives me some pause is that Baltimore seems to churn out the next hot OLB free agent every other year, and I never hear from them again.
Za’Darius Smith had 13.5 sacks in the regular season. Not bad. Not mostly coverage sacks either.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Looks like he's closest to Kuechly who's the best of the bunch. An inch taller & 12lbs lighter. I think we could use a taller faster Kuechly.

Except NOBODY has Keuchly’s instincts save maybe Singletary, Ray Lewis, or Urlacher. We should probably cool the comparisons when we’re looking at prime vs potentially choice beef.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except NOBODY has Keuchly’s instincts save maybe Singletary, Ray Lewis, or Urlacher. We should probably cool the comparisons when we’re looking at prime vs potentially choice beef.

the dumb comparisons always make me laugh. It’s like you do realize Luke Keuchly might be the single great college linebacker ever but yeah this guy is tall just like Luke so he reminds me of him lol.

someone compared Mike Pittman jr to Megatron the other day on here

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Looks like he's closest to Kuechly who's the best of the bunch. An inch taller & 12lbs lighter. I think we could use a taller faster Kuechly.
Give him till the draft to gain the 5lbs in muscle.

But whichever way you want to slice it I guess.

Reaction score

Never said he did. Just responding to GGS about the others being stouter. His size was closer to Kuechly is all. No need to jump to conclusions.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
So I just watched cuts from several games (since I don’t watch much college FB), and really like what I see. Granted it’s only highlights and don’t know his role within the context of the Clemson defense, but he’s a very talented athlete. Reminds me more of DWash in terms of size/speed, diagnosis, chasing, coverage/ball skills, blitzing, and tackling.

If we don’t go WR with the 8th pick and he’s there, I’d be tempted for sure. I believe Bluto & Co are likely salivating over him already. Been looking for a capable WILB replacement since Dansberry!

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
So they were all much more stout than he is. Lightest of the bunch and 4" taller..
And hasn't really played ILB except in pass situations he is a tweener. Athletic freak forsure watch how many false steps he takes around line of scrimmage and his play in traffic JMO he is nothing like Urlacher he had the body type to add good weight and strength dont see that with Simmons

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the dumb comparisons always make me laugh. It’s like you do realize Luke Keuchly might be the single great college linebacker ever but yeah this guy is tall just like Luke so he reminds me of him lol.

someone compared Mike Pittman jr to Megatron the other day on here
I see your point but Keuchly wasn’t that great in college. Honestly, if it weren’t for his amazing performance at the combine, he likely wouldn’t have been a top ten pick. At BC he made a lot of tackles five and six yards past the LOS. He was K-9’s least favorite prospect ever lol.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see your point but Keuchly wasn’t that great in college. Honestly, if it weren’t for his amazing performance at the combine, he likely wouldn’t have been a top ten pick. At BC he made a lot of tackles five and six yards past the LOS. He was K-9’s least favorite prospect ever lol.

lol worst take ever. He’s legit might be the best LB ever in college.

Luke Kuechly, Lott award, Butckus award, Lombardi award, ACC defensive player of the year, ACC rookie of the year, 2x All American, 3x all ACC.

I don’t give a damn where your making tackles when you play LB and you get 191 tackles in a college season 102 of which were solo that tells me your pretty much a one man defense. They used him all over the field. You can look at his tape and see him covering WR 20 yards downfield.

he broke his own record from the year before when he had 183 tackles of those 110 were solo. Again ALL OVER THE FIELD.

but yeah he wasn’t in good in college just pretty much the most dominate LB in our lifetime. Smh.

I like Isiah Simmons and would love him here but he ain’t Kuechly not even a little bit.