15 thoughts - Rams game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – How do you get torched by Jared Goff two times in one season? Jared freaking Goff! Really?

2 – Losing by only one score after losing the turnover battle 0-4. That’s actually pretty good.

3 – I always get the impression that Chandler Jones has so much fun on the field. So often he jumps around making happy gestures, smiling, laughing and such.

4 – What a weird atmosphere. I have seen more exciting preseason games stands-wise. L.A. Memorial Library.

5 – I think these last three games show intriguing resistance from Kyler Murray, and really the entire team.

6 – It only takes two more seasons from Fitzgerald before he can potentially beat Jerry Rice’s record for games in a row with a catch, and probably the same to get the record for most overall receptions. Just two more, Fitz.

7 – Last time they played together, Kingsbury and McVay were wearing the same shirt (one of the mandatory from the league), but this time Kingsbury was having none of it, wearing a different shirt that very few coaches usually wear (though I think that is also some league sponsorship-clothes). Great move!

8 – First really bad game by Byron Murphy this season.

9 – Mason Cole has fairly regularly stepped in for either Justin Pugh or J.R. Sweezy in the last four games (I guess because of injuries). Is Cole in the starting lineup full time next season?

10 – The receivers has consistently trouble getting open – and have had for the entire season - which obviously makes the job harder on Kyler Murray. Do you offer a second rounder for Odell Beckham and see if they bite? Do you sign Antonio Brown? I mean, both are headcases, but they are also the two best receivers on the planet. I don’t know if I would do it, but I do think it is worth several thoughts.

11 – Three games in a row with really good run defense.

12 – I have gone back and forth on Justin Murray several times this season. My final conclusion is that he has had a very good season versus the expectations, but not good enough. An upgrade is needed.

13 – I am a little excited about Cassius Marsh. He has stepped up a bit since they released Suggs.

14 – Seriously, where did this Dan Arnold come from? The Saints and Sean Payton miss very, very few effective pass play-players.

15 - I always want to win. It is that simply. But I must also say that this year I haven’t cared that much if they won, because to me, it has been about progress. Everyone knew this was not going to be a great season in terms of wins and losses, but they sure have given me a lot of hope for the future.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1 – How do you get torched by Jared Goff two times in one season? Jared freaking Goff! Really?

2 – Losing by only one score after losing the turnover battle 0-4. That’s actually pretty good.

3 – I always get the impression that Chandler Jones has so much fun on the field. So often he jumps around making happy gestures, smiling, laughing and such.

4 – What a weird atmosphere. I have seen more exciting preseason games stands-wise. L.A. Memorial Library.

5 – I think these last three games show intriguing resistance from Kyler Murray, and really the entire team.

6 – It only takes two more seasons from Fitzgerald before he can potentially beat Jerry Rice’s record for games in a row with a catch, and probably the same to get the record for most overall receptions. Just two more, Fitz.

7 – Last time they played together, Kingsbury and McVay were wearing the same shirt (one of the mandatory from the league), but this time Kingsbury was having none of it, wearing a different shirt that very few coaches usually wear (though I think that is also some league sponsorship-clothes). Great move!

9 – Mason Cole has fairly regularly stepped in for either Justin Pugh or J.R. Sweezy in the last four games (I guess because of injuries). Is Cole in the starting lineup full time next season?

10 – The receivers has consistently trouble getting open – and have had for the entire season - which obviously makes the job harder on Kyler Murray. Do you offer a second rounder for Odell Beckham and see if they bite? Do you sign Antonio Brown? I mean, both are headcases, but they are also the two best receivers on the planet. I don’t know if I would do it, but I do think it is worth several thoughts.

12 – I have gone back and forth on Justin Murray several times this season. My final conclusion is that he has had a very good season versus the expectations, but not good enough. An upgrade is needed.

13 – I am a little excited about Cassius Marsh. He has stepped up a bit since they released Suggs.

14 – Seriously, where did this Dan Arnold come from? The Saints and Sean Payton miss very, very few effective pass play-players.

15 - I always want to win. It is that simply. But I must also say that this year I haven’t cared that much if they won, because to me, it has been about progress. Everyone knew this was not going to be a great season in terms of wins and losses, but they sure have given me a lot of hope for the future.

9 - Absolutely no chance.

10 - I would kick the tires on Odell, but not Brown.

12 - One way or the other, he's not under contract, so we have to do something at the position.

13 - See above. Also not on the roster.

It's tough for me to make any evaluations about this team when so many are not really a part of it as of today.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Gandhi.

#6 yes please

Couple more:

We have ourselves a clutch FG kicker and Lee is still an awesome punter 95% of the time.

I wonder if shoring up the run D leaves the pass D a little more exposed.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
12 - One way or the other, he's not under contract, so we have to do something at the position.

13 - See above. Also not on the roster.

You are obviously right about both, Solar, but I just took for granted that it would be relatively easy to bring back both if they wanted.

Happy new year!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We have ourselves a clutch FG kicker and Lee is still an awesome punter 95% of the time.

Cardiac, I actually thought about including Zane Gonzalez in some way. Good call! It is almost a bit weird to be somewhat comfortable with their kicker, don’t you think?

Happy new year!

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Our OL coach is a good one, imo. So, the draft will tell us what he thinks about JM and MC. If he feels JM isn't good enough, we'll draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd round. MC is at least good enough to back up the interior of the OL.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

1 Goff torched several people last year, decent QB
2 Agree fully
5 ?
8 but a few fairly bad ones. Need another year to call
9 Agility is a plus but must add even more power
10 Hard “No” to both potential added WRs
12 Looks like an adequate backup at best
13 Another decent but not special backup, depends on $
14 Weak blocker, presence indicates likely pass, useful rec
15 Good progress, exciting potential

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

With the way things had gone the last month or so, I thought it would continue that way throughout the season. Especially since Murray is not used to playing this many games. It is quite normal to see rookies struggling a bit late in the season.

8 but a few fairly bad ones. Need another year to call

I disagree, Harry. He has had very bad plays, but I don’t think it has been entire games.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
With the way things had gone the last month or so, I thought it would continue that way throughout the season. Especially since Murray is not used to playing this many games. It is quite normal to see rookies struggling a bit late in the season.

I disagree, Harry. He has had very bad plays, but I don’t think it has been entire games.

2 lost fumbles,2 interceptions-bad game IMHO.i think 7 interceptions the last 4-5 games is cause for concern.Still he had a okay season but IMHO he did not live up to expectations or the hype.that`s not saying he can`t or won`t in the future but IMO he didn`t this season.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
2 lost fumbles,2 interceptions-bad game IMHO.i think 7 interceptions the last 4-5 games is cause for concern.Still he had a okay season but IMHO he did not live up to expectations or the hype.that`s not saying he can`t or won`t in the future but IMO he didn`t this season.
Figures you would be like the only person to hold those fumbles against him...

I have to assume you didn’t see either one because neither of them were his fault.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Is #10 a function of the coaching or is it a function of talent evaluation?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is #10 a function of the coaching or is it a function of talent evaluation?

That’s a very good question, Cardpa. I would say that Kingsbury has a great reputation for optimizing his receivers, and I do think players like Pharoh Cooper and Damiere Byrd has exceeded expectations (at least mine), but then there are players like Andy Isabella and, to a lesser extent, KeeSean Johnson who has so far looked like bad evaluations. It can certainly change, and the two latter is obviously rookies while the other two has been in the league for four seasons. But right now I would say that Kingsbury and the assistants has done the best job with players, that were already on the team when they arrived.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That’s a very good question, Cardpa. I would say that Kingsbury has a great reputation for optimizing his receivers, and I do think players like Pharoh Cooper and Damiere Byrd has exceeded expectations (at least mine), but then there are players like Andy Isabella and, to a lesser extent, KeeSean Johnson who has so far looked like bad evaluations. It can certainly change, and the two latter is obviously rookies while the other two has been in the league for four seasons. But right now I would say that Kingsbury and the assistants has done the best job with players, that were already on the team when they arrived.

I am wondering if the WR selected in the draft were more of Kingsbury's doing? Maybe he underestimated the huge step from college to the pros. I haven't given up on the

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if the WR selected in the draft were more of Kingsbury's doing? Maybe he underestimated the huge step from college to the pros. I haven't given up on the
By what KK said in his Monday press, it sounds like Issabella and Johnson didn’t do the things necessary to get more playing time.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Judging by the reaction right after the draft I would say that Kingsbury was at least highly involved in drafting Isabella and Butler. His reaction in the war room I thought showed how excited he was for Isabella, and the talk after the pick of Butler was how he torched Kingsbury and Texas Tech when they met.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave