PFT Offensive rookie of the year: Kyler Murray

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Got a feeling the NFL's gonna pull something with their OROTY winner. NFL loves a good underdog story more than anything, so they're gonna put Minshew as ROTY and we're all gonna hate it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the site much but I do wonder what exactly does Jacobs have that deserves the award over Murray? Raiders won 4 games 2 years ago, 7 this year an improvement of 3 wins. Cards improved by 2 wins and a tie. Statistically the Cards were 16th in PPG after being dead last, we went from 14 PPG to just under 23 PPG, we improved our scoring by more than 50%! The Raiders went from 18 PPG to 19 PPG. Jacobs had a terrific year but it's not even debatable who had a bigger impact on his team, they were 6-7 in the games Jacobs played and 1-2 in the games he didn't play, they averaged 19 PPG on the season, and 20 PPG in the 3 games he missed. This was all with a coach in his 13th year as an NFL head coach who among other things won a Super Bowl in Tampa Bay, Murray played all 16 games with a rookie HC with no NFL experience who had a losing record in college(35-40).

I don't think it's hard at all to claim Murray was the best Offensive Rookie this year. I would probably put AJ Brown ahead of Jacobs, he played the whole year and once they put a good QB out there he was terrific.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The commenters are brutalizing PFT for picking Murray, and the thumbs up/down ratings on those comments seem to back up the notion that it's not a popular choice. Oh well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The commenters are brutalizing PFT for picking Murray, and the thumbs up/down ratings on those comments seem to back up the notion that it's not a popular choice. Oh well.
Most of those people in the comments probably didn't even watch him play this year. As to the like to dislike ratio that probably speaks to few that have watched him vs the masses that didn't.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I was a huge proponent of drafting Nick Bosa. But it turned out that Kyler Murray was the best player in the class and the one I would draft in hindsight 10 times out of 10 with no trepidation. So the commentators and “award choosers” can kiss my tuchas. Kyler Murray was the best rookie. Stepped in and started all 16 games ready from day 1

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Most of those people in the comments probably didn't even watch him play this year. As to the like to dislike ratio that probably speaks to few that have watched him vs the masses that didn't.

If The cards were on the east coast Kyler would be a shoe-in. Or if Kyler was a Steeler.

This is really pathetic. AJ had a good rookie year for a WR but still only caught 52 balls. John Brown caught 48 for 700 his rookie year and 65 for over 1000 in his 2nd year and no one even knew who the hell he was till he moved east.

Jacobs had a good season as most rookie RB's who are given a lions share of their teams touches do. But he wasn't popping off the film like AP or Kamara or even Hunt did.

Kyler was electric.