Kliff Kingsbury. Your review of him after year one?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Reading this thread is hilarious thinking we all get to judge a guy in a position we will never be in. Sure, he has a lot to learn, but I like what I see, mistakes and all.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’d give him a B-. I loved the way the offense moved when it found its rythym. But like many, the clock management was sometimes head scratching. But I liked the way he seemingly held the team together even through tough times. he still has a ways to go, but think he’ll be ok.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Reading this thread is hilarious thinking we all get to judge a guy in a position we will never be in. Sure, he has a lot to learn, but I like what I see, mistakes and all.
Ah, yeah, can't judge anyone because we didn't go into the esteemed career of football coaching.

The fans here presumably spend a ton of time watching football, and have it as one of our primary hobbies. My football career ended due to a tragic lack of talent, but it doesn't mean we can't express our opinions. If we're not allowed to judge anything, why does this board exist?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I laugh at all of these similar comments. Every play has multiple options, and the QB determines which option is thrown to. Same with the 2 min drill, almost exclusively on the QB.

You can blame Kingsbury for the lack of situational football prep, but he also had an entire scheme to install as well.

People blamed the line until statsbcame out that Murray was taking unnecessary sacks. People blaming the head coach when it might just be the inexperienced QB as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
This is true for a typical drop back pass, but quite a bit of the ones, that I am sure DVontel is talking about, are the ones that are clearly designed to be completed short as in screen plays and things like that.

Also when specifically talking about 3rd down throws that are short I would say it's on the QB if he takes a dump off for instance instead of an available first down throw, but it is usually the receivers fault if his route was just inside the line to gain.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Ah, yeah, can't judge anyone because we didn't go into the esteemed career of football coaching.

The fans here presumably spend a ton of time watching football, and have it as one of our primary hobbies. My football career ended due to a tragic lack of talent, but it doesn't mean we can't express our opinions. If we're not allowed to judge anything, why does this board exist?
That's all true, and sorry about your injury. But, I still think K1 has done well and in spite of my inability to make it to that level, he has.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
B-

I look at the context of the situation. Came in and really turned around the offense. With better talent, I think K2 can run a very explosive, high scoring offense.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is an odd comment considering he’s not the one throwing the passes

Well...I have met someone close to Kyler (100% confirmed) who puts it all on Kilff though Kyler would never say it publicly

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
B- The two minute offense . . it was disappointing considering the " go fast " approach to his scheme. He is smart and learns more every week.
Fourteen games were watchable despite a putrid defense. With an infusion of talent and an off season to sharpen the tools, the future looks bright.
What a kick to the cradle David Johnson is . . Jeez.

This.

Amazing that we seemed to always be in a 2 minute offense, until we absolutely NEEDED to be... When time was a factor against us, it felt more like we were milking the clock.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That's all true, and sorry about your injury. But, I still think K1 has done well and in spite of my inability to make it to that level, he has.
Just so you know, that was a joke. My "tragic lack of talent" just meant I was never all that good at the sport, haha.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 min offense was painful /agonizing /infuriating

B-

Now, can we please build on the small successes and avoid seeing a Chip Kelly type flame out.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I really like What We Saw in KK in his first year.

As a rating I would give him a solid B.

There were clear weaknesses and mistakes made (all described in this thread) over the year.

But these issues were Almost all “experience” issues and not capability issues. Mistakes were corrected. Schemes were adjusted. KK clearly showed me that has the tools and Can be a Very Very Good NFL head coach.

Pure performance wise, he was average. Some Good, some bad. But he showed growth and that gives me a Very positive Outlook on the future, because KK looks the part. Now he just need to get some more experience under his belt and let some of the HC tasks become routine

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
"C" As Solar and a couple others have stated his inability to win at the college level is something that still lingers in the back of my head. He has some very positive traits but I think he also has some significant negatives. A good offensive mind with very little involvement in the defense which is why I think Vance was retained. KK is comfortable with Vance handling the defense so he doesn't need to spend significant time on that side of the ball. I think Klingsbury is quite happy with Vance being the head coach on the defensive side of the ball. I think this is one of those traits that led to his inability to win at the college level. Not enough total involvement with the entire team. Does anyone really think that Belichick isn't just as involved on both sides as well as special teams?

I think Klingsbury is who he, is a good offensive coach (Xs and Os) who as a head coach needs to be surrounded by superior coaching talent at all the other areas.

I'm also not one to buy into the inexperience idea, a two minute drill is a two minute drill no matter what level you coach at, milking the clock with the lead is still about grinding out first downs, red zone offense is still limited by the space you have available to play into. This space doesn't change (depth and width of the field) at any level. Game and clock management is still the same. The seconds on the clock don't get longer or shorter at different levels. If you haven't been able to adjust and get more proficient after multiple years at these things, the odds are you probably not going to get better at it.

I think Klingsbury still struggles with the hash mark positions. I think there are some plays he really wants to run that just don't fit on an NFL field. The wide side isn't the same as the college game.

If Klingsbury ends up not being the answer, then you have the conundrum of what to do with Murray if the new HC comes in with a traditional offensive philosophy which doesn't play to Murray's strengths. Will it be back to the drawing broad at QB?

Back when the search for a new HC was on, there was a lot of chatter on candidates and one of those topics was mentioned many times was this guy hasn't been successful in previous stints as a HC so I really don't want him here or he has no pro experience or he wasn't successful at the college level. The reality is that is exactly what we have now.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
You liked that? That is the worst possible thing I can expect from any coach in football at any level. If your guy says he doesn't feel right to go... don't send him out. Ever.

yes

K1 had an mri that showed a strain -- he wasnt injured.

coaching / leadership is about getting people to places they couldnt get on their own. KK did that.

The worst thing for Kyler and the franchise is if he got a reputation in the locker room for being soft, or, unreliable. As numerous players commented post game: nobody is 100% by week 17, and they appreciated that K1 gutted it up for the final game. Trust me: they were talking to K1 when they said that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would give him a B to B- probably.

I hope he watches every snap of football that the best offenses in the NFL ran for the past 10 years in just February. We need more verticality in our offense.

I remember when BA was hired one of the first things he talked about was being great in situational football. Kliff needs to adapt that.

Once we can protect Kyler longer...... he needs to make more vertical throws.

K2's improvement week over week and his masterful game planning can be really special if we can figure out how to protect Kyler, make more vertical throws, and not look completely lost in the 2-minute drill.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I will agree with a lot of whats been said. This offense looked good a lot of the time, but looked particularly bad in 3rd down, red zone, 4 minute, and 2 minute offense. I'm going to hope that alot of that was growing pains, and we will improve with experience. If those things don't improve, this team will never even come close to reaching their potential .

I would give him a C+

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
C+

Which at this level is not bad. He's got a much steeper learning curve just because this is his first year coaching in the NFL.

Does he learn from his own mistakes?

We shall see.

We will learn a lot more about that next year but there may be seeds of greatness there.

Hope he stays humble and focused.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
2 different grades actually number 1. Continue to go conservative near the goal line C- 2. Ability to change an adjust to the personnel around him strengths and weaknesses A++ in other words This Guy has the Right stuff to be A Winner if he continues to adjust and not lock into HIS SYSTEM

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good overall marks.

But the team, as a whole, needs to be mentally tougher with regards to penalties and inconsistent/sloppy techniques.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper, what's your opinion of Kliff? Are you ok with his as our head coach?
I saw a person who will adapt a scheme to his personnel which is something I like in a HC.

I saw how a guy with a losing college record seemed to get the players on his side and got them to buy in to his vision.

I saw a team that was not great at situational football.

I saw a team that was unprepared for the NFL regular season.

I saw a coach who was aggressive on 4th down.

I saw a team that made a bunch of penalties.

I think he had a really good first season with a bad roster and a rookie QB.

Above average season...B-.

Other than Keim...I am fine with Kliff, Vance and Kyler heading into next year.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"C" As Solar and a couple others have stated his inability to win at the college level is something that still lingers in the back of my head. He has some very positive traits but I think he also has some significant negatives. A good offensive mind with very little involvement in the defense which is why I think Vance was retained. KK is comfortable with Vance handling the defense so he doesn't need to spend significant time on that side of the ball. I think Klingsbury is quite happy with Vance being the head coach on the defensive side of the ball. I think this is one of those traits that led to his inability to win at the college level. Not enough total involvement with the entire team. Does anyone really think that Belichick isn't just as involved on both sides as well as special teams?

I think Klingsbury is who he, is a good offensive coach (Xs and Os) who as a head coach needs to be surrounded by superior coaching talent at all the other areas.

I'm also not one to buy into the inexperience idea, a two minute drill is a two minute drill no matter what level you coach at, milking the clock with the lead is still about grinding out first downs, red zone offense is still limited by the space you have available to play into. This space doesn't change (depth and width of the field) at any level. Game and clock management is still the same. The seconds on the clock don't get longer or shorter at different levels. If you haven't been able to adjust and get more proficient after multiple years at these things, the odds are you probably not going to get better at it.

I think Klingsbury still struggles with the hash mark positions. I think there are some plays he really wants to run that just don't fit on an NFL field. The wide side isn't the same as the college game.

If Klingsbury ends up not being the answer, then you have the conundrum of what to do with Murray if the new HC comes in with a traditional offensive philosophy which doesn't play to Murray's strengths. Will it be back to the drawing broad at QB?

Back when the search for a new HC was on, there was a lot of chatter on candidates and one of those topics was mentioned many times was this guy hasn't been successful in previous stints as a HC so I really don't want him here or he has no pro experience or he wasn't successful at the college level. The reality is that is exactly what we have now.

Arians was more than happy to trust Bowles with his defence; a de facto HC on that side of the ball. Belichek supervises and has more input on the 'D' side, which is his bailiwick. There isn't a HC in the League who is equally knowledgeable of both sides of scrimmage.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
C

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Thanks for the support on the early opinion of KK. I'll say this though, for all of the people who think I hate Kyler, his compact release and ability to move make me feel he can succeed in systems outside of the Air Raid. Now, my opinion is that he ends up more like a Stafford or Rivers if he continues his current path, or could end up as "bad" as Winston/Mariota's early run of things. Stafford/Rivers would be quite alright with me. I'd buy his jersey and enjoy some football.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Arians was more than happy to trust Bowles with his defence; a de facto HC on that side of the ball. Belichek supervises and has more input on the 'D' side, which is his bailiwick. There isn't a HC in the League who is equally knowledgeable of both sides of scrimmage.
Arians coached for an extremely long time in this league, and did not abandon his perspective on the defense for some guy he'd never met. Bowles played for him and was a part of his coaching tree. Bruce knew multiple guys he trusted from a defensive perspective. Pretending he's anything like Kliff, who literally acknowledged he is functionally kicked out of the defensive coaching room, is nonsensical.

Arians has coached three more years than Kingsbury has been alive.